Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zander

Timestamp in filelists

14 posts in this topic

And lot of thanks for so pretty ApexDC!

From time to time I seek for fresh files in our DC-network and IMHO it will be useful (and not less compatible), if file timestamp support to filelists (and related forms) will be added.

Thanks in advance!

= Zander =

it's not good idea because:

a) it will be compatible only between clients which support it

:) it will increase filelist size many many times

a) it will be compatible only between clients which support it

... but it can't confuse other DC-clients, because filelst is (compressed) XML - unknown XML section must be ignored by other clients. :)

B) it will increase filelist size many many times

IMHO not so many times, because it will be even less of 10 bytes (seconds since 1970-01-01) per file (due to compression). :)

And last but not least: why we must lose any information about file(s)? :blink:

Well, saving timestamps is really good idea! ;)

1. It it will not confuse other clients, I am for it. Anyway, each client has taken smth from the others, if each author says "It will not be of use for the other clients" inter-client features would never be added. Besides, we think for our users, it they can benefit, and the users of other clients do not suffer in any way, it is fine. :)

2. IMHO not many times too.

3. Indeed, why to lose file info?

Filelist will be bigger than it's normal. And file timestamp has no real meaning.

For filelist with 10 000 files, it will increase about 80 kB and it's much! Filelist must be as small as possible.

file timestamp has no real meaning.

Tell me, please, how I can found latest files in local DC-network by the other way? ;)

For filelist with 10 000 files, it will increase about 80 kB and it's much! Filelist must be as small as possible.

Wow! What is 80k for 100M LAN? :blink:

Well... If 8 bytes per file is soooooooooo much - do it switchable! :)

"Who wish - seek for ways, who don't - seek for excuses" :)

The thing is, Apex DC++ is not LAN-dedicated client, so 80k/10000 files is quite a lot.

BUT, on the other hand, imHo, pros here are far more than the cons. It is hard for me to believe that 80kB (the average size of a text document) can be a problem, unless user is on dial-up. If we think like that, TTH support is bad for users, because some are still using PI 133MHz w/o MMX and they hash too long. :) It will be perfect if OPs could choose whether to take FL stamp or not, but I guess it can't be separated from the FL itself.

but slow hashing influences only local user... and large filelist influences all users in network

In my opinion not, it influences in both cases the user lacking the resource. But anywayz, I just have some feeling that the feature will not be implemented.

Tell me, please, how I can found latest files in local DC-network by the other way?

Save the filelists after you have looked through them.

(create a "Looked at" directory in the "FileLists" directory. You can copy and paste in the "Open file list" dialogue box))

Next time you look, use the subtract command to remove all you have seen before.

Works for me.

Could be improved by

1) automating the process - so can easily see new files since last time file list was downloaded.

2) ability to aggregate file lists from several users so all files you have seam before can be easily hidden.

Tell me, please, how I can found latest files in local DC-network by the other way? :blink:

you can't find them by time stamp. For example, today I can download some file which is very long time in the network. And you will see it as a new file in my filelist. Also, i can take in account that Total Commander allows timestamp change :blushing:

But still there is Created, Modified, Accessed? We are interested in Modified date, I think... And I doubt 99% of users will play with timestamps.

You need newsbot... ask hub stuff to put one.

Thanks! Newsbot - it's "other tool for other task". By the way, where I can found DC-newsbot for Linux?

But I really need timestamps for files!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0