Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zlobomir

Export/Import Settings

9 posts in this topic

IMHO this will be easy to be done, it will allow faster setup and will avoid newbie/user-side errors if we publish some ready xmls on the customize page. I see it as exporting/importing all the settings sections except some minor things like Fav hubs/users, Ignores, Iser Info, etc. Maybe an option to include/exclude color theme from export/import will be useful, too.

This could be usefull, but i never trust these. I always double check my settings on every application.

This could be usefull, but i never trust these. I always double check my settings on every application.

Well, say you use the export/import once, then check, and after that there is no need to check on each import. :)

True. What im saying, is this needs to be done with precision. All settings need to be saved as customized by the user, where user left blank should be saved as blank, where its full, it better be full to the letter, everything as it is. And i know this wont be as easy as is sounds.

I imagine it just like Open Settings>> Auto remove the respective hub, users section>>Save file under user-chosen name and location.

If it can't be done, sorry. :D

I would like to add : if "autoimport.xml" (or something like this) is found in ApexDC++ dir it will ask to import settings at startup (and delete file afterwards). Could be useful to build preconfigured installers (for n00b users), so there won't be need to change default settings and compile custom exe.

And it would allow user to decide if he already have his own settings to import them or not.

Also by default if "language.xml" is found, ApexDC++ would use it (it will help a lot coz first thing most users do is asking how to change their client into their own language).

Yes, and it will help (me, for example) to distribute Apex faster, since I often need to install on my friend's PCs and it is really annoying to repeat all steps at each PC, smtms even via a really slow VNC (wonder when Nullsoft will think of the same for Winamp).

I would like to add : if "autoimport.xml" (or something like this) is found in ApexDC++ dir it will ask to import settings at startup (and delete file afterwards). Could be useful to build preconfigured installers (for n00b users), so there won't be need to change default settings and compile custom exe.

And it would allow user to decide if he already have his own settings to import them or not.

Also by default if "language.xml" is found, ApexDC++ would use it (it will help a lot coz first thing most users do is asking how to change their client into their own language).

you can already provide your own settings by placing in the archive the current XML files (in which you only leave the needed lines). i don't see why you would need another file, or compiling the exe with your own options :/

In fact I can just make a mirror copy of my Apex and start deleting until no personal info is left, but I feel it is not the right way... :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0