Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ð.Sp!dér

Right click on a peer to choose it as the only source.

16 posts in this topic

I don't have a very good external connection, except for a maximum of 2.5 MB/s line with only a few other networks in the city. That's my full metro speed. Else I'm capped at 45 KB/s.

My problem: I searched for a file that many many users had. So, naturaly Apex choose more sources. Like 22 or so with only 6 active segments. Out of all of those, there was only one that stood out by 600 KB/s. But guess what happend... Apex quickly finished the segment and I couldn't get another slot from that user ! I tryied aksing him politely for a 10 minute slot, but there was no reply. :)

I was sick with rage and my gut couldn'd take it any more so I had to post and express my feelings. :) So please make a right click option to select a peer as the only available source and only one segment so the download goes smooth and uninterrupted.

I don't have a very good external connection, except for a maximum of 2.5 MB/s line with only a few other networks in the city. That's my full metro speed. Else I'm capped at 45 KB/s.

My problem: I searched for a file that many many users had. So, naturaly Apex choose more sources. Like 22 or so with only 6 active segments. Out of all of those, there was only one that stood out by 600 KB/s. But guess what happend... Apex quickly finished the segment and I couldn't get another slot from that user ! I tryied aksing him politely for a 10 minute slot, but there was no reply. :)

I was sick with rage and my gut couldn'd take it any more so I had to post and express my feelings. :) So please make a right click option to select a peer as the only available source and only one segment so the download goes smooth and uninterrupted.

If i remember right you can't switch a transfer that was started as segmented to non segmented one... hence the 1 segment menuitem is disabled in download queue :D

Even if you downloaded only from 1 user, there would still be segments and you can still loose your slot.Anyway - i guess that the thing you are asking for can be achieved by removing all other users from queue manually :)

either that.. or would it be possible to set in an option say in the right click on a file menu as::

Download as a non-multisource download.

I'm not sure that this is easy to do or whether this would actually would be a StrongDC option. It may well be because Strong is multisource that we cannot do it... but I would think that we could have maybe so that when you click that option it sets the segment size as the same size of the file therefore it downloads in a single segment not allowing then the possibility to loose his connection? This option may be useful to many other users with slow connections as well, that way if they know they get a good connection with someone in the future they can download from them in said maner.

either that.. or would it be possible to set in an option say in the right click on a file menu as::

Download as a non-multisource download.

I'm not sure that this is easy to do or whether this would actually would be a StrongDC option. It may well be because Strong is multisource that we cannot do it... but I would think that we could have maybe so that when you click that option it sets the segment size as the same size of the file therefore it downloads in a single segment not allowing then the possibility to loose his connection? This option may be useful to many other users with slow connections as well, that way if they know they get a good connection with someone in the future they can download from them in said maner.

The thing you have to remember is that you can't really change this mid-transfer... therefore it wouldn't solve the users' problem. Unfortunatly that's the disadvantage of multisourcing, and it wuld probably take a lot to change it. Would be nice if segments were just extended during transfer when a fast user was found, but I would assume that'd not be too easy.

The thing you have to remember is that you can't really change this mid-transfer... therefore it wouldn't solve the users' problem. Unfortunately that's the disadvantage of multi sourcing, and it would probably take a lot to change it. Would be nice if segments were just extended during transfer when a fast user was found, but I would assume that'd not be too easy.

Well.. wouldn't a small section say that goes

when single source download is clicked

go

disconnect from all sources,

set segment size to file size,

force reconnect to designated user

would that not just pick up from where the user left off? or am I just off my rocker? :S which is always possible. I realize the pseudo for it sounds easier then it probably is. But I'm just curious. Because since DC even with segmented downloading downloads everything in order from start to finish, and for safety you could always delete the last previous segment downloaded though I don't think that would matter or have the disconnect only happen after current segments are finished. Greg or anyone know where in the Apex code I would relative code to this? (That is besides Download Manager I'm assuming I will have to look at Strong DC code as well??)

Well.. wouldn't a small section say that goes

when single source download is clicked

go

disconnect from all sources,

set segment size to file size,

force reconnect to designated user

would that not just pick up from where the user left off? or am I just off my rocker? :S which is always possible. I realize the pseudo for it sounds easier then it probably is. But I'm just curious. Because since DC even with segmented downloading downloads everything in order from start to finish, and for safety you could always delete the last previous segment downloaded though I don't think that would matter or have the disconnect only happen after current segments are finished. Greg or anyone know where in the Apex code I would relative code to this? (That is besides Download Manager I'm assuming I will have to look at Strong DC code as well??)

As I understand it, the original poster was complaining about losing a slot, if you disconnect from all sources as you say you're just as (if not more) likely to lose the slot.

As I understand it, the original poster was complaining about losing a slot, if you disconnect from all sources as you say you're just as (if not more) likely to lose the slot.

Yes, but with this solution user is likely to loose a slot only once, while switching to designated user. In the other case, user risks to loose a slot at the end of each segment.

Yes, but with this solution user is likely to loose a slot only once, while switching to designated user. In the other case, user risks to loose a slot at the end of each segment.

That was what I was thinking, as I'm not sure it's possible any other way unless you have an option at the beginning of the transfer as well that makes it do that from the start. Because even if you allow the transfer to do it, say somehow change the size of the segment mid transfer it still has to reconnect at the end of the segment which it is then possible to loose a connection anyway I think.

It starts to become too complicated for me, and I can comment only in the "dummies do" way.

Anyway, let's say you have 100MB file with 10 sources. Steps:

1. Start in multi source, in order to see who is the fastest source. So you will have 10 segments, 10MB each.

2. When Apex finds the fastest source, it starts to hunt a slot from him. During this time, all 10 sources are used, and file should look like that I-----I#--IIIII#---II#--II#----I#-I#--I#----I#--I#---I# (- progress, I missing, # segment border).

3. When slot is granted, Apex just switches to this source and only fills the I gaps of data in all segments.

4. Apex may constantly search for faster sources (interval/speed difference defined in settings). Also some extras like "if source is BG (by GeoIP), switch to it even if it is slower". The last will be very useful for me, since the BG hubs are poor, so I would like to have my INT BW untouched for more downloads.

PS A little offtopic : An option to "download only from this source" would be good for me (as OP) and much appreciated.

Apex always adds a lot of sources for me and I have no control here when I want to check only connection / file from certain user.

at the end of the segment - why does it has to close the connection?

coudnt just close the segment and start another on same connection?

at the end of the segment - why does it has to close the connection?

coudnt just close the segment and start another on same connection?

It doesn't close the connection... unless you have DC++ emulation enabled on that hub :)

then it can be done - alowing me to chose the 1 i download from

PS: i dont have any hub on dc emulation in a list of 20 or more

and i lose sometime the connection - like ending the segment and on the next segment

no slots available

ive checked again - i have no emulated hubs in my list

(and as i know if i dont emulate some hubs are not alowing me to connect - this about the topic u pinted me)

il make another request

ex1: i download a folder (with files folders...) from someone, lets call it A - segmented

i want A to be the principal source and the connection with it to stay on untill i finish to download the folder

in the meantime i want apex to look 4 alternative segments if the speed is below mark

(the mark is already implemented)

ex2: i download a file - segmented

in the segmented download i spot some users from where i like the speed

id like to select those users as principal source and to keep the connection on until i finish the download

gl and 10x

PS:

a: is there any problem with the check connection function? im on firewall with manual port farward - the client dosnt make me any problem but the function sayes its an eror on TCP (i might be from me, im behind a hardware and a software firewall - both r well configurated); sometime it gives no error but mostly does

b: in the installer asign a port or let it on passive - in connection settings

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0