Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Alpha 2 (Bon Echo)

33 posts in this topic

Firefox is the award winning next generation browser from Mozilla. Firefox empowers you to browse faster, more safely, and more efficiently than with any other browser. Make the switch today - Firefox imports your Favorites, settings and other information, so you have nothing to lose.

Changes in 2.0 Alpha 2:
  • Links default to opening in new tabs, not new windows
  • Close buttons now appear on every tab, and the close behaviour is slightly different
  • Inline spell checking in text boxes
  • Automatic restoration of your browsing session if there is a crash
  • Search suggestions now appear in the search box auto-complete for Google and Yahoo!
  • New search plugin manager for removing and re-ordering search engines
  • Improved support for previewing and subscribing to web feeds
  • New microsummaries feature for bookmarks
  • New Add-Ons manager improves the user interface for managing extensions and themes
  • Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions
  • New search service that supports Sherlock and OpenSearch engines
  • Support for SVG text using svg:textPath

Changes in 2.0 Alpha 1:
  • Changes to tabbed browsing behavior
  • New data storage layer for bookmarks and history (using SQLlite)
  • Extended search plugin format
  • Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions
  • Support for SVG text using svg:textPath

Download: Firefox 2.0 Alpha 2

This is a significant improvement on 1.5, it's stable too.. so try it out. :)

Firefox is the award winning next generation browser from Mozilla. Firefox empowers you to browse faster, more safely, and more efficiently than with any other browser. Make the switch today - Firefox imports your Favorites, settings and other information, so you have nothing to lose.

expect, that some extensions refuse to work (not sure if the new addons manager is enabled in this build though, as i use burning edge builds aka nightlies)

expect, that some extensions refuse to work (not sure if the new addons manager is enabled in this build though, as i use burning edge builds aka nightlies)

Addon manager is enabled, and use an nightly extension enabler. :)

Addon manager is enabled, and use an nightly extension enabler. :)

that works fine for most true, but any extension/theme related extensions (or extensions that provide alternate way of access to themes/extensions) will most likely have problems.

Greg, ask any Firefox enthusiast and you will get the answer that Firefox is the fastest so.

Opera is good and all, however not Free and that really sucks in my eyes. Well it comes from Norway were I'm from so I should be proud but :P

Noticed an bug with it though, on an homepage with switchable css files you need to refresh every single page to get it to change :lol:

Crakter, opera is free by now. Beta 9 is faster than ffox pretty much at anything (personal experience impression), but terribly uncomfy in that it lacks a lot of things (extentions) that I have in my ffox.

Now actually to those, who are using ffox 2 alpha - does it make sense to enable fasterfox with it?

Also how about FFox 3 - anyone using it?

Edited by Lost Angel

Also how about FFox 3 - anyone using it?

Firefox 3 isn't out yet...

Greg, ask any Firefox enthusiast and you will get the answer that Firefox is the fastest so.

Opera is good and all, however not Free and that really sucks in my eyes. Well it comes from Norway were I'm from so I should be proud but :P

Noticed an bug with it though, on an homepage with switchable css files you need to refresh every single page to get it to change :lol:

You do realise that since version 6 (not seen tests to previous versions) it has been the fastest browser on Windows, and not just out of Firefox and IE either. It's also free and has been for quite some time. As to that bug, it's either in the beta because it's a beta, or it's not in the new beta. :P

Also, my post what in quotation marks for a reason... that is/was their slogan.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...-trunk/?C=M;O=D

or here -

http://www.philka.ru/comment.php?comment.news.1800

not sure which one is better... it is out for a while already - sort of pre-alpha thing -)

the ftp link is only for latest trunk builds (read; builds that are continuosly developed not tied to any specific version, branch builds then again are builds towards certain version ie. 1.5.0.4)

also that so called alpha for 3.0 is just some random nightly trunk build (Minefield == trunk build)

Well I only tested on Opera 9.

Depending on what your after and what settings you use I would guess you could make Firefox as fast as Opera. Reality and sayings is two different things though :lol: But I won't start that discussion.

But, I wouldn't change anyways since I think Opera uses too much memory and has too many "fancy" features.

I just installed the alpha now, the feature I like the most by far now is the new "Inline spell checking in text boxes", adding red lines under wrongly spelled words. Good for non english like me. :P

you can tweak firefox to any extent by typing about:config and changing the settings around just make sure YOU know what you are doing

You can also use fastefox, but Opera's engine still means it can render the pages faster, it's not just about the speed of downloading from the servers, that of course can be changed in Opera too. As to the fancy features... I'd say it's lacking them really but there are some which arn't needed. As to the memory it uses, I'd say firefox is worse. I've been using Opera as my main browser for years, but I did switch to firefox for quite a while, and it's far from a bad broswer and it's more custimizable then Opera, but the problem I find it that it's more you can add stuff then change. What's already there actually allows fairly little customization really, the same is true with Opera to a large extent.

You can also use fastefox, but Opera's engine still means it can render the pages faster, it's not just about the speed of downloading from the servers, that of course can be changed in Opera too. As to the fancy features... I'd say it's lacking them really but there are some which arn't needed. As to the memory it uses, I'd say firefox is worse. I've been using Opera as my main browser for years, but I did switch to firefox for quite a while, and it's far from a bad broswer and it's more custimizable then Opera, but the problem I find it that it's more you can add stuff then change. What's already there actually allows fairly little customization really, the same is true with Opera to a large extent.

well, at least ff's toolbars are more flexible ;) (as i can't seem to find a way to move tab bar directly below adress bar in opera, which is one of the reasons i don't use opera) and i bet many users use FF only because the lack of customization and the extensions they are used to having with FF. And also even though correctly tweaked opera can render and load data from server faster than FF, i think FF displays some pages more nicely than opera (mainly because FF is not quite as strict with standards than opera is, even though they are close) and this results to the fact that some more poorly done pages are a tad bit more viewable with FF. (i'm not saying that being strict with standars is a bad thing, nor do i want this topic to turn into debate between upto standard and not upto standard, webrowsers/-pages, even though i too prefer doing the work i do with webpages acording to latests standards)

I'd rather us talk useful plugins.

I am using:

fasterfox

adblock plus

adblock filterset updater

customze google

cute menus

download statusbar

flashgot

forecastfox

nightly tester tools

noscript

session manager

tab clicking options

ui tweaker

update notifier

and I am on the ffox 2 alpha 2

I suggest you post yours here too so we could all benefit from the selection.

Edited by Lost Angel

Generated: Fri May 26 2006 23:12:58 GMT+0300 (FLE Standard Time)

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060523 Firefox/1.5.0.4

Build ID: 2006052304

Enabled Extensions: [17]

- Adblock 0.5.3.042 - Filters ads from web-pages

- Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.4 - Synchronizes Adblock with Filterset.G

- All-In-One Sidebar 0.7 Beta 1 - Quickly switch between sidebars, view dialog windows such as downloads, extensions, and more in the sidebar, or view source or websites in the sidebar. It includes a slide-out button and a toolbar, all of which can be extensively customized.

- BBCodeXtra 0.2.5.4 - Adds BBCode/HTML/XHTML commands to the context menu

- ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 - Advanced Eyedropper, ColorPicker, Page Zoomer and other colorful goodies.

- CuteMenus - Crystal SVG 1.0 - Adds icons to all menu items.

- DOM Inspector 1.8.0.4 - Inspect the DOM of HTML, XUL, and XML pages, including the browser chrome.

- Fasterfox 1.0.3 - Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.

- FlashGot 0.5.9.995 - Enables single and massive("all" and "selection") downloads using the most popular external downloadmanagers for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD(dozens currently supported, see Extension's Home Page for details).FlashGot offers also a Build Gallery functionality which helps to synthetizefull media galleries in one page from serial contents originally scattered onseveral pages, for easy and fast "download all".

- Gmail Manager 0.4.3.6 - Gmail accounts management and new mail notifications.

- IE Tab 1.0.9 - Enables you to use the embedded IE engine within Mozilla/Firefox.

- JavaScript Options 1.2.4 - Provides advanced JavaScript options for Firefox.

- Linkification 1.2.3 - Converts text links into genuine, clickable links.

- MR Tech Local Install 5.0.3 - Local Install power tools for all users. (en-US)

- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.60514 - Tab browsing with an added boost.

- Talkback 1.5.0.4 - Submit a crash report to Mozilla.org.

- User Agent Switcher 0.6.8 - Adds a menu and a toolbar button to switch the user agent of the browser.

Disabled Extensions: [2]

- BookmarksHome 1.5.2 - localized description now

- Html Validator 0.7.9 - Adds HTML validation to the View Page Source of the browser. The validation is done by Tidy from W3c.

Total Extensions: 19

Installed Themes: [1]

- Firefox (default)

And as you can see from my user agent i'm using Firefox 1.5.0.X Nightlies atm.

Well I don't know what version you were using Crise, but the 9 beta 2 or whatever can put the tab bar at the bottom fine. The same way that you'd put any other toolbars at the bottom.

sorry i just had to jump in a say my fava extentions

livehttp headers -- dose exactly what it says (on the tin for enyone from the uk)

firebug -- if you do web dev get this!

add n edit cookies -- again does what it says

leetkey -- please dont be deswaded by the name of this extention. it can do inline base64, hex, url rot13, binary morse, DES and of corse |337 encoding/decoding. this and source in tab is very good if you are doing anything with soap or saml .

i wonder if ill ever write a post which i dont have to edit [twice. three times, 4 lol] as soon as i'v read it

Edited by balder

Well I don't know what version you were using Crise, but the 9 beta 2 or whatever can put the tab bar at the bottom fine. The same way that you'd put any other toolbars at the bottom.

yes i can get it in the very bottom of the screen but not directly below address bar. and i'm using weekly builds of opera 9 (currently same as beta 2, but not for long)

yes i can get it in the very bottom of the screen but not directly below address bar. and i'm using weekly builds of opera 9 (currently same as beta 2, but not for long)

Exactly the same issue I had with Opera. The customisation isn't up to scratch..

Oh right, I see what you mean I think. Like this:

Clipboard_Image2.png

Alright, shame I can't do that. :) I'm sure it'll be possible to do in the future? :)

Alright, shame I can't do that. :) I'm sure it'll be possible to do in the future? :)

ok, i too managed to do that now, but i still think FF's toolbar managment is way more user-friendly :)

When I installed this it apparently messed up my dads Outlook. Guess that was because Opera decided it wanted to be the default mail client..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0