Satan

Hashing on Network Drive - Won't Close....

11 posts in this topic

Hey All,

This is annoying the hell outta me. I dont know if i'm doing something wrong or whether it's a bug.

Anyways, I have 5 HDD's all with shared content on each. Well, if i'm hashing my files and go to close Apex WHILE it's hashing from a local HDD (one on the machine i'm running apex from) it closes first time every time.

However, if it's hashing a drive from a network drive the icon disappears from systray np but when you try to load Apex up again next time round (which can be HOURS later) I get the 'apex is already running, start another instance?' message.

Sure enough, if you go into Task Manager it is still there.

I am running vista if it matters. But I dont believe this is vista's fault (this time) however I do run XP downstairs so if you feel it would help i'll happily do a little test downstairs to see if I can mimic the behaviour.

I will also try it on StrgDC if you feel it would help?

Anyone else sharing on network experience similar problems?

Cheers

Will.

im sharing content on this machine on a client on another, doesnt take hours to load, i have vista on this one and server 2k8 (beta) on the other

What sort of throughput you get Aztek when your hashing from a network drive?

I can only manage 800Kb/s which seems very slow considering the 'weakest link' PC is running at 36Mbps.

Also, I have found a work-around for this problem.

If I disconnect from the internet obviously apex is no longer able to hash from the downstairs PC, I can quit then and it closes np.

on my 100 mb/s lan i usually get around 7-9 MB/s

but then i cant do much else on the lan while its running :) (so i use netlimiter to slow stuff down)

remember that lan speed is usually shown in mega bits and apex shows mega bytes

Edited by Aztek

What sort of throughput you get Aztek when your hashing from a network drive?

I can only manage 800Kb/s which seems very slow considering the 'weakest link' PC is running at 36Mbps.

Also, I have found a work-around for this problem.

If I disconnect from the internet obviously apex is no longer able to hash from the downstairs PC, I can quit then and it closes np.

sometimes it happens here as well, but not with hashing from netword drive ... simply when i quit apex, it still runs for some time (or some hours :) ) ... eating up CPU and memory ... slowing down whole machine .... but i simply ban it from the network (by my firewall) ..... and it'll quit in a few minutes, and free up my resources.

dunno what causes it, but this "removing apex from network access list" usually gets it back anytime from this static lifestyle :) ... so if it just doesn't give any reaction wether anything is done .... doesn't come up from tray .... i simply don't let it access the network, and resources usage will be minimzed ... down to 1-2 % cpu and some megabytes of memory .... and it'll be back to normal ... okay, we loose our slots, and others loose us, but at least no freeze or no need to close from taskman.

so what i tried to say is that you're not the only one doing this ;) :)

I wonder whether Crise remembers my claim to speed up this awkwardness in closing network connections... It was really long ago. I am too lazy to search for the link at 04:30 AM. Sh*, 2:30 hrs to "wake-up". :)

Hehe, well I managed to speed up my network somewhat to 2.5Mb/s simply by moving the PC to get a better signal.

It's now running at 36Mbps and for WLAN i'm happy enough with that, i'll live with it anyways.

sharing over a network, over a wireless connection, ouch

don't think that's a very good idea :P

I started using DC++ then switched to ApexDC++. I have most of my files on shared network drives. When I try to share them, it will say it's hashing, but my share size never changes. I have mapped all my drives and can access them fine from this computer. If I close the program, it will remain running in the task manager, I assume it's still hashing files?

If I restart the program my fileshare size goes back to 0b and I have to go through this all over again. It once got up to 130 GB, but after I restarted 0B. This is very annoying, and I don't know what else to do... I'm using the latest version 1.01.

This is more likely a UAC problem, disable UAC and it will save your hashed data. But it will still be slow at hashing and do that in TaskMan unfortunately :(