Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amp

Ban for Dynamic IPs

12 posts in this topic

Please, tell me, how you guys fight with dynamic IPs in your hubs?

I'm an OP of a region hub, all users are from one ISP which gives dynamic IPs. Hub is running Verlihub.

All ban features like gag, noctm or ipban are extremelly IP dependant. But having dynamic IP all you need is just to reconnect to ISP and all restrictions will go away. So, ban can't stop people from doing bad things anymore. Banning whole subnet is not an option, becase it will ban all users.

Did you ever been is such situation and how did you managed it?

Well u could threaten to report the user to their ISP for mis-use of their internet connection i guess....

For a small community it is effective to allow only registered to enter, and maybe disable self-registration.

Yeah that seems to be only good solution. Mute all guest chat, and allow when registered.

Community have about 1000+ members. I've been thinking about reg only allowed chat, but it's very hard to track all users' registration. Simply, I cannot say trustily if a new reg request is from the same user with another nick or from another guy :P. Also, it seems that we need to turn off ctm etc for guests too.

Why the protocol doesn't create an unique userid as many others do :D.

It's a DC protocol restriction.

But surely u can reg users and if they misbehave remove their account?

yes, the "regonly" ting will be the solution ... you don't really need to care about "is this the same guy" ... as at one point he'll have enough of the fuzz to get a reg again :D

or be evil and tell the isp there is someone who's playing pirate from that ip :P

you don't really need to care about "is this the same guy" ... as at one point he'll have enough of the fuzz to get a reg again

Actually, he may reg 10 accounts and switch between them easily :P.

or be evil and tell the isp there is someone who's playing pirate from that ip

Hehe, ISPs here don't care about pirates yet =).

He can't reg 10 accounts, if self reg is disabled. But it is better to work for prevention, i. e. educating users and helping for better netiquette. Unfortunately some users from surten countries, BG not too exclusive, lack the manners for a normal communication. :P

He can't reg 10 accounts, if self reg is disabled

Yes, self reg is disabled. But he can make 10 reg requests from different IPs during a day, for example. And use them after without any barriers.

lack the manners for a normal communication

As far as I see, typically such people are kids, who think that swearing etc looks very mature and cool.

i used to have a lua script to enable regged users "giving ban points" to someone who's messing up things .... and if someone gets the 3 or 5 "ban points" ... gets banned :) ... believe me, these ppl will give up soon if they'll have to ask an op to give a regged nick again and again .... or if you set your hub to automatically give timebans to the flooders or those who use unwanted words or expressions ( :) ) these ppl will get soon to the point when all their nicks will gonna be banned and will look for some fun elsewhere ( hopefully outside in the nature :) )

/Off

...But it is better to work for prevention, i. e. educating users and helping for better netiquette. Unfortunately some users from surten countries, BG not too exclusive, lack the manners for a normal communication. :(

...As far as I see, typically such people are kids, who think that swearing etc looks very mature and cool.

...and will look for some fun elsewhere ( hopefully outside in the nature :P )

And hopefully will meet people like them (?or like us? :) ) "outside in the nature", thus resulting in a street fight with some educational effect... :):)

/Off

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0