Yeti

2 nice features from Zion

34 posts in this topic

Hi,

First, thanks for all efforts you have put in Peerweb, and now in ApexDC++.

There are 2 nice features from Zion++ (http://virus27.free.fr/) that I would enjoy having in Peerweb.

The first one, in connection settings, in addition to "Auto-Update IP on startup", "Auto-Update IP every 10 minutes". So that when my ISP reset my IP I don't have to type it again (I presently use DynDNS service, but this option would make things easier).

The other one, in private messages, the ability to enable/disable the sound, so that when you are monitoring the private message window you don't have the annoying sound everytime someone else types something.

(but you can still enable it when you are doing something else at the same time).

(I would have add screen copies, but when I want to attach a file I have the error "The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error.")

Tell me what you think of this.

Hi,

First, thanks for all efforts you have put in Peerweb, and now in ApexDC++.

There are 2 nice features from Zion++ (http://virus27.free.fr/) that I would enjoy having in Peerweb.

The first one, in connection settings, in addition to "Auto-Update IP on startup", "Auto-Update IP every 10 minutes". So that when my ISP reset my IP I don't have to type it again (I presently use DynDNS service, but this option would make things easier).

The other one, in private messages, the ability to enable/disable the sound, so that when you are monitoring the private message window you don't have the annoying sound everytime someone else types something.

(but you can still enable it when you are doing something else at the same time).

(I would have add screen copies, but when I want to attach a file I have the error "The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error.")

Tell me what you think of this.

There is Disable Sounds button in the toolbar for a reason :)

And the first one, i'll consider it :)

Auto-Update IP on startup will definitely be in... we had it for PeerWeb DC++ and it was very useful. :)

Auto-Update IP on startup will definitely be in... we had it for PeerWeb DC++ and it was very useful. :)

he meant auto-update ip every 10 minutes :)

he meant auto-update ip every 10 minutes :)

You're right, I read it wrong. :)

We don't want the connection settings being full of different options, it will complicate the user. Considering many users don't even know how to setup their client properly in the connection window..

We plan to have a quick first time startup guide for the user to select between Basic and Advanced mode. Not sure how easy this will be.

We plan to have a quick first time startup guide for the user to select between Basic and Advanced mode. Not sure how easy this will be.

Also in the Todo-list there akredy is listed that we will possibly have something to ease new users first time configuration :)

Here are the screen copies from Zion++ so that you can see how it looks like.

post-47-1137903400_thumb.jpgpost-47-1137903449_thumb.jpg

The disable sounds button in the toolbar disables all sounds.

The good thing with the option I'm talking about is that you can disable sounds from the window you are monitoring, not from others.

For example, I am chatting via PM with a user, so I disable sounds for this window. But I still need sounds to tell me when someone adds something to the OP chat.

Considering a quick first time startup guide is a really good idea. But I've no idea how you can manage this :P .

Here are the screen copies from Zion++ so that you can see how it looks like.

post-47-1137903400_thumb.jpgpost-47-1137903449_thumb.jpg

The disable sounds button in the toolbar disables all sounds.

The good thing with the option I'm talking about is that you can disable sounds from the window you are monitoring, not from others.

For example, I am chatting via PM with a user, so I disable sounds for this window. But I still need sounds to tell me when someone adds something to the OP chat.

Considering a quick first time startup guide is a really good idea. But I've no idea how you can manage this :P .

This sound option is in LDC++ too

This sound option is in LDC++ too

I'll look into adding auto update ip every X minutes (haven't yet decided the count of minutes, as 10 seems too often to me) but disable sounds i don't think it'll happen unless i can get it hideable too like that clear chat button :P

I'll look into adding auto update ip every X minutes (haven't yet decided the count of minutes, as 10 seems too often to me) but disable sounds i don't think it'll happen unless i can get it hideable too like that clear chat button :P

Rather than having an option to show each individual feature, maybe a "Enable extra chat options" would be worth while.

:D

Rather than having an option to show each individual feature, maybe a "Enable extra chat options" would be worth while.

This Enable extra chat options would include Clear chat, Enable/Disable sounds and...

One small thing I would like to see is that once you set your UDP/TCP ports they stay put, not random everytime *DC++ is opened. Also a more intensive help file/section for troubleshooting connection settings for people behind firewalls and routers and xp.....

One small thing I would like to see is that once you set your UDP/TCP ports they stay put, not random everytime *DC++ is opened. Also a more intensive help file/section for troubleshooting connection settings for people behind firewalls and routers and xp.....

They do, as long as you don't set it to use UPnP.

I'm planning on extending my connection check into a connection-help site as well as merely a tool, so hopefully that'll provide the help you requested :P

They do, as long as you don't set it to use UPnP.

I'm planning on extending my connection check into a connection-help site as well as merely a tool, so hopefully that'll provide the help you requested :P

They will randomize on direct connection mode as well, so if user wants to disable this he has to use "Firewall with manual port forwarding"

"Firewall with manual port forwarding"

This needs to be on by default. When would you want ports to be randomised? It's stupid.

I do think it could do with being more clear - many users with routers which support UPnP will automatically choose the UPnP option whether or not that's the one they really want.

Thinking about it, surely there are only really two options needed - Active and Passive? Then have checkbox options for UPnP and random port numbers? Or am I being too idealistic? :P

EDIT: Actually, now I think about it, the connection settings screen is an accident waiting to happen. Things like 'Don't allow hub/UPnP to override' are confusing for new users

I do think it could do with being more clear - many

EDIT: Actually, now I think about it, the connection settings screen is an accident waiting to happen. Thing

like 'Don't allow hub/UPnP to override' are confusing for new users

i know Nas and i'm trying to do something to it, but the radiobuttons stay as they are though (can't be arsed to redo that part of the gui implentation)

Surely there isn't much you can do to make it simple without changing the radio buttons? :P

Surely there isn't much you can do to make it simple without changing the radio buttons? ;)

there isn't much i can do but there is something i can...

like: "Show Advanced Connection Options"

This needs to be on by default. When would you want ports to be randomised? It's stupid.

When your ISP keeps port f***** you? ;)

Yeah, CraKTeR is right, but I think it would make more sense to have the non-randomized option as default. Those settings did cause me some grief when I started using PeerWeb as a new user, and it was a bit of a learning curve before I understood how everything came together.

I also think the Update IP every 10 minutes is a brilliant idea. 10 minutes is good because the interval should prevent the client from being down more than 10 minutes - when the ISP automatically changes the IP, the client will not be back online until the IP is changed back.

10 minutes is a good interval Crise. "Disconnect users who leave hub" will be on by default, and if a user disconnects from the hub, and returns before 10 minutes they are granted a slot. Therefore, if a user is cut off due to an IP change, it would be wise to keep it at 10 minutes so they can get back in and receive the slot.