Aztek

Passive Selected by default

Question   13 members have voted

1. 1. What option should be default ?

• Direct Connection
    • Firewall With UPnP
    • Firewall With Manual Port Forwarding
    • Firewalled (Passive)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

its a simple request,

i hate having new users ask "why cant i connect or search ?????"

plz :)

It was considered, but we decided against the idea. It would make a larger number of hubs have passive users, meaning that passive-to-passive transfers more frequent, and annoying.

It was considered, but we decided against the idea. It would make a larger number of hubs have passive users, meaning that passive-to-passive transfers more frequent, and annoying.

ehhh... Lee there is no such thing as passive to passive transfers in DC (not afaik anyways) but still this option remains defaulted to what it is now, no point of discussing about this.

i asked because the default setting doesnt work for anyone, and for "newbs" thats hard to understand sometimes :)

just tell them that the settings dialog is opened at the initial startup for a reason :)

Well, I am for anything but not Passive by default. There was a topic quite long ago with enough arguments. Actually, you know what? F. ex. I am in Active mode, I can get everything and you go to Passive mode and get... lost. :)

ehhh... Lee there is no such thing as passive to passive transfers in DC (not afaik anyways) but still this option remains defaulted to what it is now, no point of discussing about this.

Yeah, I meant passive-to-active mode transfers only.

Many users don't even have to configure anything (f.e in lan environments) so I am for Direct connection

I think it should be determined by some algorithm in the future... but I'm against stetting passive by default - since it should be used as a last resolve.

Since in utorrent "enable UPnP port mapping" is optional checkbox - but even if it's not needed ut will work properly, so maybe same can be done in (Apex)DC++? That is:

Leaving only 2 choices (radio box) - passive and active (less choices for simple organism such as user)

checkbox for "enable UPnP port mapping" like in ut - optional for active

checkbox for "randomize port" - optional for active

default = active + upnp + randomize port(?)