#1 $tunna

HTTP & FTP Multi-sourcing

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'd like to see a feature to add HTTP & FTP sources to DC Downloads in ApexDC++.

If there are exact sources of the same file on the hub the client should multi-source the download from available hub sources & the HTTP / FTP sources.

Additonally, it would also be good to support HTTP & FTP sources that require authentication.

Thanks for any response.

-$tunna

Normally (for me) HTTP sources max my connection, otherwise I wouldn't use them. If they're going to max my connection then there's no need to use DC for it. Maybe someone wants it? I just can't see it beng of much use, bloat maybe?

I see it as a way to increase download speeds.

Isn't the goal of downloading to complete the download in the shortest amount of time possible? hmmm...

& there should be a built-in option to limit DL speeds in ApexDC++ that makes the "Connection Maxing" issue irrelevant.

this shot is from StrongDC++, but I am pretty sure it is in PeerWeb DC++ right now:

dl2wy.png

-$tunna

I don't see the ftp/http feature being used by the masses. I mean most users are going to download the file from dc, and i aspect you're going to need to enter the ftp address manually in order to download from it.

yes, but if the feature is available ppl will use it.

of course, the HTTP / FTP addresses would have to be entered manually.

yes, but if the feature is available ppl will use it.

of course, the HTTP / FTP addresses would have to be entered manually.

And due to most users not having access to ftp/http addresses with the exactl same file with exact same hash, this feature would take more time than it's worth.

how long do you think this would take? (guesstimate) because I am going to look at the PeerWeb DC++ & StrongDC++ code & try my hand at it.

thanks.

-$tunna

OK, last question.

what do you think the timeframe would be if I tried something like libcurl or similar to implement this feature?

thanks for any response.

-$tunna

I don't see the ftp/http feature being used by the masses. I mean most users are going to download the file from dc, and i aspect you're going to need to enter the ftp address manually in order to download from it.

If tunna were to write it for you (like he says he might), why not add it anyways?

If tunna were to write it for you (like he says he might), why not add it anyways?

If he does, we can evaluate it and see whether it's worth having it.

Would you use it? :unsure:

It will not be smth unusual or ugly on the GUI, so why not to have it as extra?

It will not be smth unusual or ugly on the GUI, so why not to have it as extra?

Because to begin with, he wanted us to do it, and he has no programming experience.

If he codes it and there is some demand for it sure. The whole attitude of just putting in for no reason seems a little pointless, seeing as I've had my own suggestions fired back because they'd clutter the GUI or settings or whatever. I just think that this isn't required, if there's any real demand for it then I'll take back my statement, by all means.

ppl want the files they r downloading fast and they prefer to have it yesterday. but would the addition of this make apex memory hungry? c'mon if ur already r using an ftp server is it than really needed ?

Because to begin with, he wanted us to do it, and he has no programming experience.

actually I do have programming experience. just not any "real world" experience.

since all DC++ derivatives are GPL I will try to implement features that are useful to users, this being one.

a lot of Admins / Devs just say no. I understand the time constraints / volunteer work, etc.

this work will be done in time that I can make for it also.

sometimes the users need to step up & do it themselves if they want something done.

-$tunna

Time for me to comment in here :lol:

This feature would never work well with DC as the possibility of finding the exactly same file on ftp server and DC is very unlikely unless someone put up a http/ftp mirror specially for this purpose (and this would be a special case) or if you download only from a strict original releases only (sharing of 100% original releasegroup releases) hub, which are then again usually private or semi-private (but still a reg-only) hubs...

And then there would still exist the problem of finding the http/ftp server containing original releases, because many servers with decent ammount of files go down pretty quickly...

(though as some of you may know there exist many reliable servers too, but this is not the right place for discussing about them)

As a side note: free file hosting services wouldn't work with this either :P

Conclusion: in my opinion this feature doesn't get used enough for it to be worth adding, but if someone is willing to spare the time in doing a patch for this (assuming the code is somewhat clean and commented) I am happy to check the code out and perhaps add it in, if there is enough demmand (though for now there seems not to be much of a demmand)

We both share the same thoughts, Crise. I wouldn't want this in ApexDC++ because nobody would use it.

yes Crise,

the situation you mentioned is exactly how it would be used. this is a feature that users on my hubs will use & yes I control the files that go on the web server, therefore there will be files w/ the exact same data sums on my web servers as in the hub.

this is an option that I need, therefore I will code it.

this thread has turned into opinionated responses from the outset, so I will exit this thread after this post.

-$tunna

yes Crise,

this is an option that I need, therefore I will code it.

this thread has turned into opinionated responses from the outset, so I will exit this thread after this post.

-$tunna

I was only thinking it as a feature request for ApexDC++ (mostly, at least) as after all you posted it as a feature request. And what do you mean with: "turned opinionated responses" if we would not post what we think of the featutres, there'd be hardly no discussion at all...

I was only thinking it as a feature request for ApexDC++ (mostly, at least) as after all you posted it as a feature request. And what do you mean with: "turned opinionated responses" if we would not post what we think of the featutres, there'd be hardly no discussion at all...

yes, it would be nice to have in ApexDC++. it seems that most users on Dev boards come across w/ attitudes. it's only a suggestion. constructive feedback is good, but asinine responses don't help anyone.

maybe I just took it the wrong way. if so, then my bad.

-$tunna

Time for me to comment in here :)

This feature would never work well with DC as the possibility of finding the exactly same file on ftp server and DC is very unlikely unless someone put up a http/ftp mirror specially for this purpose (and this would be a special case) or if you download only from a strict original releases only (sharing of 100% original releasegroup releases) hub, which are then again usually private or semi-private (but still a reg-only) hubs...

And then there would still exist the problem of finding the http/ftp server containing original releases, because many servers with decent ammount of files go down pretty quickly...

(though as some of you may know there exist many reliable servers too, but this is not the right place for discussing about them)

As a side note: free file hosting services wouldn't work with this either :o

Conclusion: in my opinion this feature doesn't get used enough for it to be worth adding, but if someone is willing to spare the time in doing a patch for this (assuming the code is somewhat clean and commented) I am happy to check the code out and perhaps add it in, if there is enough demmand (though for now there seems not to be much of a demmand)

DC++ & Torrent multisourcing would be easier and for sure should be used a lot if immplemented.

DC++ & Torrent multisourcing would be easier and for sure should be used a lot if immplemented.

Technically i don't know how easy this is, but i would certainty like to see this rather then ftp.

could you use some of the sharzaa code.

Edited by balder

Technically i don't know how easy this is, but i would certainty like to see this rather then ftp.

could you use some of the sharzaa code.

I'm looking into various options for this, I will have a look at Shareaza's code also, since it does HTTP & BT. I don't really like Shareaza's BT functionality though. uTorrent is looking good but it is closed source, so maybe will have a look @ Azureus's java code.

keep in mind that this is purely volunteer work & done on my free time.

so, there is no ETA. but work is underway.

-$tunna

Glad to see that you're putting some time into it, and thanks for keeping us updated. Good luck with it!