belial

Sharing GUI

18 posts in this topic

I think it would be a great ideea to modify the Sharing GUI code, because when you have already a shared directory by the name "XXX" and you try to share another directory with the same name (with or without lowercase) an error box occurs which tells you that you already have in your share another dir with the same name. You don't really know what happend with the two dirs (the old one and the new one) because a checkbox is being displayed in the left of the new dir and also the old dir.

So i think it would be nice to modify de code and to output some input field with the message: "Please select a new name for the dir as there's already a shared dir with that name".

Yeah, and fix the issue when removing virtually-named folders...

Wont it be better if apex adds the files/folders from the second folder to the first folder instead of showing error ? For example if you want to share you movies (and your movies are on 2 drives because of their big size) you must share them as "Movies1" and "Movies2".But I want to have only one folder named "Movies".So if you rename them both to "Movies" they should appear as one folder.

Also it'd be useful if apex can use "\" in the share name the "right way" - f.e if you name a folder you share to "Movies\Comedy" to put the folder "Comedy" in "Movies" instead of appearing as "Movies?Comedy" :)

Useful, but some people may still prefer the old school, and it has some advantages (what if some of the drive needs to be replaced, it will corrupt the whole share). But actually I will enjoy an option "Show content of folders A, B, C under folder D".

Useful, but some people may still prefer the old school, and it has some advantages (what if some of the drive needs to be replaced, it will corrupt the whole share). But actually I will enjoy an option "Show content of folders A, B, C under folder D".

What do you mean by "the old school"? If there's a method to do what I posted please give more info :)

the old school = the method used now, i. e. some users may prefer having a folder movies on each drive, and don't merge them together in Apex (say because of year release, quality or smth).

So give the user the choice? The ability to give the option to re-enter the name for the folder I just thought would be pretty simple, but if adding them into the same folder is too, then do that, or give the user a choice. When someone enters a name which is already in use by another folder ideally it would have a dialog box with 3 options; "Cancel", "Enter a different share" and "Merge within filelist".

I would like to see a Pause/Stop button next to the progres bar where the indexing takes place.

And would also like to share a folder inside a folder even if that folder is in a folder that is currently shared. :whistling: And a "Index this folder even if it's Hidden" checkbox.

For example: Let's say I've got a Pr0n folder on my computer. I don't want to keep it in D: (for obvious reasons) so I kinda hide it in D:/Stuff/Boring-Old-Piture-Name/Misc. But since I've already shared the Stuff root, I can't share a folder from there.

Just don't make it possible for people to share a mear 1 GB folder 100 times with a hundred different names to get the 100 GB they need to get access to a specific hub...

If there's an easyer fix for it, please let me know.

And would also like to share a folder inside a folder even if that folder is in a folder that is currently shared.

I don't see why this would allow users to inflate their share as you would have to uncheck it/remove it from your share before you could add it again? Anyway, unless there is some problem with this which I can't see right now, this would probably be useful...

As for a Pause/Stop button in the Indexing Progress window, I'm sure lots of users would appreciate that if it's at all easy to implement.

Pause/Stop is not so important, if I needed a slower hashing before, I was just reducing the hashing speed while hashing was in progress. The problem was in the longer response time of GUI due to the hashing itself...

Won't this be easyer ?

untitledpb4.png

Mabey even a toolbar button for this window ?

I think an icon showing a hdd going through a meat grinder would look nice. :)

What I want to see in new sharing interface:

1. Ability to merge 2 two or more different folder into one.

2. Ability to create more then one level of virtual folders.

3. Ability to split share from one folder into many.

Example 1:

My friend have 2 TB (it's not a joke) of anime on 6 physical drives. On every drive they have folder 'AnimeN' and some other folders. They can't merge they collection into one folder without merging HDDrives into one claster. But if any drive in claster damaged -- all information lost! On this moment they will share they collection in 6 different folders (right it's 'ANIME1', 'ANIME2', e.t.c.). With merging feature they can create one folder 'Anime' with all files from all folders like 'AnimeN'.

Also anybody who browsing they share will go inside of every 'AnimeN' folder and searching for something. With merging feature they see one HUGE folder with all they want. It's cool, right?

Example for 2 and 3:

I have folder 'video'. In this folder I have folders 'amv', 'gmv', 'films', 'anime', 'fun', 'documental'. Also I have folder 'video.demos'. But this folder outside from folder 'video' and physically exist on other logic drive. :)

I want to share folder 'video', but I want to see folder 'anime' and 'amv' outside of this folder... and folder demos -- inside with name 'trailers'.

Like this:

video // virtual folder with binded folder 'video' to them and hidden folders 'anime' and 'amv'.

--trailers // virtual folder with binded folder 'video.demos' to them

----games // subfolder from 'video.demos'

----films // subfolder from 'video.demos'

--gmv

--films

--fun

--documental

anime // virtual folder

--video // original name is 'anime'

--amv

I don't want to physically move folder 'anime' and 'amv' outside folder 'video' on my harddrive, also I don't want creating folder for 'anime' and 'amv' and share it. Now I can't make structure like this without moving folders 'anime' and 'amv' outside folder 'video'.

Also... what about little progressbar on status panel with progress of updating filelist and sharing new files?

Is there any real need to revive age old topics? If they have not been implemented by now, chances are, they wont be.

Still, this might lead to better idea and implementation. In this case, it is not really a solution to use the OS tools. What if user does not want any changes at system level?

Is there any real need to revive age old topics? If they have not been implemented by now, chances are, they wont be.
Maybe someone find this solution useful..? If you don't need it, doesn't mean that no one need it.

Some of my friends merge folders from several harddrives with JPs and share it as one. So I think it's not so difficult.

Still, this might lead to better idea and implementation. In this case, it is not really a solution to use the OS tools. What if user does not want any changes at system level?
It's impossible to implement every single idea just because of limited time :P