Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pundan

What would really float my boat

15 posts in this topic

First off, I'm new to this forum (just started using ApexDC++ recently) so if this has been suggested before, I'm really sorry. Many board admins tell people to search for older topics, but many of those admins also ban/warn people for replying to several years old topics so I thought; why not create my own topic?

Off we go, for years I've been searching for a client that has a slick GUI and is easy to customize to one's own liking. I find that ApexDC++ is the closest I've come in my search, but there's still one function I'm searching for. I want to be able to choose a background image for the mainchat window. I guess this is pretty simple coding, and those that doesn't like such a feature are free to not use it. I'd also like if there's an option for let's say "setting the opacity of the picture" and so forth.

Just to show you my vision I have created the following example. (Behold the power of the Gaussian Blur-filter!)

Oh and one more thing, as the mainchat is well-used in all hubs I'm apart of/member of it'd be nice if the background would have a fixed position and not stay in one spot and disappear as the mainchat window scrolls down automatically (if you know what I mean).

So yeah, that's pretty much it, oh and a dupe checker similar to the one in fulDC would be appreciated as well!

Thanks for a great application, keep up the good work!

It has been available in previous versions, but was removed from StrongDC++ (which we inherited) because nobody used it. You must be one of the few that actually would like to use it. :)

I would use it if it had some options similar to those you get when setting the wallpaper on Windows. Tile, center, stretch etc. Being able to anchor the image into one corner would also be useful. If it's poorly implemented where the image is automatically streched (badly) then it's not worth adding.

By the way... Interesting choice of picture Pundan. :)

It has been available in previous versions, but was removed from StrongDC++ (which we inherited) because nobody used it. You must be one of the few that actually would like to use it. :)

Yeah it's a shame, I guess most people are getting used to the boring "text-only"-mode. However as ApexDC++ is one of the few clients that have really good customization-features and pretty easy to get rather good-looking (just look at your site aswell, it's sweet) I think you guys should put that feature back in. It's a nice feature to have, even if nobody's using it, out of personal experience I can say that if an application looks pretty sweet on screenshots I'd rather download that one, instead of an app with a ****ty GUI. That's really what attracted me to ApexDC++ in the beginning, your site looked sweet and the screenshots were good, overall it looked pretty nifty.

I guess I have to bribe you with a donation then...

i think this is a good feature and would probably use it

I don't care, I won't use it, but have nothing against if it would be there and someone else would use it :)

And if it will not use ANY extra resources when switched off. Some more HDD space is bearable... Actually who knows, may turn out a good way to differ b/w hubs, if this is put in Favs with browse button to pic. So maybe all would use it...

And hubs able to force-upload their custom icons and background :)

JK... but hubbased sounds fan (still won't use it probably)

And hubs able to force-upload their custom icons and background :)

JK... but hubbased sounds fan (still won't use it probably)

Not too joky... "Allow hub to override", like for the IP. ;) Just a little hubsoft work :P

And if it will not use ANY extra resources when switched off. Some more HDD space is bearable... Actually who knows, may turn out a good way to differ b/w hubs, if this is put in Favs with browse button to pic. So maybe all would use it...

Of course it will use a few extra resources. I don't mind using a few kilobytes of my RAM to make my client look more active. (And that's all we're talking I think... Wouldn't be a significant increase in resource usage.)

It's only worth having if it's well implemented though.

Of course it will use a few extra resources. I don't mind using a few kilobytes of my RAM to make my client look more active. (And that's all we're talking I think... Wouldn't be a significant increase in resource usage.)

It's only worth having if it's well implemented though.

Agrees to that last line, I think there was one person in here that said it should have the same functions as in Windows (Stretch, Center etc) and yeah I agree with that. Also if one could change the opacity of the picture it'd rule. Yeah well, I think I got my point through with this post, hopefully you guys bring back the function now that you know there's some interest in such a feature. Thanks for reading.

me too! woohoo! :-)

just read that here about that cool idea, and i must admit that would be totally awsome having it.

About the opacity, it is not so hard to adjust it with some GFX program and use it, will save resources I think.

About the opacity, it is not so hard to adjust it with some GFX program and use it, will save resources I think.

Yeah I could easily do it myself, I was thinking of those that doesn't have a graphics editor on their computer. I think the feature would feel more well-done if it has many options, a shame though about the resources. If this somehow ends up in a future version of Apex I'd be happy if it just let you use an image. Doesn't really need more than that. Sometimes less is more.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0