Sagara

LAN-only mode

12 posts in this topic

There is need for IP limiting in DirectConnect clients.

Some my friends and me have ADSL connection (paid by traffic :) ) and we'd like to use DC++ only in our LAN.

Currently this is done by firewall, but as more non-exprient users get ADSL it becomes dangerous.

I know some LANs in my country use DC++ clients to chat and share files via local network.

So it would be nice if ApexDC++ has mode to connect only to 10.*.*.*, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255, and 192.168.*.* addresses.

One settings in XML and a checkbox in UI. I've created custom installer for ApexDC with my LAN's settings ('cause there are a lot of newbies), so it can be included in my installer.

Yes, you are right, but this is one side of the medal. The other is (correct me if wrong) that "paid traffic" is the worst option you can have and you should agree after you have used all other methods against your ISP. But well, if so much users are really forced to stay on traffic, we may think about such option and a guide for it. also, maybe a counter/limiter in MB/GB in Apex and a button Clear? The idea is to stop automatically when you reach your limit, but for this reason, and to be precise, Apex must have a separate module, capturing all network traffic. Which means IMHO it will be *VERY* difficult to be done.

Maybe we could offer a LAN-only client like IceDC++ does. Or within the regular client itself, that makes you only able to connecto 

ertain addresses like stated above.

It's LanDC++ (mod of IceDC++ by the same developer).

I have problems with searching there, so I stopped at ApexDC++.

Currently my LAN only starts to use DirectConnect, I've made russian-localized installer and agitate for it 'cause Windows SMB (shares) is evil.

And I want to prevent lost money. It should not happen though as only one LAN's hub is specified in my config, but who knows...

You can use the PeerGuardian Plugin to block every IP that is not in your LAN but OPs can still download - i think that if you change one thing in the source OPs wont be privileged anymore :crying:

LanDC doesn use TTH, so it's no option for me.

I'm just coming from a LAN that had DC++ File-Sharing for MODs and Levels. I had a "TTH incosistency" for about 2-3 times. A option to have a "LAN only-Mode" in ApexDC would be nice!

What are the best options for DC in LAN?

Multisource on / off

Enable safe and compressed transfers off (on uses too much CPU i think)

Number of simultanous (?) "Max Uploads" and "Max Downloads"?

Are there any other settings that can improve LAN-Speed?

Thanks in advance for the Setting-Tips

Cutting off the entire Public Hubs frame will help much IMO. :crying: And I am serious.

Cutting off the entire Public Hubs frame will help much IMO. :D And I am serious.

LAN's may wish to have their own hublists :crying: (though bit unlikely but possible)

Now I've compiled the ApexDC++ 0.4 sources, and I plan to make some modifications.

May be they will appear in the ApexDC++ sources :blink:

I want to add "minimize to tray by the Close button", "autostart", "minimize to tray on [auto]start", "delayed auto-start" (it's autostart with a pause e.g. 25 seconds before any aggresive usage of HDD, like hashing),

also to modify "Private Message" chatting - it's about opening an additional windows (some my friends can use only this "chat" style, it's implemented in SeChat, BorgChat);

to animate tray icon on private message (if apexdc window is in tray);

to play "my nick in main chat" sound on configurable list of words - because I have two nick forms - one in native alphabet, and the 2nd in Latin.

Also, of course, a checkbox for "Limit to LAN IP addresses only (10.***, 192.168.**)" or "Limit all connections to this submask: ...". I've read about PeerGuardian in wiki, but it seems too complex for this.

Some of those maybe useful. PM me or Crise once you've finished. :blink:

ApexDC allows binding to an IP address. By default it does not bind and accept connections on all addresses. If you put IP of your local network address, then it should accept connections only from local network.

Also you can use PG for this. BTW I remember I requested 2 of these feature requests too, good to see someone working on them :D