Zlobomir

Recommend a router

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

My old Trendnet TW100-S4W1CA was constantly refusing to do port forwarding, and I burned it trusting the wire mark, while connecting it to a PC PSU. So I will be thankful if you could recommend me a new router. Here are some requirements, feel free to discuss on them tho :whistling: :

1. Basically all as TW100-S4W1CA, but +: Real firewall instead of NAT, NAPT, multiple DMZ hosts, speed limiting per LAN port (ideally up/down separately and per time period), QoS.

2. Ability to maintain many open connectins (I've seen comparison charts about this I hope you get what I mean).

3. Gigabit LAN ports (not really necessary, if price is reasonable I can add a Gb switch).

4. Wi-Fi support is welcome.

5. Anything useful you can think of.

Environment: Running hubs, downloading with all kinds of apps, gaming, sharing I-net between 4 PCs.

Well I have always when with Netgear, I currently use the Rangemax NEXT router.

However it doesn't have multiple DMZ.

Here is the router I run and am very happy with it. It has held up well with all the hubs I run and the traffic going through it and it has some SPI inspection so it has held up a bit better then my older router in a DDoS from some of these n00bs on DC. It may or may not be exactly what you want but I figure by maybe showing what kind people run you can get a better idea of what will work for you.

*Edit Per Request if Zlobomir*

Router is a Linksys WRT150n

Edited by Mikey

Thanks, Mikey pls edit once more to add model, for some reason I cannot open Linksys page.

Netgear have a really nice interface and are easy to setup and use. They are also have a problem prone to melting.

Sweex have a really hard-to-use interface and are kind of a pain to setup and use. From what i seen of a m8's one, the hardware seems to be really good.

Belkin are about average to setup. Have seen melted ones though.

So i currently using Netgear but if i cannot get a warranty replacement if this one melts as well, i gonna get a Sweex next.

Either that or stop being lazy and setup my old pc with Monowall on it. ;)

The only netgear device I have heard of with any melting issue is the old Rangemax router (with the funky blue lights).

All of their gateways are any other router are steady afaik.

I use a Linksys (Cisco) WRT54GL, which is fine but not the best I assume. I've never had any issues with it and bought it to replace a similar Linksys one, that I'd been using for years, which didn't have wifi. Linksys seem to be a popular choice for home routers, and the interface is quite nice. The WRT54GL itself is pretty good as it's got enough RAM/memory to support the Linux-based firmwares like openwrt, and DD-WRT. Having said that, most routers will support those third party firmwares, and by loading one of them it makes the standard interface issue on each router kind of irrelevant.

The only netgear device I have heard of with any melting issue is the old Rangemax router
And mine, the DG834GT. because of the gui greatness, i recommended it to 2 friends. 1 of theirs melted as well. oops.

I think the common demonator here is, use linksys or netgear ;)

Agreed!

And mine, the DG834GT. because of the gui greatness, i recommended it to 2 friends. 1 of theirs melted as well. oops.

ohh, well if it means anything mine runs fine ;)

Any feedback from Trendnet? 3Com? Right, mine was Trendnet, but still, it was the cheapest model back then. I know this is running out of scope, but why not turn the topic into a small comparison guide for people in my situation.

OK, ended up with Netgear WGR614EE, lets hope I'll manage to make Apex work soon... :) rtfm, www.portforwarding.com , I know :)

Go with a any decent router that supports DD-WRT (http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database). DD-WRT is basically a firmware replacement that gives you a ton more features with a clean GUI. I use a Rosewill RNX-GX4 (basically just a rebranded Netcore NW618) with DD-WRT and would recommend it to anyone, it's been running perfectly for the past year. Also, it's actually on sale right now at Newegg for $30, if Newegg will ship to wherever you're at.

Back in the days when consumer routers were notoriously unreliable, ordering a Mikrotik RouterBoard was a sure way to buy a piece of mind for a considerable premium. I think manufacturing quality has now improved, since routers are expected to sustain DSL or Cable speeds, which have finally approached those of Ethernet. Still, products by this company have never failed me, but Linksys and D-Link have.

The current RouterBoard lineup has models for every performance level. The small white boxes are great choice for an office, and a decent home unit costs around 100 euros. They all run fully enabled RouterOS software with flexible Firewall, NAT, bridging of networks between a pair of routers, DNS server, proxy, packet queues. The router's CPU sets a strict limit on how many of the features can be enabled at once without slowdown. They can all handle tens of thousands of connections (limited by memory). Published throughput stats are on site for some models.

Configuration is performed via a Windows program or telnet, which is quicker than using a clumsy web UI. You can administer the box, and access its services (DNS, time, proxy, socks) from anywhere as permitted by the firewall. You perform NAT on any connection, including outgoing to redirect traffic from one server to another (like a transparent proxy).

Finding a retailer carrying RouterBoards might prove difficult.

An old RB532A in service today. It's getting obsolete now.

1911824057.png

Current uptime of my router 363d 06:12:04.

They don't need to be reset in normal operation.