digitaltsai

Can't connect to internet

21 posts in this topic

Ok, so something changed in 1.0.1 that makes it so i can't connect to anything with ApexDC++. I downgraded to 1.0.0 Beta 5 and it works perfectly fine just to make sure. I upgraded again and I can't connect anymore. Both times windows firewall ask if I am to allow the program, and I chose unblock. In 1.0.1, i'm just getting "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." even when I do an update check I get the same error.

Does anyone have any idea why 1.0.1 doesn't work?

Few questions:

• Did you use the setup file to upgrade?
  • Have you changed any settings or kept your old ones from Beta 5?
  • Do you get the same message when disabling windows firewall temporarily?

I used the setup file to upgrade from your downloads page (http://www.apexdc.net/download/).

I don't know if upgrading changed any settings, but I didn't touch them (since I didn't need to change them to get 1.0.0 Beta5 to work)

I get the same message when I disable windows firewall

Should i take screenshots of stuff?

Thanks

Have you tried testing passive mode? Seems a little strange.

Ok, so something changed in 1.0.1 that makes it so i can't connect to anything with ApexDC++. I downgraded to 1.0.0 Beta 5 and it works perfectly fine just to make sure. I upgraded again and I can't connect anymore. Both times windows firewall ask if I am to allow the program, and I chose unblock. In 1.0.1, i'm just getting "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." even when I do an update check I get the same error.

Does anyone have any idea why 1.0.1 doesn't work?

Same here

Was working well with earlier versions.

Upgraded without changing parameters and connection to other users became unreliable.

Did a clean re-install and manually re-entered parameters and no improvement.

When trying to connect to other users it just times out. Leaving it longer does not help.

Have found if I quit out of ApexDC then restart in about 5 seconds, it starts working.

Process has to be repeated most times I start ApexDC.

I suspect it is a new server incompatibility problem with YnHub version: 1.033 produced by Yoshi and Nev (used by our local servers)

BTW

I'm running windows XP pro, fully updated

Behind a billion 7402vgp firewall / router

Manual port forwarding

Fixed TCP & UDP ports

Fixed external wan IP (my ISP allows free local exchange traffic via a second PVC connection)

Funny. I would say that any non-ADC compliant hub is expected to not be compliant with any ADC-compliant client. SDC++ sticks to ADC, afaik, so does Apex. Now it is up to hubsoft devs.

This bug report favors the issue I have came across with many users and the recent one of a user not being able to connect to any hubs at all. I think all these types of reports are related in one way shape or form. I just ain't sure how to duplicate to tell Crise where I think the issue is. If anyone is able to duplicate this then please do give as much info as possible.

Other thing I have noticed is if traffic is attempted in both direction it seam to start working also.

Note uploads seam to work, downloads (eg get file list) appear to suffer from an intermittent set up error / compatibility problem.

passive mode doesn't work.

and the hub im trying to connect to is also "YnHub version: 1.033 produced by Yoshi and Nev."

PtokaX DC Hub 0.4.0.0c appears to have the same problem (difficult to be certain as I didn't use this hub with earlier ApexDC software)

Getting ApexDC to emulate DC++ on these hubs doesn't help

Theta Version of DSHub however works reliably for me

Not sure if it's relevant but Vista attempts to access port 135 when connecting to other users. I usually block this traffic as I don't want all of my locally shared files / printers accessible over the Internet. Temporarily unblocking doesn't help this bug.

However I believe the hubs are running Vista whereas I run windows XP professional.

Little request please state which protocol and hubsofts this issue is affecting...

Little request please state which protocol and hubsofts this issue is affecting...

mmm

I don't understand what you are asking or where to look to find the requested information.

I just connect to the hub (which works) and try to download a file (which keeps timing out).

Uploads from me work fine.

Hope this helps

CDM Debug Messages from startup CDM_Debug_Messages.txt while it

successfully resumes uploading to deadant (IP 10.1.13.236)

but fails to download from Mojo (IP 10.1.8.252) from either hub

Note connected to 2 hubs

YnHub version: 1.033 produced by Yoshi and Nev at IP 10.1.13.252 no password used or required

PtokaX DC Hub 0.4.0.0c at IP 10.1.8.252 password used and required

Edit

Note, restarted ApexDC and the next time it worked properly uploading and downloading as shown in this log CDM_Debug_Messages_working.txt

I think Winfirewall is to blame, disable it, and try again.

My firewall / virus software is Nod32/ ESET Smart Security, so Winfirewall is all ready disabled

Nothing comes up in the ESET fire wall log when running ApexDC (logging is enabled)

Running my computer without a firewall is not an option I'm interested in persuing. If AdexDC 1.01 is incompatible with a ESET, then ApexDC 1.01 goes.

I will try to test it briefly with the firewall option disabled, but that is difficult atm as my hubs are upgrading their software, so need to wait for them to be stable.

Billion router is blocking some traffic for me (ports below 1030 except 411) but disabling that clears the Vista entries to port 135 but doesn't fix ApexDC problem

Can't tell anything about Vista, but Apex 0.4.0 worked fine for me with ESET's NOD32. Will check on the same machine with 1.0.1, but it is running XP.

Can't tell anything about Vista, but Apex 0.4.0 worked fine for me with ESET's NOD32. Will check on the same machine with 1.0.1, but it is running XP.

I run Windows XP, however when I connect to others running Vista -> vista tries to access my computer via 135 (which I block)

Any how I think I may have found the bug

1) Went back to ApexDC 0.4

Error displayed at startup

" Unable to open TCP/TLS port. File transfers will not work correctly until you change settings or turn off any application that might be using the TCP/TLS port"

However ApexDC 0.4 work properly

2) Disabled the 3 TLS settings in ApexDC 0.4

ApexDC 0.4 still work properly

3) Upgraded to ApexDC 1.01

ApexDC 1.01 appears to be work properly, but still early in testing.

Conclusion

ApexDC 0.4 tests for TLS connectivity problems and handles them well

ApexDC 1.01 does not tests for TLS connectivity problems and connects intermittently is there is a problem.

Could be wrong, but that's my current theory

Edit

TLS settings changed were

Settings --> advanced --> Security --> All 3 check boxes de-selected

Well for starters you need to open the ports you set in settings, and second important note, do not attempt to use TLS (as in 99% of cases you even can't use it as it is something ADC specific, and most hubs today still operate on NMDC)

Well for starters you need to open the ports you set in settings,

I have or course done that, and more, which is why ApexDC 0.4 works

My understanding is ApexDc uses the following ports

80 to Version check site, IP address changed between 0.4 and 1.x versions

411 (or what ever Hub operates on)

User_port: specified in setup, port forwarding TCP/UDP to it required

1024 and above for data transfers,

---(I only allow 1030 and above as lower ports are often used by windows so may pose a security risk)

and second important note, do not attempt to use TLS (as in 99% of cases you even can't use it as it is something ADC specific, and most hubs today still operate on NMDC)

I had the ApexDC TLC setting left at their default from a clean install, which is enabled. If this is incorrect could I suggest the default settings be changed.

BTW

I am not trying to insult the development team, I'm trying to help make the software more stable.

Just to summarise. Things I've found which prevent ApexDC from downloading / Problem check list

1) Write protection in ApexDC program directory. Several logs are stored their by default. If you run from a non administrator account you need to enable read / write access to this directory

2) PC firewall - if unsure temporarily disable it to see if it makes a difference

3) Router firewall - again temporarily disable if there are problems

4) Port forward the ports you specify in settings -> connection settings. Alternatively get upnp to do it but that require it to be enabled on the pc, router and firewalls

5) TLS settings. Defaults to on in ApexDC 1.01 but apparently not widely supported. Disable it by

Settings --> advanced --> Security --> De-selected all 3 check boxes

Edit

6) Try ApexDC 0.4, seams to be more tolerant. (Disable version update notification via "setup -> advanced -> Don't announce new ApexDC++ versions")

If that works then try upgrading from 0.4 rather than clean installing 1.01 Worked for me

If anyone else has found other hints then listing them in this or a similar thread is probably useful

5) TLS settings. Defaults to on in ApexDC 1.01 but apparently not widely supported. Disable it by

Settings --> advanced --> Security --> De-selected all 3 check boxes

On further testing I don't believe this is correct as re-selecting them made no difference.

What I believed happened was Apex stopped working at about the time I did a clean install.

Reverting back to earlier betas didn't help.

Reverting back to 0.4 fixed the problem

Subsequent upgrading to 1.01 did not re-create the problem

So in summary a clean install of 1.x --> intermittent connection problems

Upgrade from 0.4 to 1.01 --> correct function.

Not sure why this works but it does for me. Makes me wonder of a default parameter is not being initialised properly on 1.01

Could be the same issue occurring here http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=2571&hl=