H2K_xXx

ApexDC IS running under Wine (Linux)!

21 posts in this topic

Hi!

As the topic says, i've got ApexDC 0.4 running under Wine since the last Wine-update (0.9.31). There are only a few "bugs".

- you can't use the checkboxes in "Settings" (edit the settings.xml manually)

- the tooltips are broken

all the other things are working (as i tested it)

BUT: I' looking forward to have a REAL Linux-ApexDC ;)

so long, hf

H2K-xXx

greetings from Germany

Likerova likes this

As a lamer, I would just try to fix the small bugs, wrap ApexDC++ in WINE and try to start WINE as hidden service before Apex... if Linux has services at all. ;)

It's been working in WINE for a while, as far as I'm aware. You just had to disable tooltips and progressbars.

I believe there's a way to compile windows programs against the WINE libraries, so it doesn't need to run WINE before the program runs, but I feel this is not a direction I'd like to go. The better idea would be to make a proper native client.

hi, i try to use apexdc and wine but, when i connect to my hub, its ok, when i hide share and connect to my friends hub i get this error almost immedietly...

Code: c0000005 (Access violation)

Version: 1.0.0B2 (2007-04-10)

Major: 5

Minor: 2

Build: 3790

SP: 1

Type: 3

Time: 2007-04-27 08:10:14

TTH: CWLBR24QOCVAJHKKX2A6KQORSW4IRCWPJH36EYA

ole32!0x7E87A8F0: OleSetContainedObject

apexdc!0x004463D3: ?

apexdc!0x0040F328: ?

apexdc!0x004398E6: ?

apexdc!0x00437947: ?

apexdc!0x0043211F: ?

apexdc!0x00421364: ?

user32!0x7EBDC64A: WINPROC_wrapper

user32!0x7EBDCD7E: ?

user32!0x7EBE1E43: CallWindowProcW

user32!0x7EBA9B6B: DispatchMessageW

don t know what am i doing wrong... if you know, please let me know.)

thx

hmm looks like some emoticons problem... why isnt there an option to turn off emoticons?

i tried to edit *xml files in folder EmoPacks, so there all pathes to the icons are deleted, hope this will solve it.)

Right click at the emo icon (right of the msg box) and click disabled. Other way is to delete emos from apex's folder.

There were two things afaicr, tooltips and progress bars should be off.

There were two things afaicr, tooltips and progress bars should be off.

hmm it looks like it was something with emoticons.. but its still too much unstable, even if theese two are turned off./

hi there...

guys i think i need some help using ApexDC with Wine,,,i disabled progress bars and disabled emoticons during installation ...and every thing works fine connecting to hubs adding hubs private and public chats ..BUT the most important thing is "I CAN'T download " and no search results all i get when i try to get user's files connecting connecting finally connection timeout thought i'm sure connections settings are ok. i even disabled Firestarter (it's a Linux firewall ) also i tried some Linux DC++ native client and every things works as it should do.

any suggestions ??

It was Firestater problem in connection... and i managed to deal with it now every thing is fine

Thanx guys =)

but i would like to stress on something i experienced while using Apex 0.4.0 : (under Wine 0.9.56 ,0.9.57 ,0.9.58 and 0.9.59)

Setting up on a Winows format (NTFS or FAT32) causes unstable and unusual behavior ,like in segmented downloading getting a message from some users "path to file not found" and things like that

and after changing the download and uncompleted files folders (and the installation files) to .ext3 every thing worked well including the segmented dl....

It was Firestater problem in connection... and i managed to deal with it now every thing is fine

Thanx guys =)

but i would like to stress on something i experienced while using Apex 0.4.0 : (under Wine 0.9.56 ,0.9.57 ,0.9.58 and 0.9.59)

Setting up on a Winows format (NTFS or FAT32) causes unstable and unusual behavior ,like in segmented downloading getting a message from some users "path to file not found" and things like that

and after changing the download and uncompleted files folders (and the installation files) to .ext3 every thing worked well including the segmented dl....

Can you please check SDC++ 2.12 and native DC++ 0.705 under same conditions (NTFS and FAT32) and report feedback? Thanks in advance.

Which Linux kernal are you using?

None of them fully support linux, some are better than others. But mostly, anything NTFS under linux will cause problems.

Which Linux kernal are you using?

None of them fully support linux, some are better than others. But mostly, anything NTFS under linux will cause problems.

Unfortunately I recently have made up a report about NTFS (basically a Wiki translation :thumbsup: ), and I know there are drivers for safe read/write of NTFS under Linux. So why (the h*ll) it should cause problems...

Hey,

i'am also trying to emulate Apex under Wine.

I read some posts and installed Apex without emoticons, turned of the progressbars, an nearly everthing that i found in the Apex Settings :thumbsup:

I can start Apex and connect to my hubs.

But when I start a download oder somebody starts an upload, Apex crashes with the following exception:

Code: c0000005 (Access violation)

Version: 0.4.0 (2006-12-24)

Major: 5

Minor: 1

Build: 2600

SP: 2

Type: 1

Time: 2008-04-26 15:23:59

TTH: YBP45KNMY2PE64J2ZH7A77UJFMDBI4A4FN657VI

apexdc!0x0049A0A2: ?

apexdc!0x004490DF: ?

apexdc!0x0042B4B3: ?

user32!0x7ED656AA: WINPROC_wrapper

user32!0x7ED65E0B: ?

user32!0x7ED6AC83: CallWindowProcW

user32!0x7ED33B40: ?

user32!0x7ED38192: SendMessageTimeoutW

user32!0x7ED381FC: SendMessageW

comctl32!0x7E84996D: ?

comctl32!0x7E85033C: ?

comctl32!0x7E8533A0: ?

comctl32!0x7E85AA82: ?

comctl32!0x7E85C68D: ?

apexdc!0x0042B4D4: ?

user32!0x7ED34038: DispatchMessageW

apexdc!0x0044830A: ?

I also read about turning of the tooltips but couldn't find an option to turn of these.

My Wine-Log contains this information:

Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.

fixme:commctrl:InitCommonControlsEx Unknown class! dwICC=0x4000

err:toolbar:TOOLBAR_GetImageListForDrawing bitmap for ID 0, index 0 is not valid, number of bitmaps in imagelist: 0

err:toolbar:TOOLBAR_GetImageListForDrawing bitmap for ID 0, index 0 is not valid, number of bitmaps in imagelist: 0

fixme:icon:DrawIconEx Ignoring flag DI_COMPAT

Can you explain me what I did wrong?

Thanks

Max

Hey,

i'am also trying to emulate Apex under Wine.

I read some posts and installed Apex without emoticons, turned of the progressbars, an nearly everthing that i found in the Apex Settings :thumbsup:

I can start Apex and connect to my hubs.

But when I start a download oder somebody starts an upload, Apex crashes with the following exception:

I also read about turning of the tooltips but couldn't find an option to turn of these.

My Wine-Log contains this information:

Can you explain me what I did wrong?

Thanks

Max

Which version of ApexDC++ are you using? We don't officially support WINE at all, but 0.4 happens to work under it. If you're using a more recent version then it's quite possible it just doesn't work under WINE. There's not much we can really do about it, if that's the case, to be honest.

Still, look in Settings, there is a whole section for disabling popups. But unfortunately, I do not have Apex now.

I got ApexDC 1.2.1 working under wine 1.0.1

It looks like s**t and the progress bars are not refreshing unless I click them or they change (new downloads/uploads).

Other than that it's not so bad, I'm wondering how long it will work before it crash, or maybe I get to be lucky and it wont crash. :)

Oh and I had problems with cyrillic encoding, but that's normal with wine, you have to run it with LANG=bg_BG.UTF-8 (for Bulgarians) and the encoding will work properly.

With all those problems I still like it more than LinuxDCpp, I just hope that it wont crash to much :)

i just updated to wine 1.2 build in package.

seems like its running.

if you dont hear from me it probally running..

peace

again apex or strongdc isnt meant to be running under wine since some parts of the code is windows specific (limiter)

way better to choose a native client for linux like jucy or linuxdc++ regular dcpp is probly possible to run under wine without problem might even be able to cross compile.

Again its nothing new that apex launches under wine but it isnt really a bright idea to run it there since there isnt any handlers for pulseevent thats used in the limiter along with other things :)

Edited by Toast