kooler

Priority Upload to certain user

12 posts in this topic

It would be great if apex can have priority to a specific user i select. The high priority can dl from me first. It also would be great if i can set priority to the client (apex user of course =)

There's no such feature. And why? Because this is sharing application. So we will upload to anyone and not "I will upload only to users I want to" ;)

i would rather want priority download from this user, so i would keep the slot on that user for as long as i need him or one of us goes offline ;)

i know that this is file sharing.. but i hate those damn leecheers.. when they finish download.. they gone. I want to have priority to those ppl who share back those things they dl from me so that other ppl dun hv to wait too long to get files from me

edit:spell

It also would be great if i can set priority to the client (apex user of course =)

It would be not. And why would You want to promote a client anyway?

Primo - probably You're not gonna detect (especially as non OP) exactly what kind of client other person is using. For example: there are few leecher mods based on Apex so promoting Apex You would also probably promote them as well.

Secundo - aside from faking clients (witch usually are v.hard to impossible to detect) user's client doesn't say anything whenever user is a f***ing lame leecher or good sharer.

It would be great if apex can have priority to a specific user i select.

It already has - check "Grant slot" option.

I want to have priority to those ppl who share back those things they dl from me so that other ppl dun hv to wait too long to get files from me

Using 'Favorite users' is good idea also.

I do agree that there are still open possibilities to implement (especially in ADC when users are identified properly) and promoting user based on his previous uploads wouldn't be a bad idea.

Primo - probably You're not gonna detect (especially as non OP) exactly what kind of client other person is using. For example: there are few leecher mods based on Apex so promoting Apex You would also probably promote them as well.

And through normal promotion of ApexDC, through site and DC client lists, that promotion of leecher clients is not going to happen? I'm afraid you're off here.

There could be ways in which the clients would identify to each other through client-to-client protocol, or at least identify their enabled capabilities, so methods such as archive-then-send, prioritized upload/download or solid-archive-then-send would work.

Secundo - aside from faking clients (witch usually are v.hard to impossible to detect) user's client doesn't say anything whenever user is a f***ing lame leecher or good sharer.

So, essentially, what you're saying is that nobody will be able to identify a user based on client capabilities only, so why bother improving possible user experience, is that it?

I, for one, am a fan of this idea of prioritized upload. I would implement it in the following way:

- prioritized upload can be made on extra slots only, thus not affecting those that aren't "prioritized"

- prioritized upload can be enabled only on a favorite user; if it's a favorite user, then you must have placed it there for a reason

- only one priority upload can happen at a time

- a specific upload can be declared as priority upload manually if it's not on a favorite user (say, by right-clicking on it, through the menu), if there is no other priority upload at that time, that upload being automatically considered on an extra slot

- through client-to-client protocol, a prioritized upload from the sender will become a forced priority download on the receiver, thus strangling all the other downloads and forcing people to use priority uploads/downloads only when absolutely necessary

This way, there will be no abuse problem, yet it will solve the problem of allowing a friend/colleague getting a file urgently without having to kill other uploads or closing ApexDC++ altogether to use a different file sharing method in order to gain speed.

Imho this is rather bad than good idea, sharers of course deserve better attitude, but still we are not able to detect them properly. So this should wait, even total ratio is not a good method since FL downloads are counted, which spoils, more or less, the ratio of each OP.

Just a wild idea:

What about a "hidden" share for favorite users?

In favorite users one more column "User can see hidden share"

and when you click autoslot then your favorite user can download stuff meant for them.This could also be a way for faster spreading of new stuff.I mean one fast leecher is better then 10 slow.

I think this can not be categorised as a leech feature,it`s only an improvement of sharing.

Please comment!

Definitely interesting! You are right, even leechers may change habits in order to be made favorite users by the good sharers. At least I do not see any harm for anyone :P

it can be used for bad things i disagree firmly

Such as ?

I must agree that it could be used for some share "limiting" but it could be implemented with some restrictions...maybe 10% can be only hidden of total share.

I personaly think that the idea is good,but maybe I`m not seeing the whole picture.That is the reason why I asked to comment.