Aztek

Prevent users from occupying more than one upload slot

Well...   33 members have voted

1. 1. Do this ?

• Yes !!!
    • No !

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

75 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have known about this bug for a while and i want to get rid of it, since it is using up my slots...

Here is an example:

uploadwtfbuuuugzw3.png

my suggestion is that only a single slot can be occupied by each connecting IP

being able to connect to the user is ok while he is downloading from me (like in that screenshot), but he is using 2 slots from me which is silly

Please vote and explain your support (or lack of it)

Thanks,

Aztek

p.s: pleeeeeeeeease stop the client from sending SR's to stuff im dling and recently dled AND NOT SHARING (if saveto location is NOT shared, do not return SR's for it !)

Edited by Aztek

This is the whole point in a multi source client. I believe what your asking for is to remove segmented downloading and multi sourcing. I don't believe this would be a good idea but you can take it up with the developers. I really don't see this getting fulfilled though.

well atleast add this as an OPTION !

about the p.s: if i dont share stuff i download, then i dont want people to be able to download it from me, its fiiiine if i am sharing it, other vice no

atm, there is a user downloading files from me that i dont share, to stop him i need to close the connection and rename the file... veeery annoying...

Edited by Aztek
wdc likes this

well atleast add this as an OPTION !

about the p.s: if i dont share stuff i download, then i dont want people to be able to download it from me, its fiiiine if i am sharing it, other vice no

atm, there is a user downloading files from me that i dont share, to stop him i need to close the connection and rename the file... veeery annoying...

just disable segmented downloading and you will get what you want ;-)

EDIT: Kulmegil was faster ;)))

no i like to be able to seg dl, but not seg upl ;)

all i want is my client to stop sending SR's for stuff i dont share !

There is an option to avoid partial sharing already (disable segmented downloading) as mentioned by Big Muscle and Kulmegil... and that's the way it's going to stay, sorry.

Still max upload slots per IP is wroth considering - probably even in ADC world where users are identified by unique CID (bad clients will give different CIDs on each hub to suck out more slots from You).

Exclude favorite users and "free" stuff (filelists, TTHL's, small files) from limit. And it's quite simple to implement.

wdc likes this

no i like to be able to seg dl, but not seg upl :)

then you are a leecher and you shouldn't be on DC at all.

Voted NO mainly because im only on private hubs, and i find it usefull. If majority votes YES and if its proven to be better on public hubs, im all for it.

might be, i am an operator in all hubs i am in, and i don't share as a op :)

thats one of the reason i want people not to be able to download from me

Did You enabled hideshare option (in addition to not sharing anything)?

PS :) I really, really don't get how could people ever vote NO for adding this optional limit. Makes me wonder if they really know what was the question. Since benefits are obvious (to me at least) ... maybe someone can show me at least one argument against it?

Simple there are network setups where many people may share only a single or a few real IP's...

Yeah thats it, i have 5 computers, each have same IP. Luckily im the only one using DC atm, but what if someone else would. :)

the limit would be OPTIONAL, not default on or something like that just a tick in advanced or some "Only allow each IP to occupy one upload port" and add a tooltip "Warning: Enabling this might prevent multiple legitimate users from the same IP from downloading from you"

and grant extra slot might allow users to bypass that limit...

in the dl bar area just say "This IP is blocked because it is already downloading from this user" then the user can request a slot and viola :)

sounds simple enough...

Edited by Aztek

So what's the real chance that few people using single IP will want to download from You at a time (unless You share over 10TB or something). Even IF all this changes that second user will have to wait a bit. World is moving into direction of giving each user unique IP (at least when IPv6 will kick in). Besides it's upto sharer to decide...

Simply Put: Use DC++ if your in private hubs and don't want multiple anything. But if you want to multiple download but not let peeps multiple upload then I am with Big Muscle your leaching and shouldn't be on DC anyhow

Edited by Motorhead

might be, i am an operator in all hubs i am in, and i don't share as a op :)

thats one of the reason i want people not to be able to download from me

If you're an OP and you don't share (don't see the point in that though, it only raises hub's share size...), but you download... then sorry, but you're a leecher. Being OP doesn't (shouldn't) exclude you from sharing, DC is not a download program, it's a filesharing program.

If you're an OP and you don't share (don't see the point in that though, it only raises hub's share size...), but you download... then sorry, but you're a leecher. Being OP doesn't (shouldn't) exclude you from sharing, DC is not a download program, it's a filesharing program.

Okay, As a non techie, I'm probably missing something here.

Surely the thing to do is set downloads up to go into a folder you're not sharing.

i don't, i download, sort and THEN put in the sharing folder...

i don't want the unsorted stuff i am not sharing atm to be uploaded.

Simple there are network setups where many people may share only a single or a few real IP's...

yes, that's the point ... for example at our university campus there were over 1000 computers using the same real IP address ... and i bet it isn't the only place on earth :angry:

and yepp, as if it would be optional, it would be good, but as i know ppl rarely read what the client sais (and will probably say that they got "connection closed" not "someone is currently downloading from this IP, so please ask for extra if you want to get sg, blabla") and will only ask for support or help and answers why cannot they download from some ppl.

believe me, ppl rarely read the error messages or any automated messages, so it's "dangerous" to implement such an option as would flood the support ppl with questions ;)

btw: i'm not sharing also instantly what i downloaded ... first sort them out after checking, and only than share back, but my share is fairly enough ( i think ) ... without putting all newly downloaded stuff instantly

In a way I can see the point. If one person has all his upload slots used on one person, then surely that means that the idea of sharing is redundant?

In much the same was as opening only 1 slot is frowned upon, opening 5 and having them all used by 1 user, you may as well have 1 slot?

It can't really be reasonable be implemented with the NMDC protocol, maybe bring this up once ADC is more widely used.

at least three clients implemented this feature very correctly: they are checking IP+exact share size, or IP+nick (if share size is 0).

i've tested this much and didn't find troubles with users beyond NAT