Pedja

Why forcing ApexDC++ update?

23 posts in this topic

I can understand that ApexDC++ insists on informig user that there is new version, but forcin user to download it is really not understandable. What if user is not in position to upgrate at the moment? Why making Apex unusable until upgraded?

You devastated our local community today. We use ApexDC for local communication within network. We have internet link but it is very slow. Today, all ApexDC clients found out that there is Beta 5, and they insisted that user must download it. Otherwise they were unable to start ApexDC++.

Since link is slow, nobody was able to download and our community fell apart. peopel were unable to start DC and that meant they were unable to communicate to each other to find out alternate palces to get new version of Apex (as it was impossible to download it from Apex site).

I am really pissed of....

We wish to ensure all beta users are using up to date version... use the last stable version (0.4.0 st the time of writing this) to avoid these issues until 1.0.0 Final is out.

Pedja, we understand your issue and are sympathic towards the community. We just cannot allow people to use the previous beta's due to the issues found in them. We'll take note of this and consider something in the future (possible delay until the update is forced).

I also think one should not FORCE anybody to upgrade. In my case, for some reason, Beta 5 isn't working (can't connect to any hub with the previous settings from beta 4) and I had to reinstall the Beta 4 version.

UPDATE: I found out what was wrong....the BIND ADDRESS option. (seems to me it only works with 0.0.0.0). But anyway...one should be able to use the old version if something doesn't work in the new one regardless of the reason (new configuration required, user error, etc.)

We'll take note of this and consider something in the future (possible delay until the update is forced).

How about re-enabling B4 until B5 stabilizes more. If there's some way that B4 harms the network, let's hear details so we know why we have to go back to 0.4.0.

How about re-enabling B4 until B5 stabilizes more. If there's some way that B4 harms the network, let's hear details so we know why we have to go back to 0.4.0.

Either use 0.4.0 or stay on the latest beta. :)

Either use 0.4.0 or stay on the latest beta. :)

Not without a good reason. :thumbsup: I'll stick with B4 for now.

We wish to ensure all beta users are using up to date version... use the last stable version (0.4.0 st the time of writing this) to avoid these issues until 1.0.0 Final is out.

I believe you are the only one's to forces uch policy. If somoene decides to use beta, he problely does that because he need an option available in that beta ant not in stable release, and he found out stable enough beta to use it. If it works for him, why would you decide for him to upgrade? I cannon imagine nothing else but selfish reasons.

It is just enough to warn user that there is new version outthere and offer him to download it. If he would follow is just his own decision. It is really incorrect to shut down his version just because you decide so.

Even if you really inist on such illogical idea to force user to download new version, is it really necessary to disable his current version and thus make it unusable? What goal would you liek to achieve except tha tpeople would be irritatted enought to stop using your applciation. You are playing gods or what?

After this today, I have realy strong pressure from the network members to ban ApexDC form our hubs. It is very close that you wil use few hundred users just on our hub... because if you insist, our network admins can play gods to, and simply decide to forbid ApexDC++ and force users to "chose" something else.

I believe you are the only one's to forces uch policy. If somoene decides to use beta, he problely does that because he need an option available in that beta ant not in stable release, and he found out stable enough beta to use it. If it works for him, why would you decide for him to upgrade? I cannon imagine nothing else but selfish reasons.

It is just enough to warn user that there is new version outthere and offer him to download it. If he would follow is just his own decision. It is really incorrect to shut down his version just because you decide so.

Even if you really inist on such illogical idea to force user to download new version, is it really necessary to disable his current version and thus make it unusable? What goal would you liek to achieve except tha tpeople would be irritatted enought to stop using your applciation. You are playing gods or what?

After this today, I have realy strong pressure from the network members to ban ApexDC form our hubs. It is very close that you wil use few hundred users just on our hub... because if you insist, our network admins can play gods to, and simply decide to forbid ApexDC++ and force users to "chose" something else.

Yeah, it's exactly like you banning older versions of clients. The older beta builds are not intended to be kept running when there's a new version out. That is why we force you to upgrade, since we do not want the old betas on the network. Betas are for testing purposes, and once we have a new beta to test, people should help with that.

Like I said, we'll rethink the forcing of betas after we release 1.0 final. There is no need to ban all versions of ApexDC++, allow 0.4.0 only for instance. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Not without a good reason. :thumbsup: I'll stick with B4 for now.

You cant, B4 no longer works.

You cant, B4 no longer works.

Half the people on the private hub I use are still using it, including me. :)

I think that you don't understand the purpose of Beta version. Once you wanted to use it, then you agree with testing process. If you don't want to test beta version, don't use any beta version. It's easy. Beta versions are for testers and if you are normal user, don't use it.

Half the people on the private hub I use are still using it, including me. :)

Well if you close it and open it again it will disable itself I'm sure.

Well if you close it and open it again it will disable itself I'm sure.

It did, as I already posted. It also didn't take long to figure out how to get it running again.

To me, when you accept a public beta, you are accepting that the software may contain undiscovered bugs, not limits on its use just because it's called "beta" or a promise to use any particular beta version. A good citizen will try them and report bugs, which I do.

I've run betas that work for years. Linksys router firmware and Nvidia video drivers are good examples of companies that put out a lot of betas, some of which work well and get used long term. It simply means it isn't well tried and tested.

The operative sentence is 'to me'.

You buy on what beta is, it your opinion, to which your entitled.

And MikeS, even if you are right for most of the software, we have limited resources for development. We can not afford to receive reports about already solved bugs, trash the forum, etc. And even alphas versions are for testers here, not betas. We made a jesture to you all, hoping to give you a better client at the moment and even better one after a time, when the testing for the respective version ends. Well, it ended. Don't try to bite the hand that has feeded you. :)

This is of course my personal view on the things. If you think I am wrong, please let me know why. I like argumented discussions.

You are really unsensitive to others points of view (as you prooved many times before).

I can even understand that you force people to upgrade in some reasonable time frame, and not to shut down his version the first moment it finds out that there is an update. Give people 30 days or so so they can upgrade when tit is suitable to do so.

What you do is emidiately shutting down application and cutting people off. You behave like everyone like you has unlimited internet access and can download whenever he likes to. It is simply that: you are selfish, you do not care about other people situation and opinion.

You are really unsensitive to others points of view (as you prooved many times before).

I object, I am not!

I can even understand that you force people to upgrade in some reasonable time frame, and not to shut down his version the first moment it finds out that there is an update. Give people 30 days or so so they can upgrade when tit is suitable to do so.

What you do is emidiately shutting down application and cutting people off. You behave like everyone like you has unlimited internet access and can download whenever he likes to. It is simply that: you are selfish, you do not care about other people situation and opinion.

IMO this was a mistake (and I am clean, didn't decided on it). We are no Gods, sh*t happens. We offered our apologies. We promised to think about and change that. What more?

Any -beta isn't for "production" use anyway. use at your own risk. - enforcing such rules shows professionalism towards making a good application.

If you don't like the way we handle the usage of the beta software which is released (purely so people can test it and help us fix bugs for next version), then don't use them. Revert back to 0.4 or be prepared to follow the path to the next stable version, as we see fit. Any version which we do not consider stable should be phased out if bugs in them are fixed. What is it that changed in Beta 5 that people dislike?

Why can't people see the reasoning behind beta builds, They are for testing purposes only & as such developers have the right to disable earlier versions. The ApexDC team are kind enough to allow the general public access to these builds, as such we ought to be grateful to be included in the testing thereof. No wonder there is no regular public opportunity to test any alpha builds, also good job the development team don't show the same attitude otherwise this wonderful client would never have got past version 0.0.1. Keep up the good work on an excellent client & don't let the moaners get on your nerves.

Thanks Claust, and on that note we should close this. :thumbsup: