Aztek

Auto Updater

Auto Updater   16 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good or bad idea ?

• This is a good idea !
    • This is not a good idea !

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I want to suggest an auto updater for ApexDC++

The "how" is simple (i think)

1. Client checks every x hours/days for an update on apexdc server

2. If an update is awalible, the user is prompted to update (by bubble popup or window popup)

3. If user clicks Yes to the update, the update is downloaded, and auto installed

4. Auto installer is downloaded and launched (requests elevation for vista)

5. Auto Installer closes apexdc.exe

6. Auto Installer updates all files that need updating

7. Auto Installer relaunches apexdc.exe

8. ApexDC runs

9. Auto Installer auto closes :)

10. ApexDC reports that an update was successful and the version now being run :)

Makes the thought of "updating" more fun :P

What do you think ??

This is a good idea but have been posted before but never been made.

I can´t see what the problem is, we already have a update checker so all it´s needing is a button that says update and install, that button would close ApexDC and lunch a small updater that would automaticly dl ApexDC.exe and ApexDC.pdb from server, when done dl-ing it would delete the old ones and replace it with the new and then lunch ApexDC again updated.

Will be nice, except for the cases when f.ex. download queue management is changed. But a warning could be added for these. :P

Nice idea. Also a backup of old ApexDC++ will be good, in the case where the update fails. So the user can make a manual roll-back.

Code was in place for this, but was removed until after 1.0 final because it needed more work.

I'd go with the fully automatic update. Display a balloon once downloaded (downloading is done automatically) and let it there for 12 hours. After 12 hours from the finished download, if the user doesn't click "yes" (or "not now", "no should not be an option), update automatically using the method described above.

I'd also do something else: the updated ApexDC++ binaries, in a super-tightly-packed install package, should be placed in the user's share, without him having the ability to control it. Any update will therefore attempt to segmented-download from users, and resort to the site only if it has no users to download from at that moment.

don't like the bit with sharing of install package. Might get viruses, and we will loose download hits.

I don't see that happening Zlo, uTorrent uses the same thing and it works fine.

Well, if implemented, so the *exe-backup* must be the important sub-feature of auto-updater. Afaik, some settings transfer incorrectly while moving to new versions (f.e the share problem noticed at 1.0.0.b5-->1.0.1.Final, also the quicksearch window was invisible until i deleted /Settings folder, and so on...).

Sure, this feature/setting must be disabled by default (or we get thousands of angry users at new release date).

i know about a VERY successful client that uses this kind of auto updating...

Steam www.steampowered.com

Whenever there is an update, you get the option "Restart Now" or "Later" but if you do close steam, it updates when you start it next time anyways...

I find this VEERY convenient and i always click restart now :) (does not restart the computer, just the program :D)

Why don't you just contact Valve (steam gods) to ask for how exactly the auto updater works :)

The Steam project is NOT open source. As a result, you may find Valve will not tell you.

uTorrent on the other hand....

hey we got final, get this in men, i know you can do it, i even renewed my subscription as encouragement to make this :)

I like the idea of autosharing the update file to minimize bandwidth usage on the server, network (for people with internal dc hubs), etc. Nearly all the decent torrent clients do this.