Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigcanuck

Vista deleting settings

17 posts in this topic

Everytime I restart Vista, which I've recently upgraded too. Apex forces me to reset all my settings, which it seems are not saving upon exit and I have to rehash my entire share (sorta annoying with a 300 gig share).

Any ideas?

Everytime I restart Vista, which I've recently upgraded too. Apex forces me to reset all my settings, which it seems are not saving upon exit and I have to rehash my entire share (sorta annoying with a 300 gig share).

Any ideas?

doesent happen to me, im using binary.

did you use an installer?

doesent happen to me, im using binary.

Man that sucks ! I wouldnt think it's a client thing. It must be Vista. that probably doesnt help but I'm thinkin vista sees it as a threat or sees the settings as spy or adware thats just a guess. I heard vista security does very strange things with dc though.

Not really TYRRAM, 'Defender' on vista does nothing to it. Aside from UAC, which can be turned off, there is no security bugs or incompatibilities.

Some Anti-Virus software that have advanced heuristics and riskware detection tools can cause trouble to many applications not just DC.

Not really TYRRAM, 'Defender' on vista does nothing to it. Aside from UAC, which can be turned off, there is no security bugs or incompatibilities.

Some Anti-Virus software that have advanced heuristics and riskware detection tools can cause trouble to many applications not just DC.

I should mention (my bad) that that UAC is turned off on mine (finds it annoying personnally). other than that I'm running Vista Ultimate.

I'll assume you mean the apex installer, and yes I did. I suppose I could try reinstalling it via binary but I was being lazy to be honest.

could be some bug in the installer, i dunno to be honest, i cant reproduce your problem.

could be some bug in the installer, i dunno to be honest, i cant reproduce your problem.

:blink:

I've tried playing around different things to no avail. It seems to do it as well when my laptop goes to "sleep". Can someone tell me when Apex saves it settings? I think it's when the program closes?

The only small issue in the installer I have found is that it places a second *.exe in \Setting. Is it possible this second *.exe to become the "working" one, messing up directories?

The only small issue in the installer I have found is that it places a second *.exe in \Setting. Is it possible this second *.exe to become the "working" one, messing up directories?

That would make sense however that'd only be the case if both .exe were running at the same time and since my short cuts point only to one it would avoid said issue.

Yep, but I haven't tested how stable is the binding to any of the *.exes, and since some users (pls do not take it to heart, as a support member I must expect the worst :D ) just put the Apex folder on the Desktop and browse each time in it to start... all could happen. If you do not do it this way, another person could, and then say: "yeah, true, settings lost". And these are two issues...

Yep, but I haven't tested how stable is the binding to any of the *.exes, and since some users (pls do not take it to heart, as a support member I must expect the worst :D ) just put the Apex folder on the Desktop and browse each time in it to start... all could happen. If you do not do it this way, another person could, and then say: "yeah, true, settings lost". And these are two issues...

no offense taken lol I do enough comp support myself and know what some people do sometimes lol. No it's installed to the default apex folder so in my case

C:\Program Files\ApexDC and I start it through either a short cut on my desktop or in the start menu (yes both target files are identical). Also their is no 2nd exe in my case. However do you know when Apex saves stuff on close or at random intervals? I'd imagine it should do both... or if you know where it's located in the code roughly I could go find it.

Edit::

It seems to more so only happen when my computer goes to sleep (which I've now disabled since well it annoys me anyway). However I'll be glad to help further explore this with you guys if you want. I suspect it has to do with how vista suspends it's programs and isn't allowing or tiping off Apex, to when it goes to sleep, that Apex can save it's settings.

Do not ask me for coding! :)

And afaik Apex saves only on exit, but wait for a confirmation... I guess smth goes wrong when moving settings info from RAM to HDD.

Do not ask me for coding! :)

lol fair enough.

*pokes Crise and Lee on the shoulder* hehe.

And afaik Apex saves only on exit, but wait for a confirmation... I guess smth goes wrong when moving settings info from RAM to HDD.

Ya that's my assumption, every works fine as long as I shut Apex down before it goes to sleep. So it's only when Vista is force closing programs or suspending them. :)

...however, if you open Apex w/o any hubs and transfers active, to ensure a fast and safe exit, and do your settings, then IMMEDIATELY close the program and open it again, it should load the settings. And even if you have the issue again, it should return to this point... Please check and let us know if this helps...

...however, if you open Apex w/o any hubs and transfers active, to ensure a fast and safe exit, and do your settings, then IMMEDIATELY close the program and open it again, it should load the settings. And even if you have the issue again, it should return to this point... Please check and let us know if this helps...

Worked fine it seems I tested that and made my computer sleep etc. Though this is only a stop gap mesure as it if my share changes a lot I'll have the same issue again (I cycle stuff through my shares, not to mention when I download non hub files). Which is why among other reason I just don't let my laptop sleep lol.

Well, generally for new parts I've read that it is better for them to run and run, only a screen-saver or setting to turn off the monitor is reasonable. A HDD for example wears much more from spin ups than from constant rotation.

Well, generally for new parts I've read that it is better for them to run and run, only a screen-saver or setting to turn off the monitor is reasonable. A HDD for example wears much more from spin ups than from constant rotation.

/off

I know but being a laptop I have to be careful with cooling issues too. But as a general rule I don't shut it off unless Im' between locations.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0