Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eternal

How to merge two queue lists?

9 posts in this topic

Hi

Currently I've got two different ApexDC installations on two separate partions. This is unpractical because I can only run one instance of DC at a time, and have lots of waiting time on most of the files.

Could I somehow merge the two separate queue list, hashdata, incomplete files etc. into one, so I could have all in one place? I would suppose so, since it's based on XML, but I don't know how it would go about. I really don't want to make a mess out of this, so could one of you guys please write a small step-by-step guide?

Sure, it can be done, but why can't you run 2+ instances? Will be safer until you finish one of the queues.

Because I would have to connect twice to every hub. And get kicked for multiple connections.

And then of course it's much neater to have it all in one place.

Yes, you could be kicked from some hubs.

1. Close all running instances.

2. Choose the instance to use, say Apex1. Its queue will be Q1, Temp folder will be Temp1. Same for Apex2.

3. Copy all *.dctmp files from Temp2 to Temp1.

4. CAREFUL HERE! Open the two queues - Q1 & Q2. Find by looking the respective section in Q1, then append in the end the whole section from Q2 (hope it makes sense w/o repetitive reading). I do not have Apex atm to explain better.

Pls wait for another member to confirm the safety of above steps, or DO A FULL ARCHIVE before begining.

Staff: Pls move to Support.

Thank's for replying, zlobo.

I suppose you are talking about the Queue.xml files? My guess is they are fairly easy to merge due to their simple xml-structure which basically when I open them in Wordpad seems to consist of a "TTH" and "filename" reference for each file. I'm not sure however if a simple copy-paste would work out here?

But what about the "hashindex.xml", "hashdata.dat" files? The "hashdata.dat" files are both in the 2-300mb range. The "hashindex.xml" files are in the 20-40mb range.

Are there any others with this problem? I would guess so - users wanting to merge the DC version they use on their laptop with desktop for instance. A step-by-step guide would really be appreciated. I'm sure the developers have thorough knowledge about how these DC-components work. If it consist of basic file merging, it sounds likely that it would be fairly easy to write a small script where one enters the path of the files to merge and then the script handles the rest. Maybe this could be a built in function?

there isnt actually much more to it than whats already written above, two things to note though

first as you say the hashdata can not be copied, so when you load the list again in a client it will again download the tth's off a source to add it, and second, not all sources may stay in the file. You might have to find some of them again (or the client will find them for you), this is usually not a big problem, it has worked everytime I done it sofar.

The thing to look out for is if you add duplicate entries to the queue.xml, I have no idea how different clients will handle it, so backup, backup (and save a copy too :)

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have not had any problems merging queues (or moving queues between clients either for that matter)

/d

Here is already something: http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=134

Now, on your points:

1. According to the best of my knowledge, simple "copy-paste" should work, but I still recommended a back-up.

2. When moving Apex between two PCs, most likely shared folders will not be the same on the destination PC. Of course, if you mean copying the share together with Apex, you can simply edit the hash files with Notepad to reflect new paths, but if you are not sure what you do, better rehash.

3. Script is possible solution, but since the process can mess the program too much, isn't it better to leave the power users do it, and the newbie-average ones to make it in the old safe way?

allright guys, thanks for the input. will make a backup, copypaste the queue etc. when I recieve my new WD MyBook 1tb drive :)

if anyone has something to add, by all means...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0