Skywalker

Multiply Search

8 posts in this topic

Hi!

I use built in Apex Notepad to store some notes about files that I would like to find. Right now I have about 60 notes about needed files. To walk through that list I copy a file name, click Ctrl+S, paste the file name and search. And repeat these actions for 60 times. If there would be ability to select some notes in notepad, right click and select in popup menu something like "Search for Selection" (similar to "Search for alternatives" in downoad queue, only with breaking by new line) it would save a lot of time.

Do you have plans to implement something like that in future versions?

So you would want to search for in example 30 items at once?

Hubs only let you search once in some cases up to 300 seconds or even more. And yes we need to take into account public hubs.

Besides on private hubs with no search intervals it will give a huge strain on hubsoftware.

But Apex has similar functionality now: navigate to download queue, select all items, right click and select "Search for Alternatives". As a result it opens new search tabs for each row. The same logic I suggest for search by names from notepad.

Besides, absence of a such feature doesn't stop users from opening many search tabs. Right now I open 60 tabs, enter file names, run searches and (taking into account that in my local hub search interval is 30sec) I go for a tea(untill all searches will be finished and I can look through the search results). So as I understand the load on a server is the same (as with automatic search feature), but right now I need to spend additional 10-15 minutes to enter all file names manually.

Load on hub is not the same, because you waste 15 mins in typing and pressing search on the frames, one by one. However I do not see why this can't be implemented. Exactly for this hubs have minimum search interval, and it will be great on local hubs, where bandwidth is enough.

Exactly for this hubs have minimum search interval.

Having search interval doesn't mean we can send as many search requests as we like.

Surely it is just as easy to type into search box as into notepad?

It take the same time to type in a search box and in a notepad. But I am describing another situation: in the notepad I have a list of files which I needed but can't find right now in my local network. So I research for them time to time. So I already have list in the notepad and I need to reenter them in the search tab every time when I do search again. Ability to automatic open search tabs for items in notepad would be very helpful in a such situation :)

Having search interval doesn't mean we can send as many search requests as we like.

Yes, so we do not need to worry about hub load. With this option, search will be submitted immediately, and done acc. to the interval of the hub.