Old Indain

IP Updater

21 posts in this topic

Heres a suggestion that I am sure would be way to complicated and resource eating to be feasible, but it sure would be a sweet one.

What if, in the perfect client there would be a function that would auto check your IP address & update said IP in settings, as well as in the favorite hubs properties?

I know, I know it's frivolous, but ...Hey what the heck!

If you live with a ISP such as mine where the IP address tends to change like a dirty T-shirt someday s, you think of all kinds of things.

afaik it was discussed already, can not remember what Crise decided tho. But it will not be too complicated, neither resource-eating (maybe just a timer on the already existing "Get external IP" button). It is worth to have, but imo not top priority, since there are third-party apps (f. ex. the DUC client), which will work for all your active apps when IP changes, while Apex updater probably won't help for the other apps.

afaik it was discussed already, can not remember what Crise decided tho. But it will not be too complicated, neither resource-eating (maybe just a timer on the already existing "Get external IP" button). It is worth to have, but imo not top priority, since there are third-party apps (f. ex. the DUC client), which will work for all your active apps when IP changes, while Apex updater probably won't help for the other apps.

yes I use no-ip as an updater, the issue ....if thats what it can be called, is that when the ip does change, your not always there to catch it. I guess what I was thinking of is something that would detect the ip change and just auto update the settings in the client automatically.

But like you say it is not a real high priority thing, just a nifty little gadget for us lazy Old Guys that sit around all day and think up stuff.....lol

afaik no-ip updates the IP just fine, on every 5 mins or like that. So you are not "nailed" to the PC.

I have a suggestion to IP updater... we need a checkboxes to choose the interface needed.

Couldn't you leave that the way StrongDC handles it? You just enter a dyndns address and it doesn't get resolved (apex converts it to IP now). Instead leave it to the windows dns client and the router dyndsn updater (everyone has one these days) to update the IP when it changes. Much easier to configure active mode in apex, and leave everything else to the user to configure their router correctly and/or install a dyndns updater software on the PC.

Couldn't you leave that the way StrongDC handles it? You just enter a dyndns address and it doesn't get resolved (apex converts it to IP now). Instead leave it to the windows dns client and the router dyndsn updater (everyone has one these days) to update the IP when it changes. Much easier to configure active mode in apex, and leave everything else to the user to configure their router correctly and/or install a dyndns updater software on the PC.

that would work for me. Although apex does up the ip address in the settings, it is the favhubs that gets missed, and that may not affect most users.

ut if you are trying to keep everything in active mode and direct connect to the hub, it can be a pain in the butt on some days when your primo ISP changes your IP every couple of hours.

there is a topic on this forum describing on how to use DynDns to keep your IP steady.

not much complicated, but works just fine.

i've been using it for months now :thumbsup:

yep....I use a dynamic service very similar to DyNs, to hold or maintainin the IP, keeping the ip is not the (problem) if it can be called that.

at our hub we try to get everyone on a active connection, in order to maintain an active setting you need to keep the ip address current in favorite hubs...direct connect, plus the current ip...My Isp will change a IP on me as high as 5 times a day.

so, the client keeps the ip current, as well as my no-ip, but it does not auto update in the favorite hub setting.

like I stated before it is no big deal, you just have to keep an eye on it, and whenever your unable to connect to a passive user, you know it is time to update that IP.

I simply do not understand...

I am using "Firewall with manual port forwarding". Further. my Fav Hubs have empty value, I just point to the LAN adres for my 4 local hubs (right, they are on a PC on another LAN port of my router, but it is the same in theory?). So, if you manage to update the IP in settings, all should be OK.

yeah I don't understand it either. But if I don't fill in the ip address in fav. hubs I will get a false active and will not be able to connect to a passive user, and it seems to be the case with all of our apex users on our hub.

Let me ask you this...In settings/connection......the client updates the IP right, then you have the network interface for all connections window in the top right.

I have found it works best for me if I use my static router assigned IP address...192.168.x.x . But I cannot not go completely active until I check direct connect and enter the ip in the fav hubs.

I am also running the hub on a separate server. via remote .

I think I may have tried every angle of setting this up, but that is what seems to work best for me as well as others using apex on the hub, at least this has been the way we have corrected the active problem.

But ya know how thats how it goes, there has to be something I/ we are missing.

I dont enter anything into the WAN box or into faves, my active works fine in apex.

I dont enter anything into the WAN box or into faves, my active works fine in apex.

Same here. But I need to give Apex some time, don't know why. It just suddenly starts working. Say after 5 or 10 mins.

Odd, how are you port's forwarded?

The only time I have experienced such behaviour is when windows is resolving the IP and as you know, unless the IP matchs that in your forwarding rule it wont work.

Odd, how are you port's forwarded?

The only time I have experienced such behaviour is when windows is resolving the IP and as you know, unless the IP matchs that in your forwarding rule it wont work.

Yeah it is a funny one Satan....But I think my port forwarding is ok...I have both tcp and udp open to port 7777....they are the same in the client and router....I wondered at one time if it was my router, because it is a bit flaky on torrents...But I can't see why it would have a hard time with apex, when everything else is stable.

Try using a port scanner. Radmin have a good free one. Good way to double check the ports are open.

Make sure it is scanning all ports.

Try using a port scanner. Radmin have a good free one. Good way to double check the ports are open.

Make sure it is scanning all ports.

Ok I got that port scanner...All my ports checkout fine.....Ya know this is not a issue specific to me though. It has been my experience, in order to help other using apex on my hub, it has been the case of setting that IP address in the favorite hub direct connect window, in order to go active.

So I kind of wonder if maybe it is a hub software related thing...I use ynhub to run our hub, but I can't see how that could be.

thanks for all your feed back though. Like I say it is no big deal, but it is one of those little nagging things that ya just can't leave alone...lol

Hey just a update on this ongoing thing I have been dragging out....this morning I had a hell of a time with my ISP and had to reconfig all my network connections....So I thought what the hell I unchecked the direct connect tab and took out the IP address in favorite hubs and Lo and behold it worked fine, everything is active.

Thanks for letting me toss this around, don't have a clue what changed, but hey, it works so I ain't messin with it....thanks satan and everyone else.

Glad it's sorted.

I believe this a common router flaw tbh. Mine is the same, sometimes my router seems to get 'mixed up' with it's rules. If I reset to factory and reconfig everything is works again.

I have always used netgear so I don't know if it's there thing or not. Sometimes it doesn't seem to apply the rules correctly.

Glad it's sorted.

I believe this a common router flaw tbh. Mine is the same, sometimes my router seems to get 'mixed up' with it's rules. If I reset to factory and reconfig everything is works again.

I have always used netgear so I don't know if it's there thing or not. Sometimes it doesn't seem to apply the rules correctly.

You may be right on the router thing. I noticed mine did a strange thing to me when I had to take over hosting on my side this morning. It was as if the port had died or something, so I ended up doing the same thing you did.

I use a Linksys router, and it does have known issues with torrents, but so far has been great with dc.