almiteycow

Public Development Starting

43 posts in this topic

It doesn't work that way, for example, an car engine has parts that fit OTHER cars, an MS product fits ONLY an MS product.

Even if this happens it should be because the car engines are produced by a powerful multinational companies, like MS.

F. ex. how can you judge me for my car parts not fitting in your car model, if I am stating that my car is 10 times better because of using such parts, and you can't prove it is not better? :D

Well you CAN prove that MS products are NOT the best, it has been done many times. My Linux box never crashs and hasn't done for years, the MS one constantly messes itself up (best I ever got from a windows machines for 2 months uptime, yet I have had 8 months a linux box, and it only shut down because a PSU failed).

So yes, as much as your argument may be valid, in the context that MS software is flawless, but it's far from it, also, they are one of the richest co's in the world and simply choose to make things uncompatible to make even more money....

Well you CAN prove that MS products are NOT the best, it has been done many times. My Linux box never crashs and hasn't done for years, the MS one constantly messes itself up (best I ever got from a windows machines for 2 months uptime, yet I have had 8 months a linux box, and it only shut down because a PSU failed).

So yes, as much as your argument may be valid, in the context that MS software is flawless, but it's far from it, also, they are one of the richest co's in the world and simply choose to make things uncompatible to make even more money....

Yes Satan, agreed basically. The point is that MS always can say in court "it happens bacause..." . And to wash their hands, they sure can produce a good-for nothing OS and say: "See, this one is compatible, as you wanted. Go enjoy the crashes."

It's like with a swindler, who takes some money with the promise to return them 2 x in 2 months. Well, at the end money are gone, and he says in court: "Well, I was planning to start such and such business... BUT...". At least happened here in Bulgaria and many people lost their savings ("Lifechoice" pyramid of Michael Kapustin and others). It is probably our (defective) court system, like with many things.

// I feel how we are going offtopic.

Ok, I see your point also, let's leave it at that, the point is however, if other's people can make OS's that work with other apps, why cant ms? :D

however, if other's people can make OS's that work with other apps, why cant ms? :D

it's not Microsoft's problem. It's Linux who doesn't support Win32 API and therefore a lot of application don't work there.

it's not Microsoft's problem. It's Linux who doesn't support Win32 API and therefore a lot of application don't work there.

Yes because MS won't give them the code to make it work :D

I would make client part to compile in Linux, but windows part? uhmm... no!

and btw time to realize MS Windows is the future and Linux is dying :D

i got one thing to say about that and that is LOL

Vista + Paladium = one big ass rootkit

the future is linux perhaps not in the direct connect world but in server and novice users world since information is free and most stuff that is developed for linux is GPL there fore free aswell and free is always nice

ermm, sorry but we are following situation:

when did the Linux come to the world? before 20 years? maybe... and every Linux user said "Linux will win as OS and everyone will use it". Now in 2008, the Linux users say still the same sentence and for that long time (maybe 20 years) Linux got only very small percent of usage on desktop PCs.

(Server PCs is different story, because this application isn't for servers but for workstations)

belive it or not but i'll give a chance for ReactOS to take a nice piece of m$ cake in future. afaik it's the only one os developed in this way - to be compatibile with NT, and it's open sauce :D

and by react os, linux will be a huge step closer to support winapi (which sux imo, we need sometimes to use really dirty hacks to make sth working)

DC protocol specification you post is not the real specification. It's just because no specification for DC protocol exist. So we can't talk about compatibility with DC specification.

Yes it is the real specification. How could have the hub and client coders ever been able to code new DC software, if there hadn't been any specification. The specification defines the protocol.

True; it was not an open specification by the author of DC, but it was reverse engineered afterwards.

True; it is not a real standard, but more like a de-facto standard.

DC compatibility means that the client is able to connect to DC hubs and is able to cooperate with clients in there. And I have no problem with DC++ (and its mods).

Right, and to be able to co-operate, a certain protocol has to be followed. Definitively a single client programmer (the author of DC++) should not have broken the DC compatibility with other clients. I just wonder when he's going to remove the capability to connect to DC hubs. He's going for ADC...

Version 1.4.1

Last Update 11/29/03

^^ dead fish in the water

It's the original protocol, so of course it's old. And that is good; it's stable and functional.

time to realize adc is the future and clients that doesnt fix adc is dying so i hope valknut fixes that or linuxdc++ gets the better parts of linux users

Maybe ADC is the future (maybe not), but it doesn't mean that DC as such should be killed. They can co-exist.

ermm, sorry but we are following situation:

when did the Linux come to the world? before 20 years? maybe... and every Linux user said "Linux will win as OS and everyone will use it". Now in 2008, the Linux users say still the same sentence and for that long time (maybe 20 years) Linux got only very small percent of usage on desktop PCs.

(Server PCs is different story, because this application isn't for servers but for workstations)

more and more user gets tired of M$ bull**** everyday vista is one big ass rootkit i wouldnt recommend it to any user even if my life depended on it

due to the fact that it got paladium (if u dont know what this is google it cause i aint gonna explain it)

in a sience that linux is the free choice and open choice is what ppl respect and more and more ppl are using ubuntu each day so no linux is a force to be reconed with it aint dead

as for the nmdc commend

i got two words for that user

its over

Edited by Toast

Can we reframe from the whole Linux vs Windows, we've heard it many times. Stick to the topic :)

Can we reframe from the whole Linux vs Windows, we've heard it many times. Stick to the topic :)

geez.. I've lost you guys.. It all started as a topic for a linux client development, then switched to ms vs lin fight, then again switched to "is it or is it not coded by dc standard"..

focus on the topic please :) and is there any download link for any of those betas? :)

geez.. I've lost you guys.. It all started as a topic for a linux client development, then switched to ms vs lin fight, then again switched to "is it or is it not coded by dc standard"..

focus on the topic please :P and is there any download link for any of those betas? :)

There are no public betas available unfortunately. :)