Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jdb264c

TCP connection failed but UDB passed

17 posts in this topic

Hi, I've hade some trouble with my network but now everything works again apart from Apex...

I have chosen port 10000 fro TCP/UDP in Settings, and 192.168.2.2 as the "Network interface for all connections", and in my router I have opened up this port for both TCP and UDP, and 192.168.2.2 is set as my private IP adress. I cannot d/l in Apex and when checking the P2P connection in Apex it fails to connect on TCP but connects on UDP ("Partial connection")

What am I doing wrong? Do you need more information?

i solved it by selecting different upd & tcp ports ... for example 1412 & 1413 .... don't know if it'll be the solution, as fortunatelly i haven't seen this error longlong time ago.

have you checked your firewall? to ensure that apex is fully enabled? and the ports u use are enabled as well? okay, the port forwarding should work if you set it correctly, and also if you have constant private ip received from the router ( and of course having those ports forwarded to yours :wub: )

what op system do you have? have you tried the same in strongdc++ as well?

and that checking site not tells you the truth always, so still worth a try .... getting some filelists from active users, and search for strings that are surely there (for example mp3 or sg)

have you tried searching in passive mode?

have you seen the other topics related to this issue? as there must be some around, but i don't know their links too right now ....

Did split TCP and UDP into 2 ports with no effect. Neither does passive mode help :wub: My firewall allows Apex, and I'm using Vista Ultimate.

No, haven't tried StrongDC, could that help??

i was just thinking about strongdc, as apex is based on that .... and just to find out if this happens only in apex or in the client it's based on (but i think it's present in strongdc as well)

which verion of apex is it? 0.4.0 ? And .... you cannot even find files or download filelists from active users when in passive mode? (check if you have aktiv mode selected for your favorite hubs, qith different ip address for example) .... ahh, btw ... is your ip in apex set well? i mean is it your 'outside' IP ? ... which is received from your ISP by your router?

but if you cannot even search in passive that should mean that there's an error outside APEX .... maybe you do not have the needed rights to your temp & download folder (so it cannot even write the files currently donwloading to the dir ... but it should return some results for searching in that case) .... so if checking of these won't help, then i guess it'll need some experts' help :wub:

i was just thinking about strongdc, as apex is based on that .... and just to find out if this happens only in apex or in the client it's based on (but i think it's present in strongdc as well)

which verion of apex is it? 0.4.0 ? And .... you cannot even find files or download filelists from active users when in passive mode? (check if you have aktiv mode selected for your favorite hubs, qith different ip address for example) .... ahh, btw ... is your ip in apex set well? i mean is it your 'outside' IP ? ... which is received from your ISP by your router?

but if you cannot even search in passive that should mean that there's an error outside APEX .... maybe you do not have the needed rights to your temp & download folder (so it cannot even write the files currently donwloading to the dir ... but it should return some results for searching in that case) .... so if checking of these won't help, then i guess it'll need some experts' help :wub:

Hmm, I just managed to d/l a filelist in passive mode, allthough a search for e.g. mp3 generates nothing.

Excuse a stupid question, but outside IP? I have 192.168.2.2 as the "Bind address" and an 83.249.x.x as the external/WAN, this is correct right?

Using Apex 1.0.0B3

You don't need to fill in the bind address. Make sure your ports are forwarded/allowed by your router/firewall. Sometimes the connection test provides false results and in fact UDP failed may not be right. So just try searching and downloading instead of using the test. :wub:

I don't know what test site you were using, but false reports can be generated by some sites. I have found that if you pick one port for both udp and tcp in your client, and make certain your router is forwarding it for the program, it works just fine.

Personally, I user port 1234 for both, BUT you should pick your own port and it helps keep i'net traffic from clogging up.

If you are going to enter your ip in connection settings, I check it first at www.whatsmyip.org. then enter what they show me and put a check in the 'do not allow upnp to over ride' box (or circle)

If you are using a firewall, then forward the ports and checkmark 'Firewall with manual port forwarding' Make sure you matched the ports.

if you need help with your router, here is a good website that has instructions for most routers: www.portforward.com

If you can't find it there, it might be a newer model and you'll have to go to the manufacture's website. It should be in your paperwork for the router.

If all else fails, come look us up in the support hub :wub:

We'll help when and where we can :wub:

Loco

I don't know what test site you were using, but false reports can be generated by some sites. I have found that if you pick one port for both udp and tcp in your client, and make certain your router is forwarding it for the program, it works just fine.

Personally, I user port 1234 for both, BUT you should pick your own port and it helps keep i'net traffic from clogging up.

If you are going to enter your ip in connection settings, I check it first at www.whatsmyip.org. then enter what they show me and put a check in the 'do not allow upnp to over ride' box (or circle)

If you are using a firewall, then forward the ports and checkmark 'Firewall with manual port forwarding' Make sure you matched the ports.

if you need help with your router, here is a good website that has instructions for most routers: www.portforward.com

If you can't find it there, it might be a newer model and you'll have to go to the manufacture's website. It should be in your paperwork for the router.

If all else fails, come look us up in the support hub :)

We'll help when and where we can :)

Loco

Hmm, seem to have tried all your tips but doesn't work. I think I'll come visit you in the hub :)

I had the same problem for awhile. I think the problem was that I've set my static ip (in my home subnetwork) as the first ip (router ip: 79.112.5.1, my ip: 79.112.5.2). After I changed it to 79.112.5.5 (actually I made some other changes (setting them back as they were when I bought the router).. but I don't think they had anything to do with this) it started to work. From what I know the first and the last ip are reserved for broadcasting and another thing... Hope this will work well for u too, otherwise I'll post the other settings as well.

I had a similar case with my router, but then my DNS had exactly the same IP as the router's default - 192.168.1.1.

What I see going on here is the same confusion I first had about ip addresses. Here is the problem: You have at least two ips addresses in your basic i'net setup:

1. your EXTERNAL IP (usually something in this format: 69.144.29.96

2. you INTERNAL IP (usually something is this format: 192.168.1.100 and no to be confused

with the ip of your router which is something like

3. Router IP (for accessing settings) 192.168.1.1 (this may vary with makes/models of routers, you should check your manufacturers' website, or the paperwork that came with the router)

To make these work for you, you must enter the EXTERNAL ip in your ApexDC program, NOT in the BIND ADDRESS!! only in WAN box. AND enter the port or ports you wish to forward. I use port 1234 for both, but you should chose your own to avoid too much IP traffic on one port. Do NOT get into the 5 digit range though... these are used for other things and probably NOT reliable for DC program.

Access your router using the ip OF your router (this should be in your router instructions but in a lot of them it's the 192.168.1.1 that I mentioned earlier)

The port(s) are forwarded under program and settings and must be forwarded to the INTERNAL IP of your computer. To find your internal ip, go to file, run, command.com and type ipconfig in that window. THAT is your internal IP.

I hope this helps. Oh one further note: Do NOT rely on test sites!! the only way to check your settings is to try search and download in a hub that you are REGISTERED in!!.

Happy file sharing Apex User!!

Loco

I use port 1234 for both, but you should chose your own to avoid too much IP traffic on one port. Do NOT get into the 5 digit range though... these are used for other things and probably NOT reliable for DC program.

use 2 apps on the same port, wtf? and what is a "reliable" port? please state out why not to use such ports.

use 2 apps on the same port, wtf? and what is a "reliable" port? please state out why not to use such ports.

1. I believe loco is using port 1234 for both TCP and UDP port nos., which makes sense and is often a workaround for Apex.

2. A "reliable" port should be some free port, not used by another application, and not used by popular services (like 80, 25, 110, 21, all these are to be avoided, Google for a better list). However my Apex DC++ works great on port TCP/UDP 30003, a 5 digit port.

3. Please do not wtf at people trying to help you. :blushing:

HTH

1. I believe loco is using port 1234 for both TCP and UDP port nos., which makes sense and is often a workaround for Apex.

2. A "reliable" port should be some free port, not used by another application, and not used by popular services (like 80, 25, 110, 21, all these are to be avoided, Google for a better list). However my Apex DC++ works great on port TCP/UDP 30003, a 5 digit port.

3. Please do not wtf at people trying to help you. :blushing:

HTH

1. afaik tcp and udp ports are two different things. that "too much traffic on one port" confused me, anyway - thats cleared;

2. yes, thats the point, especially low number ports are registered to specific services, ports from 50000 up are "dynamic", they aint registered, so the chance of a port collision is far smaller than using something like port 23/80/443/1234, etc. also this improves security, but i guess thats not important for you. the user can use whatever port he wants, of course, if some other app on his box doesnt use it, afaik;

3. i havent asked for any help, im just interested in tcp/ip. im eager to learn new stuff, i may be wrong, i may be right, arent forums like this created for exchange of knowledge and ideas?

also fyi,

what the ****, a common expression of confusion or annoyance.

whats wrong with wtf?

TBH, I would be more inclined to believe ports are not being forwarded correctly than to say that your router is 'being naughty'.

A lot of people seem to find port forwarding confusing, god knows why, considering it's simple as.

TBH, I would be more inclined to believe ports are not being forwarded correctly than to say that your router is 'being naughty'.

A lot of people seem to find port forwarding confusing, god knows why, considering it's simple as.

of course it's very simple to port forward in routers, but .... my old ovislink router was realy "naughty" :P

I would say to look up the net for people with same router and see if they have same probs. If so, then you may have to accept this scenario.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0