Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TYRRAM

ok I have another question now about linux

20 posts in this topic

which file from the live cd do I use to install knoppix 5.1 on my comps HD or do I have to get a different dload. I have 2 HDs on my other comp and i wanna instal knoppix on 1 and leave windows on the other then i can just change the boot order when i wanna switch back and forth that should be fine eh ?? Is there such a thing as an .exe file i can dload and install from boot cd to install knoppix ?? and another question is kubuntu for kids ?? THX for all the help TYRRAM

Just boot from the live CD ad you will use linux without installing it.There are some live cds that offer install.So configure your boot order from your bios, put the cd in, restart your PC and you will have a live distro running :)

PS: Dude, there's a lot of info on the net, make a Google search and you will find everything you need.

If you ask the right questions you will get the right answers.

Edited by ifmn

k man I just post here after I google and after I read everything and after I try to do it on my own and I just post here and ask questions for fun. Its just something to do while Im at work. I really do appriciate all the help too. I have no shame about asking questions I think the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

Just boot from the live CD ad you will use linux without installing it.There are some live cds that offer install.So configure your boot order from your bios, put the cd in, restart your PC and you will have a live distro running :)

PS: Dude, there's a lot of info on the net, make a Google search and you will find everything you need.

If you ask the right questions you will get the right answers.

If you give bad answers, you will get worse questions back.

Yeah, that's right. Using the Win PE technology you can boot Windows from CD. When done, feel free to send me your HDDs, HDDs are just a crap, which is put into the PC to make it more heavy and power-consuming.

Read: Dude, PLS try to think a little bit before posting! :P Tyrram may have various reasons to avoid the use of live Linux, mainly lower response time & resource usage. The perfect answer is not always "Do what you know already", esp. for a person who wants to get new knowledge. I wonder how you did not recommended cracking the case and cable swithing for each OS change.

On the topic... Tyrram, I do not know much about Linux, but imo you need a boot manager for the stuff. Actually you can modify the boot.ini with text editor, but I would not do it, it is too dangerous. So check Google for "Boot manager" and I am sure you will find a solution.

P. S. Sorry ifmn, forgot to use PM. :P

If you give bad answers, you will get worse questions back.

Yeah, that's right. Using the Win PE technology you can boot Windows from CD. When done, feel free to send me your HDDs, HDDs are just a crap, which is put into the PC to make it more heavy and power-consuming.

Read: Dude, PLS try to think a little bit before posting! :P Tyrram may have various reasons to avoid the use of live Linux, mainly lower response time & resource usage. The perfect answer is not always "Do what you know already", esp. for a person who wants to get new knowledge. I wonder how you did not recommended cracking the case and cable swithing for each OS change.

On the topic... Tyrram, I do not know much about Linux, but imo you need a boot manager for the stuff. Actually you can modify the boot.ini with text editor, but I would not do it, it is too dangerous. So check Google for "Boot manager" and I am sure you will find a solution.

P. S. Sorry ifmn, forgot to use PM. :P

thx bud and yes I will find an answer I always do !!

@TYRRAM - I didn't say asking questions is bad.Sorry if I offended you by some way.It's good that you are curious about linux and stuff.So about linux: If you are going to install linux on a second drive i would recommend you to unplug your win drive so your win boot loader is preserved.That way to switch between OS-es you need only to change your BIOS config.The other way is to let linux install its GRUB(boot loader) on both drives and select your OS when asked.

So, I'll extend my post - You have live distro, if the live distro has install feature you will be able to install knoppix directly from it, if it doesnt - (*) you need to download and burn the install cd/dvd (the same way as you burned you live cd).

(*)I dont know about 'upgrading' live cd to install cd, but who knows - impossible is nothing :)

Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE.

@Zlo:The questions stuff was for Google and search engines :P not for TYRRAM - if you make the right search query google you give you the results you want.Also i mean the live cd/install cd/dvd, sorry for mis-writing it - i am not recommending him to use live distro, i think i explained the basics about the installation of linux- he needs to boot from the live cd/install cd/dvd and install the distro.No exe's needed.There are FAQs and manuals at the distro's site for further instruction - if I had more time, i would give you links...

PS:Zlo, I don't like thinking :P Thinking kills brain cells :)

PPS: sorry again, i writed #2 post for 1 minute...

Erm, now this answer is better. :P

Thinking develops brain cells, according to science researches. Even if you are right, thinking is like war - men die, but if they do not, you end with your country 100% f* up. If they do die, there is a chance for victory. And although it is ugly, war is happens so often that it seems necessary. :P And many inventions are done during war, and much thinking put exactly then. >>Thinking is a necessary evil. Blah, enogh bs. :)

/off

Don't believe scientists - they are part of a secret world conspiracy so they tell you to think and get dumper so they are smarter and they take over the world :P

I was kidding :P

Edited by ifmn

OK THX guys thats a really good idea to unhook the drive I dont want the linux to go on the idea was suggested by zlobomir the other day but i didnt catch it till I read ifmm's post it never occured to me to do that. I think ill do that tonight when i get home from work I'm pretty sure there an install file on the live disk some where but what knoppix would call it Im not sure. theres actually a bigger difference between windows and knoppix then I thought there would be Its like translating from russian to english. oh and what does KDE mean ?? and yes I will google it. hahahahahaha

Hey this linux stuff is really cool how many are there ?? I came across one called damn small linux 3.3 and its really cool its only 58mb large and when its running it only uses 21mb of ram. I found out about the kde and its ok but I've downloaded 3 or 4 different distros last night one is called backtrack 1.0 and thats really sleek. Anyway its gonna take me a while to figure out which one I like best and I wanna figure that out before I install any one on my HDD. It may end up to be like dc++ changing to a new one every 3-4 months. anyways thx for all the help just when I was getting bored with comps. What clients can I use in these linux ?? I wonder if the 0.5.0.211 test im usin would work ??

I suggest you try Ubuntu if you are new to Linux. May be worth just using install.exe (check Ubuntu wiki) to install it, rather than changing partitions etc.. ApexDC++ will not work natively/well under Linux. You will need to use WINE or possible run Windows within Linux (using either VMware or QUEMU etc..) [google to find out more about VMware, WINE etc.].

The only client worth using in Linux is LinuxDC++. Other than that, I'd run Apex or something in WINE (remember to disable balloon popups/tooltips and progress bars). Just about all versions so far should work in WINE; well, I haven't had too many problems at least.

Seriously, try just regular Ubuntu though. It's a great one to start using until you get advanced skills. Well, even still, I'd consider myself slightly knowledgable about Linux and I still use it, just because it plain works out of the box and is easy, since I don't have much time to play around with stuff.

Other distros to try: Slackware, Gentoo, ArchLinux, Fedora, Debian all have their strong and weak points. There's more too that you'll find out about as well.

Other OSes to try: FreeBSD, it's bitchin'

hey whats with this wine thing do i burn it the same as i burned the linux and boot it from cd ?? any info would be great.

hey whats with this wine thing do i burn it the same as i burned the linux and boot it from cd ?? any info would be great.

After you've installed Linux you then install WINE. Preferably install Ubuntu then you can add it fairly easily... maybe just apt -get WINE in the console, not sure... not used Linux in going on a year now so not exactly sure on much. Hopefully Feisty Fawn will work better with my motherboard when it comes out in April. :)

There's a menu (maybe called system?), then you go to Install Software, easy way to install stuff. I'm not all that sure WINE is in the repositories though. You may have to add them. Just do a quick google search, like "How to install WINE on ubuntu" and you'll find exactly what you need.

After you've installed Linux you then install WINE. Preferably install Ubuntu then you can add it fairly easily... maybe just apt -get WINE in the console, not sure... not used Linux in going on a year now so not exactly sure on much. Hopefully Feisty Fawn will work better with my motherboard when it comes out in April. :)

WTF is fiesty fawn ??

There's a menu (maybe called system?), then you go to Install Software, easy way to install stuff. I'm not all that sure WINE is in the repositories though. You may have to add them. Just do a quick google search, like "How to install WINE on ubuntu" and you'll find exactly what you need.

Well looks like I need to install linux before wine and Im getting cold feet on linux Im scared to lose windows cause I donno how to fix linux if I f*** up so Im gonna take a little time put a small (12GB) HDD in my comp unplug other HDD with windows on it the and install linux there and change the boot order accordingly. would that work ?? I dont know how to partition 1 HDD for 2 OS and Ive heard that the linux setup can confuse u then u end up wiping everything and I cant afford for that to happen. would doing it this way work ok ??

WTF is fiesty fawn ??

Well looks like I need to install linux before wine and Im getting cold feet on linux Im scared to lose windows cause I donno how to fix linux if I f*** up so Im gonna take a little time put a small (12GB) HDD in my comp unplug other HDD with windows on it the and install linux there and change the boot order accordingly. would that work ?? I dont know how to partition 1 HDD for 2 OS and Ive heard that the linux setup can confuse u then u end up wiping everything and I cant afford for that to happen. would doing it this way work ok ??

Firstly, Feisty Fawn is going to be the next Ubuntu release, currently scheduled for release on 19 April 2007.

Secondly, forsimilicity as I have said before, I strongly suggest you use install.exe. (Click here for further information.)

K I got xubuntu 6.10 installed and I'm threatening to install wine eventhough I dont know the benifits. I have it all installed on my other comp, man its nice to have 3 comps that way I can totally screw up and not have to worry about ruining the one I use. THX, to all who gave me info right now I'm just learning to navigate linux, Its really not that hard to get onto. I think I may put another small HDD on my comp and install xubuntu 6.10 on there then just change the boot order accordingly. I was actually hoping to use knoppix 5.1 but there is no way to install it from the iso disc, no way i can find anyway ? perhaps you have to download an install.exe. One thing I really like is all the progs you can install from the internet the comp I have it on is not connected but its good to know all that stuff is there, should be lots of fun. There is a regular version of dc++ for linux (by regular I mean non-segmented) Why would I need wine to run dc++ ?? What exactly is wine good for ??

Hm, before an year or two I ran quite successfully the Anaconda graphical installer, if I am not mistaking... until the point it went to 800x600 at the very beginning... and my second monitor was a crappy... crap then. You may google for "Anaconda +installer".

As for WINE, it is good for running Windows appz on Linux. And this is apparently good because the equivalent Linux appz are not so good. Especially as we know ApexDC++, there is no point to discuss why. :blink:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0