WIZ278

My favorite Hub & user list has been deleted

15 posts in this topic

post-3936-1171113058_thumb.jpg

Being relativly new to ApexDc++ (I have used DC++ for over 5 yeas)i had no idea that clicking the Clear button to remove records of recently accessed documents,programs and web sites, would delete all my favorite Hub & user lists.

The recently accessed records use memory so from time to time i clear the lists.(eg the list under documents & pictures in the start meue, the drop down list in Internet Explorer & the drop down menue for the Run facility)

Imagine my horror when i opend ApexDc++ to find my favorite Hub & user lists empy.

looked at my old DC++ prog (as i'm im the transitional period) and every things as it shold be with all Fav hub & user lists intact.

Thankfuly i can copy all my fav hub adresses from there.

I have tested & proved that all of the above is true when ApexDc++ is not running, if it is running the files remain unafected

I hope this will prevent this from hapening to anyone else & I hope some one can provide a fix.

The Button to avoid is

In win XP Right click task bar/Properties

Taskbar and start Menu Properties/Coustomise Classic Start/Clear

I am also concerned that other clean up programs may have similar efects.

We have had reports for lost Favs list *.xmls, but it was more due to abnormal program behavior at shutdown and using of End task (or smth like this AFAICR). However I personally, although sometimes forced to use the End task "utility", never had such problem...

As for your case, what is your exact installation path? I have a high doubt that Apex is installed in a "wrong" place.

We have had reports for lost Favs list *.xmls, but it was more due to abnormal program behavior at shutdown and using of End task (or smth like this AFAICR). However I personally, although sometimes forced to use the End task "utility", never had such problem...

As for your case, what is your exact installation path? I have a high doubt that Apex is installed in a "wrong" place.

ApexDC++ is installed at the default location:

"C:\Program Files\ApexDC++\ApexDC.exe"

On Win 2003 Server and Apex 0.4.0 I can't reproduce... But my path is a little weird, C:\Extra Prog\ApexDC++\ . I use such structure on most PCs I am taking care of, actually all the programs except drivers and hardware-connected utilities (CD-burning soft) stay in Extra Prog. And sorry if it seems funny, but since you have installed Apex where it should be, and using an Admin credentials/account, the problem may be in... er, Windows? You see by youself, when using Classic Start Menu all is OK. However let's wait for the dev's comments.

On Win 2003 Server and Apex 0.4.0 I can't reproduce... But my path is a little weird, C:\Extra Prog\ApexDC++\ . I use such structure on most PCs I am taking care of, actually all the programs except drivers and hardware-connected utilities (CD-burning soft) stay in Extra Prog. And sorry if it seems funny, but since you have installed Apex where it should be, and using an Admin credentials/account, the problem may be in... er, Windows? You see by youself, when using Classic Start Menu all is OK. However let's wait for the dev's comments.

I have just switched to the normal start menue in XP & tried to Duplicate the fault to no avail.

I then switched back to classic view and i can't Duplicate the fault now, yet earlier i duplicated it 3 times.

This is very strang & annoying.

I have not recently added any new software but i have rebooted the system since the problem occoured.

Possibly the reboot has cured the problem as it does for somany other problems.

i had no idea that clicking the Clear button to remove records of recently accessed documents,programs and web sites,
This must be coinsidence. clicking that button removes entries in a set of registry keys. it dosn't delete any files

This must be coinsidence. clicking that button removes entries in a set of registry keys. it dosn't delete any files

Prior to a reeboot i added a hub to my now empty favorites list and then exited Apex DC++

I then clicked the clear buton as previosly mentiond

I then ran Apex DC++ and looked in my favorites list and again found it empty

I then added a hub to my empty favorites list again and leaving Apex DC++ running but minimised i clicked the clear buton again, this time the files remained intact.

I then shut down Apex DC++ and again clicked the clear buton, after restarting Apex DC++ I looked in my favorites list and again found it empty i repeted this test Three times.

Once is a coinsidence

Twice is a dubious coinsidence

Three times is not coinsidence and should be investigated.

After rebooting the computer I repeted the tests and all the files have remaind intact.

I posted this to hope fully prevent it happening to any one else.

I would recomend that anyone planing to see if the clear button has the same effect on their PC, MAKE A BACKUP LIST of the addresses discriptions and paswords it will save allot of misery.

Q: how where and in what format are the address stored in Apex DC++?.

Prior to a reeboot i added a hub to my now empty favorites list and then exited Apex DC++

I then clicked the clear buton as previosly mentiond

I then ran Apex DC++ and looked in my favorites list and again found it empty

I then added a hub to my empty favorites list again and leaving Apex DC++ running but minimised i clicked the clear buton again, this time the files remained intact.

I then shut down Apex DC++ and again clicked the clear buton, after restarting Apex DC++ I looked in my favorites list and again found it empty i repeted this test Three times.

Once is a coinsidence

After rebooting the computer I repeted the tests and all the files have remaind intact.

I posted this to hope fully prevent it happening to any one else.

I would recomend that anyone planing to see if the clear button has the same effect on their PC, MAKE A BACKUP LIST of the addresses discriptions and paswords it will save allot of misery.

Q: how where and in what format are the address stored in Apex DC++?.

They are in ApecDC/Settings/Favourites.xml

WIZ278:

i also had this problem ... "dissappearing favorites.xml" ... and as it was mentioned before, it is present when Apex is not closed properly (for example closing it using the task manager or sg ... ) .... because when the client starts, it loads the favorites.xml and deletes it from the harddrive, to ensure that it doesn't change during the use of it ... and when you click on exit -> it'll write the file back to the hard-drive again, during the time apex runs, it'll be in the memory (as i remember, but i'm maybe wrong)

wo if you have this problem coming back ... guess the best way is to make a backup, as you said.

on my computer apex usually "freezes" without any error message :] ... so i have these kinds of backups for a long time now :stuart:

so when dc is running, check if the file is still there or not (guess it won't be there, or even if it's there, it'll be overwritten when exiting apex, and that's why the stuff in it will remain even after pressing clear button, while running apex)

Thanks bigcanuck & MiRaGe

I have now made a backup of "Favorites.xml" file

I no longer need to copy and paste the addesses discriptions and passwords.

I would recomend to all users make a backup copy of this file.

C:\Program Files\ApexDC++\Settings\Favorites.xml

Once is a coinsidence

I had not ment to arrgavate you with my comment. I had ment that pressing the clear button is a coincidence and the actual error is caused by something else. This was in an attempt to try and see if we could get to the bottom of the problem. as said the clear button clears a registry setting which is completly unrelated to apex. I gusse i cannot say it is defenetly not the cause, computeres can be wiered but it is highly unlikly to be the cause.

in the example you gave above you say

• I then shut down Apex DC++
  • clicked the clear buton,
  • restart Apex DC++
  • favs are gone

did you try to test this without pressing the clear button. if not it is much more likly that the process of shutting down and opening apex was the thing causeing the problem. Not the act of pressing the clear button. Please also note that we,i appreiciate people reporting bugs, issues or just asking for help and we will try to assist the best we can. If i gave you the impretion that i was patronising you, i appolagise that was not my intention.

I had not meant to aggravate you with my comment. I had meant that pressing the clear button is a coincidence and the actual error is caused by something else. This was in an attempt to try and see if we could get to the bottom of the problem. as said the clear button clears a registry setting which is completely unrelated to apex. I gusse i cannot say it is definitely not the cause, computeres can be wiered but it is highly unlikly to be the cause.

in the example you gave above you say

• I then shut down Apex DC++
  • clicked the clear buton,
  • restart Apex DC++
  • favs are gone

did you try to test this without pressing the clear button. if not it is much more likly that the process of shutting down and opening apex was the thing causeing the problem. Not the act of pressing the clear button. Please also note that we,i appreciate people reporting bugs, issues or just asking for help and we will try to assist the best we can. If i gave you the impression that i was patronizing you, i apologies that was not my intention.

balder sorry for being aggressive i was dischuffed at loosing my files.

yes i did try the test without pressing the clear button all my files in favs remained intact.

I also tried the same test with my old RevConnect DC++ after copying and pasting all my fav hubs addresses and descriptions to a word document as a safety precaution, i tried all the same tests and the files remained intact

after this i tested Apex DC++ again and upon clicking the clear button with Apex DC++ shut down the files were gone upon restart.

I then rebooted and since then iI have been unable to reproduce the fault.

If all the three times were before the reboot, it SHOULD be smth wrong with the OS. I know this seems to be the easiest excuse, but it seems also highly probable...

go back to the files of your old client in prog files go to setting in the files of your old client and cut and paste favorites into prog files / apex / settings.

go back to the files of your old client in prog files go to setting in the files of your old client and cut and paste favorites into prog files / apex / settings.

Yes, it works if old client is Strong DC++ 2.0+ compatible (and AFAICR for fav hubs only, if not), but you will loose any updates to the list.