voidwalker

Favorite hubs categories & download mp3 info

21 posts in this topic

1. I have lik 50 hubs in my fav so it's a pain in the ass to look for a specific one, it would be nice to have hub categories with expand/collapse buttons (e.g. music hubs, big public hubs, ebook hubs, LAN hubs etc). i imagine somthing like right click on category, and choose "connect to hubs in this category"

2. I mainly (re)started to use dc because of music, (for the rest torrent meets all my needs) and so when i download an album i want to be able to quickly compare bitrates of songs from different users, or to see if all songs in an album have the same bitrate (i like to keep my music in good quality); it was present in some clients i used before (don't know which) and i never had much use for it until now, i miss it very much :/

Please implement them in the next version, would make my dc experience soooo much better :|

This is a good feature.. I edited myself my Favorites.xml in some categories, like international hubs, hubs where i'm registered and so on.. but it takes some time...

I also like this feature but i guess it wont be easy to implement.BTW here's a temporary solution - rename hubs like [LAN]HubName , [Movies]HubName , etc and them sort them by name :) You can still connect easy to several hubs in the same category easily :)

For the mp3s - I completely agree, also it should work for videos, they need also resolution, at all, as much info for each type as possible.

For the Fav hubs i find an additional column "genre" more handy, as ifmn explained it is fast to reorder.

yeah, a genre column could work well too if the devs are too lazy to code anything else, this should be very simple

i don't see a scenario where video info fetching would be that useful, and besides there are so many codecs and container formats, it would have to use an external library or else it's not an easy task to do

why..:)

because i don't feel like connecting to random hubs each time, and those hubs have the stuff i need, best big public hubs, hubs from my country, hubs for music etc

...i don't see a scenario where video info fetching would be that useful, and besides there are so many codecs and container formats, it would have to use an external library or else it's not an easy task to do

But but but eMule has it, so it should be possible. And eMule also has Comment system, like Download Master. Too revolutional maybe, but why not one day?

But but but eMule has it, so it should be possible. And eMule also has Comment system, like Download Master. Too revolutional maybe, but why not one day?

eMule uses id3lib: http://www.id3lib.org/

Guess we can use id3lib too or not? :) :)

you can, but you have no way how to transfer this info between clients (for example in search) and if this info will be available in your filelist, then your client will be banned, because filelist will be too large.

What about some common online database, to which to send an inquiry for "more details" an a chosen search item?

What about some common online database, to which to send an inquiry for "more details" an a chosen search item?

We already have this :blink: and it's called "Bitzi lookup"

Do you mean something like FreeDB or CDDB (for music)? So the id3 infos would be stored on a separate file, having no risk to get banned because of a too large filelist...

Atm I think that implementing those categories like Music, Videos and so on is a great thing, maybe later the dev team would implement id3lib...

Do you mean something like FreeDB or CDDB (for music)? So the id3 infos would be stored on a separate file, having no risk to get banned because of a too large filelist...

Atm I think that implementing those categories like Music, Videos and so on is a great thing, maybe later the dev team would implement id3lib...

Yes, something like this, even with the option for user comments/signals for the files... IMO there is not an obstacle for this, even w/o ADC protocol. It may be only too difficult (read boring and annoying) to maintain, since user comments should be checked before publishing... well, just like in the Mule.

MP3 Info: I agree that this is one option which was dropped in Apex which never should have been . To be quite honest there are quite a few files out there on the hubs which are no better that analogue telephone quality at 32 and sometimes 16 kbps.

In PeerWeb DC++ the 4 pieces of information that are returned on MP3s are both helpful and complete i.e . MPEG Version, Channel Mode (#), Frequency and Bitrate. A similar type of operation would be terrific for video files such as .AVI (which almost seems to be the de facto standard out there) and return the Video Codec, the Resolution (e.g. 640 x 464) and the BitRate. A further enhancement to this might be the compound entity returned by AVICodec called File Quality which is a weighted calculation based upon the Audio and Video attributes combined and a good reflection on the overall quality of the video file.

So, whilst it is terrific to locate and download some of these files, it is perhaps more relevant to many of us that we can enjoy the highest quality performance that is available.

Cheers....

MP3 Info: I agree that this is one option which was dropped in Apex which never should have been . To be quite honest there are quite a few files out there on the hubs which are no better that analogue telephone quality at 32 and sometimes 16 kbps.

In PeerWeb DC++ the 4 pieces of information that are returned on MP3s are both helpful and complete i.e . MPEG Version, Channel Mode (#), Frequency and Bitrate. A similar type of operation would be terrific for video files such as .AVI (which almost seems to be the de facto standard out there) and return the Video Codec, the Resolution (e.g. 640 x 464) and the BitRate. A further enhancement to this might be the compound entity returned by AVICodec called File Quality which is a weighted calculation based upon the Audio and Video attributes combined and a good reflection on the overall quality of the video file.

So, whilst it is terrific to locate and download some of these files, it is perhaps more relevant to many of us that we can enjoy the highest quality performance that is available.

Cheers....

(audio size in bits / duration in seconds) / 1000 = kbps. Using that I can roughly guess the length of a song/movie and tell if it is a high or so bitrate at least. I understand there will be a slight overhead on the file on top of that but that's not segnificant. I'm not saying these features should be put back in, but I can definatly tell the difference between a 32kbps file and a 128kbps mp3 pretty quickly, same with 128 vs 320. If it was implemented for video files as well then that would probably be rather useful, and so would some sort of File Quality calculation, like you mentioned.

when i'm not downloading from a confident source, i usually just preview the file and that's enough for me...

you can, but you have no way how to transfer this info between clients (for example in search) and if this info will be available in your filelist, then your client will be banned, because filelist will be too large.

it could be possible with some ADC extension, right? :)

when i'm not downloading from a confident source, i usually just preview the file and that's enough for me...

it could be possible with some ADC extension, right? :)

yes, ADC provides GFI command (GetFileInfo) :)

I dissagree. Video info will not be so accurate as the MP3 info. Video bitrate is an average between the first few seconds of the file. And not even the MP3 info is 100% accurate because it depends on the header of the file wich can be easily corrupted or modified.

The only solution for the video would be to store this info inside the filelist via GSpot (or similar) - http://gspot.headbands.com/

As for previewing the actual file, just use AVIPreview !