Rigor O'Mortis

List of requests

16 posts in this topic

1. User dupe checker

I'm in certain huge international hubs ("international" = "mostly Sweedish"). Like me, others are on the same hubs. If I try to download from one, it is only a matter of time since the same user, but from all different hubs, is added to queue. This would normally be a good thing, but I can only download from one clone at a time, all the others being in "connection timeout". How difficult would it be to implement a system that identifies users from different hubs as one and the same? Say, something like "if user1 and user 2 have the same IP and same exact sharesize and same tag (if available to check) and the same communication ports open, consider them both as user1".

2. The clear chat button

I really miss it. It was quite a useful feature.

3. The suppress mainchat function

It would be very useful if implemented in a hub-specific way. It would help many people stick to ApexDC only, and not have a different client for the hubs they do need to speak in. Actually, this would be of a lot more help. It would be of a lot more help if it was implemented in the protocol... helps save a lot of bandwidth.

hi thanks for the softwork...

I just had to 'hard reset vista' with apex beta4 running and had the favorites file get mangled with a invalid string.

it would be nice if you had a settings check box to have a copy of user and hash files done to \backup by date after each startup was loaded. so i could see \backup\favorites81407.etc then favorites81507.etc. and possibly a setting of a limit of 10, 20, 30 records.

i will try to decode thew mangled favorites file to recover some new entries.

jim sherwood - private hubs .

;)

1. User dupe checker

I'm in certain huge international hubs ("international" = "mostly Sweedish"). Like me, others are on the same hubs. If I try to download from one, it is only a matter of time since the same user, but from all different hubs, is added to queue. This would normally be a good thing, but I can only download from one clone at a time, all the others being in "connection timeout". How difficult would it be to implement a system that identifies users from different hubs as one and the same? Say, something like "if user1 and user 2 have the same IP and same exact sharesize and same tag (if available to check) and the same communication ports open, consider them both as user1".

For me it works fine. When the same user in the other hub has an free slot I can download a second file or section of a file from him

2. The clear chat button

I really miss it. It was quite a useful feature.

Make a RightClick into a free place in the Mainchat, there you have an option to clear the Chat

KR.

baba.runner

Edited by baba.runner

hi thanks for the softwork...

I just had to 'hard reset vista' with apex beta4 running and had the favorites file get mangled with a invalid string.

it would be nice if you had a settings check box to have a copy of user and hash files done to \backup by date after each startup was loaded. so i could see \backup\favorites81407.etc then favorites81507.etc. and possibly a setting of a limit of 10, 20, 30 records.

i will try to decode thew mangled favorites file to recover some new entries.

jim sherwood - private hubs .

;)

That would indeed be a very good idea. I do remember old clients by the time DC++ 0.306 was out having the same problem. Of course, it's not that bad when it destroys your favorites, but it is horrible when it destroys a 5000-file download queue.

Say there is a Settings\Backup folder, where, upon startup, Apex checks for integrity of all settings files and then backs them up. Let's say it backs up the last 10 entries, like Favorites.xml.bak0, Favorites.xml.bak1,... and automatically names files accordingly.

That would indeed be a very good idea. I do remember old clients by the time DC++ 0.306 was out having the same problem. Of course, it's not that bad when it destroys your favorites, but it is horrible when it destroys a 5000-file download queue.

Say there is a Settings\Backup folder, where, upon startup, Apex checks for integrity of all settings files and then backs them up. Let's say it backs up the last 10 entries, like Favorites.xml.bak0, Favorites.xml.bak1,... and automatically names files accordingly.

thats even better, even one local 'bak' of each file would help on start, [or at a preset time]

my problem is the following overwrote the favorites.xml

32: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot be downloaded and will not be shared: $$_help_windows_en-us_b594929e73669c5e.cdf-ms (Size: -1 ;) (Directory: "D:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\")

33: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot be downloaded and will not be shared: $$_ime_3f581be9a4c8cabd.cdf-ms (Size: -1 ;) (Directory: "D:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\")

34: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot be downloaded and will not be shared: $$_ime_en-us_0d349188e45a5789.cdf-ms (Size: -1 :P (Directory: "D:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\")

35: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot be downloaded and will not be shared: $$_ime_imejp10_dicts_281006c600450618.cdf-ms (Size: -1 :) (Directory: "D:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\")

36: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot

It would be nice to have a pop-up reminder, at a set time, to dupe operating files to a usb drive [or anyplace], 3 hrs, 8, hrs, daily, etc......within apexdc++

i will do something external now, hmmm how do i spell DOS - Batch.file on a timer....lol

BTW a contrasting outline edge to the apexdc++ icon would be nice, its hard to see 'dark icon' on a dark vista top. Or in a second set when i run 2 clients together.

Thanks for the software.

jim

i will do something external now, hmmm how do i spell DOS - Batch.file on a timer....lol

BTW a contrasting outline edge to the apexdc++ icon would be nice, its hard to see 'dark icon' on a dark vista top. Or in a second set when i run 2 clients together.

Thanks for the software.

jim

Google got freeware http://www.snapbackup.com/

looks very good........

testing can we run specified external programs from within apexdc++?

a few TB available dc++ files, a lot tech and linux, from a private hub.

Jim

Make a RightClick into a free place in the Mainchat, there you have an option to clear the Chat

or why not just type /clear ...am I only one who uses only keyboard :blushing:

thats even better, even one local 'bak' of each file would help on start, [or at a preset time]

my problem is the following overwrote the favorites.xml

32: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot be downloaded and will not be shared: $$_help_windows_en-us_b594929e73669c5e.cdf-ms (Size: -1 :blushing: (Directory: "D:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\")

33: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot be downloaded and will not be shared: $$_ime_3f581be9a4c8cabd.cdf-ms (Size: -1 :) (Directory: "D:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\")

34: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot be downloaded and will not be shared: $$_ime_en-us_0d349188e45a5789.cdf-ms (Size: -1 :D (Directory: "D:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\")

35: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot be downloaded and will not be shared: $$_ime_imejp10_dicts_281006c600450618.cdf-ms (Size: -1 B) (Directory: "D:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps\")

36: [2007-08-15 09:08] File with '$' cannot

It would be nice to have a pop-up reminder, at a set time, to dupe operating files to a usb drive [or anyplace], 3 hrs, 8, hrs, daily, etc......within apexdc++

Thanks for the software.

jim

Speaking of which... (since I see optionwizz sharing the Windows folder...)

4. Share limitations for some folders

A lot of hubs kick or even ban users who share junk. Amongst junk would be, of course, the Windows and Program Files folders as well (for instance, I cannot imagine why anyone would download the "Windows" folder). For those that "boost" their share this way and are lucky enough to have a dynamic address, ApexDC++ is, ironically, the best option, since all they have to do is reconnect, Apex automatically updating the IP address, and the kick/ban being unapplied.

Would it be difficult to pull four values and prevent those folders from being shared? I'm talking about the "Windows" folder, the "Program Files" folder, the "System Volume Information" folder and the "Documents and Settings" folder (leaving a special option "My Documents" at root-level, along with "My Computer" and "My Network Places") ? Those values can be obtained like this:

- Windows folder: registry value located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion", named "SystemRoot"

- Program Files folder: registry value located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion", named "ProgramFilesDir"

- System Volume Information folder: <drive letter>\System volume information. Any NTFS drive has it.

- Documents and Settings folder: registry value located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList", named "ProfilesDirectory"

Hope this helps and hope to see this thing implemented, it would be one more step forward into crashing cheaters.

I agree, especially with Program files and Windows folder.

It'd be nice to see a sign when trying to add those (even if just a parent directory) "This folder cannot be shared".

Even if it is every single users own choice whether or not to share sensitive information it is oh so annoying to find users who share their entire C drive with nothing but junk..

Sort of make Apex "junk proof". Although I have just about never seen a total noob use Apex you can't eliminate that fact. Can't be that hard to add that, or atleast an advisory that tells users a short warning of possible risks of sharing such things..

Just my 2 dollars n 15 cents...

I agree, especially with Program files and Windows folder.

It'd be nice to see a sign when trying to add those (even if just a parent directory) "This folder cannot be shared".

Even if it is every single users own choice whether or not to share sensitive information it is oh so annoying to find users who share their entire C drive with nothing but junk..

Sort of make Apex "junk proof". Although I have just about never seen a total noob use Apex you can't eliminate that fact. Can't be that hard to add that, or atleast an advisory that tells users a short warning of possible risks of sharing such things..

Just my 2 dollars n 15 cents...

You can use the share skiplist to exclude certain filetypes etc. from people shared. Adding a warning when adding a root drive (perhaps just some red text in the existing virtual folder name dialogue) or certain folders (eg. "Windows" and "Program Files") telling the user they may be able to share files which they should not. It's a low priority feature, but should also not take too long.

@Staff - from post 9, point 4, new topic?

You can use the share skiplist to exclude certain filetypes etc. from people shared. Adding a warning when adding a root drive (perhaps just some red text in the existing virtual folder name dialogue) or certain folders (eg. "Windows" and "Program Files") telling the user they may be able to share files which they should not. It's a low priority feature, but should also not take too long.

Well, I gave the methods to find out the paths. Personally, I think they should be impossible to share, but a big WARNING dialog will work, too.

By the way, if Lee or Crise is reading this (no use starting another topic just for this), when you wish to add a file preview application in Settings -> File Preview, the add / change dialog title is simply "Dialog". Very suggestive :) :)

1. User dupe checker

How do you know that is causing the connection timeouts and the users are not genuinely timing out?

Wouldn't a "true" connection timeout affect all the clones? And not just the "surplus" ones?

How I understand what he's saying is that he can't download from the same user in multiple hubs (multisource one user so to speak).

Same user in 4 hubs for example, and only 1 will work all the rest timeouts, sounds odd to me, but then again, I haven't been around dc for very long and have probably not seen all there is to see...

Well you could be right!

What about hubsofts? Are the ones that are timing out, in a certain hub software?