ataraxia

ApexDC 1.0.1 not working for me

18 posts in this topic

Ok I just got the notice that 1.0.1 was out so I upgraded. Just now. Right after I got that "you have old version that might cause problems" popup message. Everything seemed to go okay...

Now I can't connect to ANY of my hubs :) They all hang during the "sending password" part, and eventually timeout... Everything else Internet related on my computer works fine. The settings in my ApexDC are all there and what they are supposed to be...

I double checked with an old copy of dc++ that I have on my box and I was able to connect to my hubs, so I know it's the new Apex release. Odds are this can't be JUST happening to me so hopefully someone is working on this.

I'm just dead in the water right now DC wise. Any help will be appreciated! :)

Edit: Can I grab 1.0b5 and "downgrade" over the 1.0.1 I just installed or will that make it worse???

Man this is frustrating :)

I feel like it has to be something simple I am overlooking, but I have no idea what :)

Someone please help me! Many thanks in advance! :)

Have you checked your firewall? Because .exe checksum is changed firewall might had asked you if you still want to allow ApexDC.exe to access the Internet... (they blocking Internet access for files which checksum is changed to prevent "trojans" to do their job)

I don't know what the problem was, really. The 10th time or so that I tried to start it, it stated normally and connected me to all my hubs just like always. I had just got through making a backup copy of my Settings directory before I tried to downgrade and opened it one more time to see, and it worked!

A friend of mine said the same thing happened to him on one of the StrongDC updates he added a while back, so we figured since Apex is based off Strong maybe its just some odd bug...

At any rate, no more problems at all now. Next time I'll be sure to give it at least 10 attempts before I report a problem LOL! :(

This is smth for which I suspect Windows Firewall being guilty. It often unblocks apps long time after user has made the settings (maybe after restarting Windows).

Nah, I'm not using Windows firewall or anything like that, and I didn't restart my PC...

Yesterday evening, however, it happened again. I was chatting with someone in the ApexDC app and suddenly I noticed all my ups and downs switched from progress bars to "Connecting...." And I was unable to send chats. Nothing I typed showed up. I called my friend who is a hub owner of one of he hubs and as far as he could see I was still logged into the hub, but he couldn't pull my file list or anything like that.

I sat there for a while to see if it would maybe start back up, but after like 15 minutes decided to close the client. Then when I restarted it, it did the same thing it had done the other day... Connected to all the hubs, but hung at the sending password part. I closed them all and tried just connecting to one hub, but the same thing. I closed the Apex and opened it a few more times and it was the same.

All the rest of my Internet was 100% OK, and I also fired up an older DC++ client and manually connected to one of my hubs and that worked fine. Then I tried the same with ApexDC and same issue still. I tried a few more times and then gave up and went and did something else for a while. Then I came back to the PC and started ApexDC and *POOF* everything was normal, and it's been running normally ever since.

Very strange...

PS: Willing to run a checked build or something if you think it might help...

i had the same thing happen - turns out my IP changed. I clicked on update IP in settings and everything worked again. Seems the check IP isn't automatic. Perhaps that could be addressed.

Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked, but my IP has not changed at all.

And hey, NavyRet! Small world, LOL! :)

Ok, now THIS is new...

Was using ApexDC and my computer blue screened - the default generic message that tells you nothing. Nothing also in any event logs :rolleyes: Got back up and started ApexDC, and nothing happened...

I looked and my Favourite Hubs and Favourite users were blank. I checked the XML files in settings. All blank default. LUCKILY I had made that backup of Settings folder since I was thinking of going back to the beta version. I copied back over that Settings folder and got everything back except my download queue :thumbsup:

Not sure if this is related to the other problem, but it was a first for me, thats for sure!

So unless anyone has any idea about this bug I found, is it possible for me to install the Beta 5 over this 1.0.1 without causing problems? The beta had been working rock-solid for me for quite a while...

Many thanks in advance for any help! :stuart:

This type of issue with the connecting sounds like the same type of issue I was trying to report before the release of Apex Final. Only difference is you are having the issue not only with downloads/uploads you are having the issue connecting to any hubs at all. I have many people who all the sudden there downloads/uploads just quit for no reason and it takes several restarts and maybe even a timed break before it works again. I wonder if the 2 issues aren't related in some way. The only thing I haven't experienced with this same general issue you are having is this blue screen you are reporting.

Apex has BSOD'ed my PC on occasion, but considering one of my HDD's is currently giving up the ghost I have always assumed it was the culprit, but as this is being reported by other people too, perhaps ApDC is causing the problem....I don't know :S

Apex has BSOD'ed my PC on occasion, but considering one of my HDD's is currently giving up the ghost I have always assumed it was the culprit, but as this is being reported by other people too, perhaps ApDC is causing the problem....I don't know :S

Well if that is the case then I am out... my skills are not enough when we go into OS and hardware level this deep that any precautions of the system fail and all that is left for it is BSOD (especially when I have not seen this myself even).

But well, considering that I have come this far... I am quite ok with it, as long as it works for me.

Can you somehow connect the blue screen with Apex, for sure?

No I cannot. However, I have bluescreened before and not lost all my ApexDC settings, which is what made me wonder. Like I said, I don't know if the two things are even related... I just added it since it was odd...

The main bug of not being able to negotiate a hub connection past the password point is the only thing that has happened more than once, so it was duplicated exactly.

This type of issue with the connecting sounds like the same type of issue I was trying to report before the release of Apex Final. Only difference is you are having the issue not only with downloads/uploads you are having the issue connecting to any hubs at all. I have many people who all the sudden there downloads/uploads just quit for no reason and it takes several restarts and maybe even a timed break before it works again. I wonder if the 2 issues aren't related in some way. The only thing I haven't experienced with this same general issue you are having is this blue screen you are reporting.

What you mention is EXACTLY how it happens to me! First I notice that all my upload/download go to "Connecting..." and at that point I am in some hung up state, unreachable from people in the hubs I am in. Then when I restart, I get hung up at connecting at the "sending password" part until the hub times out on me. Once I tried over and over until it finally worked after the 10th try or maybe more. The other time I walked away for like 15 minutes and then it worked. If you have other people reporting the same thing, then I am so glad that it is NOT just me! :rolleyes:

There's a real good chance the bluescreen is not related to the connection problem. The bluescreen did not occur WHILE I was having the connection problem. I just thought it was odd that Apex lost all of its settings, but maybe thats a completely different bug or even known issue *shrug*

I do not think the blue screen issue is related to ApexDC. If you received the BOSD then most likely Apex errored on close due to windows crashing resulting in BOSD. One of the most common types of BOSD would happen if the memory resources of the computer itself were maxed. This would cause all open programs to max out and close unexpectedly. Anytime a program closes unexpectedly without proper shutdown you stand the chance of losing all data and returning itself to default. This is just first nature in any computer software. However I do think your other issue is related to the issue I am having. I also have a hunch on a bit of where the issue may of generated from and am currently testing this theory and will report my findings to Crise and Lee.

Edited by Mikey

That's great... Crossing my fingers and knocking on fake wood here, the "losing connection/unable to connect" bug has not happened to me again yet. If you think you have a fix, more power to you because I got out of software development years ago.. lol:)

Now I do not think the BSOD was caused by Apex. Apex also was not the only app to suffer a loss, I lost all my firefox settings as well, for example. I may find even more. It was caused by my hard drive :rolleyes: Chalk one up for SMART logs LOL! :thumbsup:

Well if that is the case then I am out... my skills are not enough when we go into OS and hardware level this deep that any precautions of the system fail and all that is left for it is BSOD (especially when I have not seen this myself even).

But well, considering that I have come this far... I am quite ok with it, as long as it works for me.

TBH I refuse to believe that Apex is doing anything until vista is more stable. it's disk management is awful! I have 7 hdd's in this PC and it doesn't like that AT ALL. So until they sort that out I will not be replacing my HDD and I Dont think you need to attempt to fix a prob which may not exist.