Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparky69

Help needed re transferring ApexDC++ to a new computer

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've just got a new computer and so now I'm wanting to transfer ApexDC++ on to it from my old computer. Just wondering how I go about doing this with regards to transferring incomplete downloads and favourite hubs etc. over on to the new computer so everything remains the same just on a different computer?

I'm quite a new user of ApexDC++ and I've just joined this forum, so forgive me if I "can't see the wood for the trees" yet on this one! I've searched for things like "migrating ApexDC++" and "exporting ApexDC++" on the forum so far, but I haven't found what I'm needing to know yet.

Best wishes,

David.

Copy your apexdc folder to the new place(your queue,settings and favorites are there),copy your temporary directory(if it's not the default one,by default it's in apexdc dir (named "Incomplete")) and then set it in settings. And you are ready to download :wacko:

Edited by ifmn

And also certificates directory should be changed accordingly, as well as logs.

Yes, if you want you can reset all your settings by deleting "DCPlusPlus.xml" inside settings dir (that doesn't include favs,queue). Your tmp dir will be the default one (ApexDC_Dir/Incomplete), so everything should work (if you haven't changed your tmp dir, then you still need to change it).

If you transfer apex to the same dir as the old one (f.e C:\Program Files\) and if you haven't changed your tmp dir, just 'copy folder' method will work :)

Thanks a lot, ifmn and Zlobomir!

I think I know what I've got to do now, but there's just a couple more things that I'm still a bit unsure about. ifmn, you know when you're saying to just take a copy of the ApexDC++ folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\ApexDC++) and put this in the same place on my new computer? Do I then have to re-install ApexDC++ on my new computer after copying this folder on to it, or is it just a simple matter of setting a shortcut on my Desktop to ApexDC++'s ".exe" file (i.e. the file, ApexDC.exe that's in the ApexDC++ folder) to get it to run on my new computer? There's no files that are put in the Windows folder as well when you install ApexDC++, are there?

Also, what do I have to do re changing the Certificates and Logs folders? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean about changing these folders, ifmn. I've just had a look in these, and I see they're both empty. I couldn't see the Certificates folder at first, but I've now found it as a sub-folder of the Settings folder, with both this folder and the Logs folder being sub-folders of the ApexDC++ folder.

There's no need to reinstall it (unless you want it to appear in add/rem. progs)

So long story short: copy your apex folder, open apexdc.exe,set your tmp/logs/cert. directory/ies and start downloading :)

Sorry, what I meant to say there was "Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean about changing these folders, Zlobomir." - apologies ifmn!

OK,if you haven't changed your temporary dir,just delete "DCPlusPlus.xml" inside settings dir and you'll have all your settings deleted(i guess you haven't changed anything in settings so it's no loss).Copy apex's folder to the new location.Then start apex,you favorites and queue will be the same, tmp files will be there and your ready to dl:)

If you have changed it,ill explain.

Thanks ifmn!

On reflection, I think me asking about re-installation of ApexDC++ was the wrong thing for me to do, as OK yes it would mean that ApexDC++'ll be all set-up and working again on my new computer, but if I was to copy the current ApexDC++ folders over on to my new computer before re-installing ApexDC++, doing this would then mean I overwrite things I'm wanting to remain unaltered, so it would be defeating the objective then really, i.e. not keeping things the same, only on a new computer which is what I'm wanting.

Thanks again to you and Zlobomir for your help - much appreciated!

NP ;) If you really want apex to be 'installed' then install apex and overwrite the folder with your old apex :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0