Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TYRRAM

apex for linux

29 posts in this topic

You know i would love to try out apex in linux but i cant figure out how to burn an iso cd to run linux off of I also cant figure out any way to install linux is it just me or is linux designed to not be used by pretty much everyone ?? I have a better working knowledge of copmputers then the average person but this just escapes me ive followed spacific directions a number of times to no avail. Ive tried several different versions of linx can someone help me out. Give me easy to folloe step by step idiot proof instructions for burning a live iso linux cd with nero 6 it cant be that hard I have knoppix 5 and xubuntu 6. If i had linux i would gladly spend some time using apex with it just to see how it works. ps I know how to use linux ive used it before i just cant figure out how to burn it or install it.

Why do you need live disto if you have knoppix 5 and xubutu 6 ? About the live cd burning - burn the live cd/dvd image using nero or some other burner program (f.e in nero you choose Backup/Burn image to disc )

Edited by Greg

Topics merged/edited/deleted...

I think balder has provided you with what info you might require to get Ubuntu (xubuntu) working. Have to say I prefer the xfce desktop enviroment myself. ;) However, maybe you should try install.exe? Might be a bit easier for you.

I'm not one to discourage a potential linux user, but I just wanted to throw this in. Using ApexDC in linux is pretty much the same as windows at the moment. It has to be... translated (emulated) by WINE at the moment, and for it to work well, you have to disable tooltips and progress bars. Other than that, it should be close to exactly the same. This will (hopefully) change very soon though.

I do encourage you to check out linux though and Ubuntu is a great way to start using it.

ok ppl, thx so much for all the help and directions but Im still having troubles Ive read all the directions and still cant get the damd thing burned because no where does it say WHICH file to burn as an iso. I'm using xubuntu 6.10 thats what I have I just need to know EXACTLY which file to burn to make the boot disc ?? pls help p.s someone mentioned an .exe install that would be alot easier for me where can I get that and if I install that would it replace window ?? but eventhough I asked the second question that doesnt mean I dont want an answer to the first. Which file do i burn ?? and thx again for all the help I really appriciate it.

I'm using xubuntu 6.10 thats what I have I just need to know EXACTLY which file to burn to make the boot disc ?? pls help
This is the file you need for xubuntu

p.s someone mentioned an .exe install that would be alot easier for me where can I get that

Ok i belive this is the file. Perhaps greg can let you know if it is not. fyi good find greg, ubuntu just keeps getting easier and easier.

if I install that would it replace window ??

no windows will remain on your system. however there is probably an option to remove it

I burned a Gentoo image, but when PC tries to boot it freezes, KB not responsive.

File: install-ppc-universal-2006.1.iso

Way: Load boot image... in Magic ISO

ok i got the xubutu zip folder from that link now which file within the zip do i burn or do i just burn the whole thing ?? TYRRAM

The file you most likely want ends in .ISO. Burn this using a program like Nero (or other program) following balder's linked instructions above.

ok i got the xubutu zip folder
the file i linked to should have been an iso not a zip http://ubuntu-cdimage.datahop.it/xubuntu/r...esktop-i386.iso

Zlobomir gentoo is not for the faint harted. however if you wish to continue on you will probably need the x86 not the ppc version, ppc is for risk architecture such as mac (pre intel).

if you dont already have a version of linux installed you will probably find it easiest to use

The live cd.

The handbook

You will also need the following if you are going to do a networkless install

portage-latest (md5 check sum)

Stage 3 (md5 check sum)

hope that helps

That might help, but for now it just made me quit. :) Anyway, thank you, I appreciate your attention. I needed some Linux to try Verli hub, but not urgently.

the file i linked to should have been an iso not a zip http://ubuntu-cdimage.datahop.it/xubuntu/r...esktop-i386.iso

Zlobomir gentoo is not for the faint harted. however if you wish to continue on you will probably need the x86 not the ppc version, ppc is for risk architecture such as mac (pre intel).

if you dont already have a version of linux installed you will probably find it easiest to use

The live cd.

The handbook

You will also need the following if you are going to do a networkless install

portage-latest (md5 check sum)

Stage 3 (md5 check sum)

i386

hope that helps

that link gets me an iso zip xubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386 and its a winrar sry i9m gonna waste one more cd and try burning the iso actually ill use a RW and see

I told you to use RW in a PM message @ TGO. :)

ok listen, Ive read all the directions Ive downloaded 15 different linux xubuntu 6.10, xubuntu 6.10 desktop i386, livecd i686 installer, knoppix 5.1, ect,ect. I am now downloading xubuntu 6.10 alternate amd 64 iso. Ive burned 3 different cd this morning alone. Ive gone to all the right sites to download the files I have all the right downloads. Ive downloaded infrarecorder and tried that 3 times but none of the directions or anything else for that matter tells me exactly WHICH FILE to burn or which file to install. i just keep trying different files different combinations of files and folders Ive tried files named boot Ive tried files named iso ive tried folders named linuxiso etc,etc, most of the files I download are winrar and i can burn any file or files within the folders as bootable data disc but ive been told not to bother doing that I need to (burn image to disk) and thats fine i can do that but it wont let me burn whole folders only files within the folder it says open until you get down to the individual files then you can burn one and only one of those files as a disc image if i do the data disc i can burn whole folders anything i want, but with image i can only burn one file so i ask yet again WHICH FILE DO I BURN ?? pls someone take a look inside xubuntu 6.10 or the i386 or whatever and tell me exactly where i need to look and which file need to burned. pls sry if i sound frusterated but i am that doesnt mean i dont appriciate the help. TYRRAM

You don't unrar it. The files you're downloading are CD iso images, you just have them set to open in winrar. ISOs are like snapshots of a CD.

Right click the file, Open with -> choose application -> Nero, or whatever burning utility you have should do the trick.

You most likely don't want the xubuntu 6.10 alternate amd 64 iso. You want the 6.10 desktop i386 version, more than likely.

Lookie: http://www.weethet.nl/english/cdrw_usingnero_iso.php

That'll work, if my other suggestion doesn't.

Edited by almiteycow

Im not having problems burning the files I DONT KNOW WHICH FILE TO BURN one guy today told me to download this linux from this site so i did and he told me to burn the iso file that is 675 MB well there is no 675 MB iso file. and thats the second time that has happened. I decided to mess around with linux 2 weeks ago and since then I havent even seen it yet. I think maybe im downloading the wrong things I am downloading whole linux programs not iso files. And within those downloads I dont know which iso files to burn and the ones i do dont work. Every linux site is convoluted and overcomplicated. The burned **** i did get to do anything is knoppix 5.1 on one comp it says no dos loaded or something like that and the other comp goes through a bunch of **** then ends at a drdos command prompt and ive no idea what to type in. so ive busted all my linux cds ive deleted all my linux files and I am completely sick of linux and ive not even used it yet. If any one has IDIOT PROOF instuctions that will just tell me WHICH FILE to burn and where to get that file Ill try once more if not i give up.

@TYR: If you have installed WinISO, Ultra ISO, Magic ISO or similar, it would replace the Winrar association for *.iso files. And it is not too late, when I click on almitey's link, I get a box with a proposition to open in Magic ISO Maker.

ok thx ill give it one more try, Im pretty sure ive been downloading the wrong things. Does anyone know why i would get a drdos command prompt on 1 comp and no dos loaded on a 2nd when i put the cd with knoppix 5.1 on it wouldnt that mean i did something right with burning that cd but now either of my comps are responding properly ?? on the 2nd comp ive added a fat32 partion on a seperate HD (seperate from the one with windows) in preparation for install of linux when I decide to. is this ok ?? I may as well just install it on this partition if it isnt going to wipe out windows xp ??

and for almiteycow I just reread one of your posts and it said I dont UNRAR the files do you mean that I dont extract the files from the winrar folder I just burn the download as is without extracting the files ?? pls clearify. thx

I'd delete the fat32 partition if it's empty, and just leave it unpartitioned for now. The installer will see the unpartitioned space and give you an option to install it there (and not touch the windows partition).

As for the DR DOS thing, it sounds like you're trying to burn a bootable data cd maybe?

nope all I get is a blank page and a download box to open or save winrar file

yep I did at one point burn a knoppix bootable data disk so that the dos thing then does that apply to both comps ?? And what i get when i download that i386 iso file thing is a huge winrar download and i cant figure out which file within the download to burn. I know as with almost all comp probs I run into its some stupid little thing we are all overlooking. personally though its driving me nuts.

Better wait for more detailed answer, but yes, it is quite easy to loose data during Linux install. One of my friens lost all his music in this way, and he is in no way a lamer, even compiles his own DC++ client. Maybe he will even read this. ;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0