Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aiwex

webserver problems

13 posts in this topic

hello,

first of all, i would like to say that i really like apex as dc client. it has almost everything you need, is fast, reliable and user friendly. nice client :stuart:

but i faced another side of this client that is a disaster :fear: it is webserver. these are bugs i noticed:

- these buttons on web pageto control computer - shutdown etc. who could ever need it ?! :mellow:

- when i connect to webserver from localhost, it is ok, and i can log in. when i try to connect to apex from another computer, i get the login screen, but when i put my user name and password, it says "connection closed by remote server". in short - i can't use it from another computer.

- when i search via web interface, sometimes (rarely) no search result are returned (but there are lots of them !). if i repeat the search, i get the results.

- sometimes, not all results are returned. eg. if i search from apex program, i get 30 file results, but if i search via web interface, i get only 17.

- when results are returned and i want to download a file, i click on one file. apex puts this file on downloads table, but search results disapears. i have to search again. this is real mess if i want to download some (not one) files from search results, lets say 10 files.

i need to give access to using dc on my computer to several people, but because of these bugs it makes impossible to use apex for remote clients. maybe somebody could give me an idea how to fix these bugs (without changing the code :( ) ? if it is impossible, could you reccomend me any other client that would have regularly working web interface ?

thank you for any your ideas,

aiwex

Hello,

1. Still, this is a feature, and if you do not need these buttons, do not think nobody does (f. ex. I do not need the webserver at all, but would like to have it better and better). Just be careful where you are clicking. :mellow:

2. Have you tried another similar software on the same ports to see if it works (f. ex. VNC)?

3. Probably you were disconnected from the hub(s) atm? And you happen to do your second search after the client reconnects?

4. Probably some limitation/lag, not sure. How long have you been waiting for webserver search?

5. Confirmed. In this aspect, I would like also to have the option to choose download location, to see all the columns in the search frame, etc., hopefully it will be done in the future, but now our developers are working on stability.

6. If you trust these people, or if this PC is just a downloading box, what about a VNC? Or the webserver allows, and you want simultaneous access of several users?

7. No, sorry, I haven't compared the webservers of different clients.

thank you for your fast and detailed answer :fear:

1. polite people would had done a feature to disable that feature :stuart: i trust people that will connect to the server, but they are so lame at computers they can shut down my server by accident :(

2. well, i use apache server, rdc. these works fine. further more,i use no firewall, so i think this is apex's problem

3. no. a logged-in interface stays. i can repeat search at once. then it works :) approximately one of 7-8 searches "crashes" (returns no results)

4. i use it in local network, so no network lag is possible. CPU of computer is almost idle, so i don't think the problem is there. i wait for results as long as they are returned. i haven't noticed that returned results would have ever refreshed - if they are shown, they are static. don't they ?

5. what stability :) ? it is already too stable :) btw,im not very good at programing, but i think the way search works now wasn't easier to code. well, may be it would have needed few more functions, but i don't think it was difficult at all. i have no idea why developers decided to do search that way ..

6. yes, some users have to be able to connect at the same time. if i let them to connect to my server via RDC, my computer will create several sessions each with it's own apex, so this is not as solution. as far as apex supports no users, i see only one way to solve multiuser problem - it is web interface, but it has so much problems .. :)

7. i'm testing mldonkey as an alternative. i'll tell if i will make it work correctly with DC network, because this network is only experimental in that program

maybe you have any idea, based on point 6 ? i could create windows user that network-users can connect to via RDC, but i can't think anything out about some people connecting at the time :mellow:

1. Yes, in this aspect it makes sense.

2. If you like, PM me a socket, user and password to test. I am reaching my own ws via WAN IP.

3. Maybe ws search is ermm, "worse" than regular search? Maybe some (network) limits exist, or you do not wait for the delay-timer b/w searches?

4. Merged with 3. ?

4. Unfortunately we still have small number of very rare and hardly reproducible bugs. This is why it is a beta version.

5. No, I do not have a better idea than separate instances for separate users. One instance with two+ users will go mad.

6. Good luck, please post feedback for mldonkey.

2 and 4 seems to be opera browser's problem. with firefox it seems to work correctly. sorry for blaming apex :stuart:

3 sometimes happens. this is annoying, but not a disaster.

7 mldonkey is a total mess as a project. at least for windows, at least for direct connect. i spent all day trying to make it work, but this ambition still seems to be far far away :fear: so i returned to apex, and i hope i won't have to go back to trying to make mldonkey work .. :(

apex's webserver solves my problem about multiusing. and it seems to be the only solution (despite of all peerweb based projects - strongdc, ldc and so on). i think i will try to drop away all those "shut down" etc buttons from the code and recompile the program. i will let you know about my luck :)

also, i would like to ask about folders. is there any way to see them at webserver's search results ?

and on the whole, are developers of apex planning to improve webserver (expand abilities, add new features, fix bugs etc) in the nearest feature? or later ? .... ever ? :mellow:

2 and 4 seems to be opera browser's problem. with firefox it seems to work correctly. sorry for blaming apex :stuart:

3 sometimes happens. this is annoying, but not a disaster.

7 mldonkey is a total mess as a project. at least for windows, at least for direct connect. i spent all day trying to make it work, but this ambition still seems to be far far away :fear: so i returned to apex, and i hope i won't have to go back to trying to make mldonkey work .. :(

apex's webserver solves my problem about multiusing. and it seems to be the only solution (despite of all peerweb based projects - strongdc, ldc and so on). i think i will try to drop away all those "shut down" etc buttons from the code and recompile the program. i will let you know about my luck :)

also, i would like to ask about folders. is there any way to see them at webserver's search results ?

and on the whole, are developers of apex planning to improve webserver (expand abilities, add new features, fix bugs etc) in the nearest feature? or later ? .... ever ? :mellow:

I have to fix a little mistake of yours there... StrongDC++ and LDC++ are not ApexDC++ (nor PWDC++) based.

LDC++ is StrongDC++ based, and so are we :)

As for webserver it would be something I'd like to improve some day, but do not ask when....

I have to fix a little mistake of yours there... StrongDC++ and LDC++ are not ApexDC++ (nor PWDC++) based.

LDC++ is StrongDC++ based, and so are we :)

i see

what about folders at search results ?

and also, apex's core and GUI, as i understand, are quite separate. is there any way to use multiple connections of GUI to the same core ? if yes, how ?

AFAIK this separation is (?was?) just a project and not available atm. It was discussed mainly in the context of Linux\Unix compatibility, if I remember correctly.

No Zlob the core and gui code are actually in a way very separate even now, however not in a server & client fashion..

i don't understand, why webserver doesn't show folders in search results. i've tried IE, FF and opera, i've tried to connect to different hubs, and to search for different things. program search shows, that there are some folders, but no matter if i search for "all" nor if i pick "directory" from search dropdown meniu at web interface, i get no folders at search results. if i search for "All", i get only files. if i search for "Directory", i get nothing. i've tried this with ApexDC, LDC++ and StrongDC, they all do the same :) is this official bug, or not, or am i doing something wrong ?

I would guess it is just one thing more to develop...

Zlobomir is probably right, I doubt it's a bug, much more likely it's just a limitation, one which will hopefully be corrected in future. :)

Zlobomir is probably right, I doubt it's a bug, much more likely it's just a limitation, one which will hopefully be corrected in future. :)

well if this is a limitation, than i can hope to be able to fix it myself. the only problem is that i desperately have no time :) anyway, thanx for idea, i'll try to browse the source when i'll be less busy, maybe i'll find something ..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0