Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Corey

Direct connection and dynamic ip

17 posts in this topic

is there anyway to soft automaticly updates my ip so I don't have to everytime manually opet properties of hub and paste my ip adress in direct connection field, it's so annoying.

Maybe problem was that I set manually for each hub direct, so I needed also to update my ip.

I tried it, but still I need to update sometimes IP manually, what's the catch ? I selected Direct Connection in preferences, but sometimes it doesn't work, so I must manually select it in hub properties.

Use a dns updater. e.g. get a dyndns addy, run the program which auto updates your ip to that dns. put that dns in the connection settings of apex.

I think what he is saying though is that you still have to re-enter the IP into your settings, as well as in favorite hubs. Even if you have the client set to update on start up, you have to make the changes in Fav hub settings, although it will auto update in settings.

I use a ip updater, to monitor my ip adress as well as hold a domain, but I still have to be on the watch for a change and make sure that the address is current throughout the client.

Yes, we understand that, using a DNS instead of a numeric IP will fix that.

Use a dns updater. e.g. get a dyndns addy, run the program which auto updates your ip to that dns. put that dns in the connection settings of apex.

Hot can I do that ?

Go to Dyndns.org and create an account, enter the details into your router if it allows, if not, download DynDNS DUC and enter them there.

It's not a bug that needs fixing....

Indeed, it's just a potential feature we don't have, as a perfectly acceptable solution as mentioned above is available. If you want to request this feature then try searching the Feature Requests forum for it, and if no such topic exists about it then feel free to create one. This feature will not be added really soon even if it does get added to the todo list, so using a DynDNS account is the simplist solution to your problem.

This topic has been started a few times in Feature request......I understand what he is saying though. As I sated in other strings on this topic. It's not an issue whether Apex updates the IP or not in the settings, or even using a updater suck as no-ip. The issue if thats what it can be called is that it does not change the ip address complete for each hub, in the direct connect tab in your favorite hubs.

It is not a bug, your correct, it is a feature that could make thing easier. I have an ISP that will frequently change sometimes as high as 4 or 5 times a day, if the isp, is having issues. no-ip will change along with it, but you still have to go back and type that new IP address in the direct connect window in fav. hubs, as well as check the IP link in your connections.

This is no bigee I guess if you don't have to be in active mode to share completely with others, but in order to be active, the IP's do have to be correct and it's just a pain in the keester to constantly monitoring your ip address.

If you have a correctly updated DynDNS account and use it in the main settings window then you should not be entering the details individually into favorite hubs, why are you doing this?

If you have a correctly updated DynDNS account and use it in the main settings window then you should not be entering the details individually into favorite hubs, why are you doing this?

simple, ....because it will not enter the information for you....Anytime an IP address changes, your IP will not change in your settings tab, unless you restart the client. Unless you happen to notice it has changed through DynDNS.....However you still have to change the IP in your direct connect window in Fav windows, because it will not auto update....If the IP Changes while you are not around your PC then you will find yourself in a passive mode.

The reason, why it has to be entered into the Fav Hub. direct connect window is because....speaking for myself , the client will not function in the active mode unless you do enter the correct ip there. And I have been using Apex since it was it was peer web....I find this to be one of the major causes for a user not being Active in my hub, even though they have a correct ip address entered in the settings tab.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0