tts2271

searchable offline filelists

11 posts in this topic

i was wondering, since there is this option not to delete the filelists when exiting, is it possible to include them when searching something so you dont have to open every single one of them manually and search then one by one.

maybe as a addtional option in the search dialogue [x] search online, [x] search offline filelists only or [x] search both etc..

This could be very good. Think of having 200 filelists saved, you could search for a file/TTH easily, no matter if some filelists could be old, you can find alternatives anyway.

I find this useful too. FYI you can use File / Match downloaded lists to search all downloaded filelists for all of the files in your download queue. (match them)

Hmm, just testing it, crashed, lazy to post elsewhere:

Code: c0000005 (Access violation)

Version: 1.0.0B3 (2007-04-13)

Major: 5

Minor: 1

Build: 2600

SP: 2

Type: 1

Time: 2007-05-12 13:34:45

TTH: B2VUJ2BYUQKVSUZ3ULFJJPKD46LL5MFW6XITYAI

ntdll!0x7C918FEA: RtlpWaitForCriticalSection

ntdll!0x7C90104B: RtlEnterCriticalSection

l:\lf share\unshared\apexdc\source\trunk\client\queuemanager.cpp(1462): QueueManager::saveQueue

l:\lf share\unshared\apexdc\source\trunk\client\queuemanager.cpp(1726): QueueManager::on

l:\lf share\unshared\apexdc\source\trunk\client\timermanager.cpp(40): TimerManager::run

l:\lf share\unshared\apexdc\source\trunk\client\thread.h(141): Thread::starter

f:\sp\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\threadex.c(348): _callthreadstartex

f:\sp\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\threadex.c(326): _threadstartex

Download queue: 157582, 267 GB. Filelists: 470, 200 MB.

anything new on that? is it coming? is it beeing considered?

i think there is not much point in it, as if you're looking for files in previously downloaded filelists there's absolutely no garantee that those will still be there, when the user would connect again, but the option "Match downloaded lists" is still there to find alternatives in offline filelists for sg you have in your queue.

Considering you have to be online to search and download your files surely adding from old file-lists is kinda useless?

I think it's not completley useless, sometimes I match queues with previously downloaded filelists (not equal to old), but I think that the "Match downloaded lists" feature is sufficient for it.

If it's a file you don't need instantly then waiting until the user is back online should be ok. You can already search through filelists, and use "Match Queue", it wouldn't be pointless adding this. However, considering how it can take a while to load filelists in the client, if you search through all your offline filelists it could take a while and use a few computer resources. I can see the use for this but I'm not sure how efficient it would be if implemented.

I have been looking for this very feature.

Some implementation thoughts on this offline-search:

- should be optional (default equal to the option "Don't delete file lists when exiting")

- should be in separate thread with idle-priority set

Consider following situation: we have small local hub, with most users sharing staticly or not changing too much, so the files are almost guaranteed to be in users share, when they come online. The offline-search provides perfect solution.

The "Don't delete file lists when exiting" should have quota option, deleting oldest file first on quota exceeded.

I've actually been wanting a feature like this for a long time...

I have over 800 file lists across about 10 hubs saved on my computer, and I find myself constantly running queue matches on certain rarities I'm downloading, hoping to find other rarities of the same type, and usually I actually find them... and get them downloaded when the users sign back on. The problem with this is, it's time consuming. Very time consuming.

I can't see too many people needing this sort of feature, but for private hubbers who archive certain things, it would be a god-send.

If nothing more, this would be extremely useful for grabbing TTHs so Apex can run searches for them while you're idling.