Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dagoburd

Universal Smilies .. or something like that.

7 posts in this topic

In the present situation there are 20 or 30 emo packs on apex site and probbably 100 other .. and if apex user is using for example skype emoticons and \the user with who he is talking is using nerdcore emoticons, and he writes emoticon, the apex user with skype emoticons will see only for example :angel and not the real emoticon, and only text because in skype emoticons the angel icon is (angel).So my idea is to have a list with all the widespread emoticons and there meaning .. i mean the emoticon icons have relative meanings, yes ? so my idea is for apex, to have a list of all those emoticons, their graphic meaning (in skype (angel) in nerdcore :angel:) and automatically to display the appropriate icon for the users emo pack.

P.S. Sorry if you couldn't undetsrand anything, but i have never been good in explaining things .. but i can answer questions, so ask is something from my request is not clear :)

It is a very good idea, but it will be a living hell to make and, mainly update this list. And the size may be significant too... However I am for it, if possible.

Emoticons -- I'm hate it (but in most cases forget to disable) coz they break text and concentrate perception on them.

Replaceble emoticons -- good idea, coz some peoples want see another em-ns... If they want -- they can. But em-cons codes everywhere identical. Also you can make little one-letter-size em-ns.

Customizable emoticons -- bad idea! Coz in every pack used unique em-codes! And we in this stupid condition...

How to resolve problem? Exist tree ways!

1. Limit number of emoticons and HARDCODE em-codes for them... Oh! I'm already hear cry of peoples who like em-s with angels, dogs and other useless stuff.

2. Create some standards for giving names for em-codes and make list of regular em-codes... AND if em-pack don't use standard naming and have em-codes not from list -- FORBID loading this pack! If author of pack want add new em-n they should say "please add this new stupid em-code to the list"... (and those, who manage this list should say "No! It's crap!") Right... this way maybe impossible. :)

3. Include em-ns into message and send message with imagefile... But this way -- really stupid way.

And don't try make uni-em-pack... coz in next new em-pack some stupid guy place new em-code!

I have made suggestions in relation to emoticons in the past I believe, which could be achieved mostly with the existing method of emoticons. However, even if my suggestions were to be implemented, emoticon packs are not usually included in updates as far as I'm aware... Pointless having these emoticon pakcs etc. if other people don't have them.

Many users regularly use different IM programs (Instant Messaging) on a daily basis. So why not add a check box or a drop-down (like when you choose the language) when you install the program, asking you which smiley pack you'd like to use ?

* None (Default)

* Yahoo!

* MSN

* Trilian

* Forum style (Not recommended)

I think it's a nice ideea, more user-orientated and more user-friendly.

You should include this feature in the v1.0 final.

You forgot Skype, Miranda, QIP... will we ever stop in this way? :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0