Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martijn

A bigger chat message box

27 posts in this topic

I'd like to see a bigger chat message box in ApexDC then PeerWeb DC has.

Already more than once I accidentally pasted multiple times in the box without noticing and a bigger or at least a resizing feature for that box would be great :)

Thanks

Why not just "Remember chat window size" and "Apply one size for all hubs" as its suboption in Settings?

I think he means the part where you type.

It has scroll arrows when it's more than one line...

But yeah, it'd be nice when there's those multiline things I like to say.

Edited by almiteycow

Sorry for being so distracted. Although the place where you read is not less important than the place you type. :)

OK, so "Maximum chat-type rows" like "Maximum tabs rows"? Or a user-defined (fixed) number?

Hmm, interesting idea, a dynamic chat-type rows, with a fixed maximum set by the user. I'm not sure if this is what he meant... but I can see it being something of use to some poeple. You would never normally need more then one row so you'd never see more then one. However, on the rare occasion that you do enter more then one line it automatically adjusts to the amount of lines needed. I like this idea... I wonder how possible it is though?

This is from my IM client Miranda, I'd like it a bit in that way:

msgbox9bt.png

Hmm, interesting idea, a dynamic chat-type rows, with a fixed maximum set by the user. I'm not sure if this is what he meant... but I can see it being something of use to some poeple. You would never normally need more then one row so you'd never see more then one. However, on the rare occasion that you do enter more then one line it automatically adjusts to the amount of lines needed. I like this idea... I wonder how possible it is though?

That would be annoying. If you paste something with a lot of lines, the main chat isn't visible.

That would be annoying. If you paste something with a lot of lines, the main chat isn't visible.

It will be visible, if there is "max. lines" option, i. e. if you give value 5, it will change from 1-5 depending on the content, but never over 5 lines... :)

Why not just "Remember chat window size" and "Apply one size for all hubs" as its suboption in Settings?

I think doing that will add too much bulk to the settings. Why not just doing something simple like the double arrow like you get in an MSN chat box where you hand adjust the size?

I think doing that will add too much bulk to the settings. Why not just doing something simple like the double arrow like you get in an MSN chat box where you hand adjust the size?

That's what I'd like. We'll have to see if it gets done. :unsure:

It will be visible, if there is "max. lines" option, i. e. if you give value 5, it will change from 1-5 depending on the content, but never over 5 lines... :unsure:

:)

It will be visible, if there is "max. lines" option, i. e. if you give value 5, it will change from 1-5 depending on the content, but never over 5 lines... :unsure:

I like the idea... similar requests alrady has been posted on SDC++ forum, but I don't think they will be done in SDC++ RC11 (God, when??) so it would be good to see them in ApexDC++ at least.

A resizable one would be enough, I'd just refer one which automatically adjusted according to the inputted message. May well be more coding or whatever anyway.

may i remind u that a hub owner sets the max chat length ? the danger in having a bigger chat message box are those annoying cut due length messages

may i remind u that a hub owner sets the max chat length ? the danger in having a bigger chat message box are those annoying cut due length messages

This gives me the idea of putting a "character counter" and, if possible, a message "Max chars reached" before Enter is pressed.

But the size of writing box has nothing to do with "cut due length". In smaller box even the possibility not to see the "extra" characters increases.

Maybe the arrows could appear automatically if the message is consisting of 2+ lines?

Edited by Zlobomir

This gives me the idea of putting a "character counter" and, if possible, a message "Max chars reached" before Enter is pressed.

But the size of writing box has nothing to do with "cut due length". In smaller box even the possibility not to see the "extra" characters increases.

Maybe the arrows could appear automatically if the message is consisting of 2+ lines?

I don't think "character counter" is possible, as hubs may not send that info to user (haven't checked though)

I diddn't quite follow the rest of your post, they (or rather it) alredy get(s) enabled when message is multiline.

(side note: your arrows are actually a scrollbar)

Character count is not possible diffrent on each hub, only set able by user that would be then.

I meant character counter X for the characters typed in the box, assuming you remember the limit in the particular hub. And (if hub sends back character limit (Z) ) another counter Y=Z-X=chars remaining...

Yes, but most hubs don't really send that imformation to the user (do they? :S), I can see the message length thing being useful to some degree to some maybe, but by choice I wouldn't want to see it all the time.

Yes, but most hubs don't really send that imformation to the user (do they? :S), I can see the message length thing being useful to some degree to some maybe, but by choice I wouldn't want to see it all the time.

So do it as option "Show character counter"?

Yeah, I guess so, if Crise wants to do it. ;) Is there many people that would use it?

Yeah, I guess so, if Crise wants to do it. :) Is there many people that would use it?

Well I personally won't see such counter being of any use, to majority of the users (was about to write anyone, but cchanged my mind)

It is useful - I mean auto-resizable message box (or at least static size) because it prevents stupid situations when You paste something more then you actually expected. This happens in lots of situations - when playing with copy-paste or scrolling typed message history...

about character counter - kind of useful but not that much.

It is useful - I mean auto-resizable message box (or even static size) because it prevents stupid situations when You paste something more then you actually expected. This happens in lots of situations - when playing with copy-paste or scrolling typed message history...

about character counter - kind of useful but not that much.

my prev. post was mainly about the character counter, I'll figure some nice way to make the message box better, even if i have to break the current rather nice layout that i personally like pretty much :)

A resizable message box is fine, but one that automatically adjusts would be preferable I think, to me at least. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0