jck

disable waiting time between searches

19 posts in this topic

the mos irritating thing about apexdc is the waiting time between searches...

how do i disable it

You can turn it down (to 0 if you like) in advanced settings, however, most hubs will kick you for this....

how do i do it..???

i used classic dc but had no problem so i guess this wont be too

oops sorry... i figured it out.. thanks

it seems the lowest is 10

how can i make it lower

Most hubs will just ignore you if you do that, so what's the point ?

Most hubs will just ignore you if you do that, so what's the point ?

exactly... if you ask me: this feature kicks ass because most hubs have a predefined search interval (10s - a couple of minutes)

only thing you will get by disabling this is a message from the hub saying "minimum search interval is ?? s"

helps really when you search for alternates.

(if you like) you can do a 100 of searches by TTH and if you got your interval right you will never get the above mentioned message and most important: you will find what you are looking for.

Well, some LAN hubs may allow <10 secs. Why not let user choose?

because it would overload hub when there's many search request

Again taking decisions on behalf of the hub owners. :crying:

So as a hub owner I am a fool. Maybe that's why the eMule, w/o fool-proofing, can be used by fools. :-P Actually it can be solved quite easy - if Apex detects that the hub and PC's IPs are respectively a.b.c.y and a.b.c.z, obviously this is a LAN environment, so restrictions could be less.

First - not all LANs contains only a 253 computers as you offer imply. And second - NMDC and eMule protocols and the client functioning are way too different to say that the thing working fine with eMule will work fine with ApexDC.

First - not all LANs contains only a 253 computers as you offer imply.
True, but most lans do use the ip ranges 10.x.x.x , 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x , 192.168.x.x

So as a hub owner I am a fool. Maybe that's why the eMule, w/o fool-proofing, can be used by fools. :-P Actually it can be solved quite easy - if Apex detects that the hub and PC's IPs are respectively a.b.c.y and a.b.c.z, obviously this is a LAN environment, so restrictions could be less.

+

True, but most lans do use the ip ranges 10.x.x.x , 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x , 192.168.x.x

--------------------

Idea :P Also, maybe it is reasonable to enter in a box somewhere in the client, the LAN's range, say 192.168.5.1-192.168.5.254. Then restrictions could "fall" automatically for all connected hubs in this range. Cheating might be avoided by a speed test to hub/checking hops no.?

Zlobomir is right.

However, there's a problem... if you put a different search time for different hubs, when you search something on both hubs how much will you have to wait until search works ? Is it possible to time both hubs at a time and postpone search on others until the last hub's search interval timeouts ?

Dummy solution is to add also "LAN search counter" in the search frame.

i think default should be 10 but an OPTION to go lower (stop blocking my down clicks)

OPTIONS are good (almost?) ALWAYS

too many options make clutter...

hubowners can kick/ignore users that search too fast

currently all my hubs have the time between searches at 1 sec, i tried having it 10 but there was no lag increase, mainly because i run small hubs 200-300 users.

Nobody has complained about the that limit on the hub but users using apex have complained a bit :)

I dont see the problem with a search interval tbh.....i've got so used to having one now it doesn't bother me....mine is 45seconds.