Muchemo

What r the best settings 2 fight ISP's Traffic Shapping?

25 posts in this topic

Hi there ppl!

After months of lausy DC++ experience I changed to ApexDC++. Things did get a little better, Apex is a really good program, but overall it's not what it used 2 be months ago. While researching a possible answer 2 this problem I found out my ISP is using Traffic Shapping on all known P2P programs!

While trying to fight this issue, I would like to know if anyone could recomend me the best ApexDC++ configuration possible to (to the possible extent) minorize the TS my ISP is doing!

Thanks ppl!

Take care!

Hi,

Try checking File>Settings>Advanced>Send garbage on incoming conections and Send garbage on outgoing conections as well.

But if this does not help, probably there are better ISPs. Problems better be eliminated w/o workarounds.

Often there's not much you can do about it. You have three options:

- Just live with it and don't use P2P so much.

- Change your ISP to one which doesn't throttle P2P.

- Use a proxy server, ideally a paid one like Relakks (which costs about £3.70 GBP or $7.53 USB a month). The added bonus of using a server like Relakks is that it often provides an encrypted connection etc. and means you're much much less likely to get found out for filesharing or anything, especially as it's all based in Sweden.

Do try enabling the Settings Zlobomir suggested, they may help. :unsure:

I would suggest just moving ISP. I had this problem and thats what I was forced to do.

yeah, easiest is to change isp ... one day isps will realize that they loose too many customers if they fight against the thing the whole internet is invented for :(

Most ISP's throttle, few don't.

My ISP doesn't, but even that has it's issues, go onto the broadband status checker for my ISP at certain times of the day and the expecting speed can be as low as 2Mb. Now ask yourself, what would you prefer a throttled ISP where you could utilise your full connection speed on everything bar P2P? OR perhaps you are happy with this and don't want to be throttled period (this is me), if this is the case:

1. Go to an ISP with no throttling.

2. Go to an ISP with less severe throttling

3. Live with your current provider

In the present day and age of 8Mb+ download speeds, you have to expect a certain degree of slowdown. At least until 21CN is present in the UK.

There's a WIKI that lists bad providers with the kind of measures they are taking. The long and short of it is that those measures can only be countered by light to heavy encryption of the data stream.

Does the dc++ protocoll support encryption, and if yes, could it be implemented in Strong/ApexDC?

Does the dc++ protocoll support encryption, and if yes, could it be implemented in Strong/ApexDC?

yes, in upcoming adc protocol.

I liked that list, not a single swedish ISP on it, guess we're blessed over here...

For people in the UK on ADSL, I suggest entanet. It's reseller is ukfsn. Entanet have a policy not to throttle or shape in any way. How long that lasts remains to be seen.

TLS is a form of encryption which is currently available in the Apex client and others. Granted there is some work involved insetting it up; it prevents your isp from inspecting your packets, which as a result disables their ability to traffic-shape data sent though your encrytped port. There is still the problem associated with bandwidth limiting that the isp must deal with assuming that TSL (or any other encryption method) becomes widely used. Currently ISPs use a form of blacklisting in which their packet sniffers find and limit bandwidth access based on know P2P protcols. However, on the other hand if ISPs were to be severly hindered by and influx of encrypted connections the method of blacklisting to "punish" bandwidth hogs will likely be altered to a white-listing method. In which, only packets that may be inspected and certified according to requirements imposed by the ISP itself are permitted to passthrough at unrestricted rates.

This is a great source for more infoprmation on defeating traffic shaping: http://dcpp.wordpress.com/2007/09/19/defea...ith-encryption/

and

This is a post which explains a bit more on how to configure and use TLS: http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=911

As good as that sounds, the problem remains, that it doesn't work on non-adc hubs. Which most are.

As good as that sounds, the problem remains, that it doesn't work on non-adc hubs. Which most are.

ANY ADC HUBS THAT WE MIGHT RECOMMEND FOR THE READERS SATAN?

ANY ADC HUBS THAT WE MIGHT RECOMMEND FOR THE READERS SATAN?

Dude caps lock secondly if u would have googled adchublist u would have found hublists for adchubs i think they even included in the client if they didn't ill include em right here http://www.adchublist.com and http://www.hubtracker.com/

NOTE: Hubtracker.com is a mixxed list not a pure adc list

Edited by Toast

oh sorry toast, didn't realize don't bite me! (ur pic is ferocious..lol) . so do you guys know if TLS will work on all ADC hubs or what? (thats what i meant when i was asking for hub suggestions... specific hub address) anyone?

..... and considering both are on say dsl and the other peer isn't using TLS then won't that likely defeat the whole purpose anyway?

TLS should work on all ADC hubs, however, as the client is still trialling we haven't done extensive tests yet.

TLS should work on all ADC hubs, however, as the client is still trialling we haven't done extensive tests yet.

Anybody if TLS needs a TCP, UDP port or both yet ?

I fail at seeing that packet type to open in my routers firewall. :)

TLS uses the TCP port, UDP Is not required.

Thanks Satan, that's what i guessed in my router. Just was never 100% sure if i had guessed right or not. Nice to actually know. :whistling:

Still doesn't stop me not being able to get it working under vista tho ;)

Are you using the

adcs:// prefix or whatever you need to do to connect to an adc hub securily. ?

Because cannot find latest beta source, not sure if the encryption code been updated to how it works in latest dc++ svn which changed and now works without users having to install external apps.

How long ago was this, it wont work for me in B4, I cant use B5 due to the video bugs present within it.

-- 0.701 2007-10-18 --

* Replaced yassl with OpenSSL, SSL certs no longer require external OpenSSL application

Also maybe worth trying the latest DC++ on Vista to see if you have any success with that ;)