Lee

How to upgrade ApexDC++ without losing data

14 posts in this topic

How to upgrade ApexDC++ without losing data

Many of you might have received problems when upgrading ApexDC++, and this guide is written to eliminate those. These problems include wiping your download queue, settings, favourites, etc. In order to avoid this, please use the following steps.

Vista/7 users: You should ensure you have given ApexDC++ administrator privileges.

Using the setup file

1. Download the latest setup file
  2. Close ApexDC++
  3. Make sure you have the "Store settings in AppData" set to what you installed with. If you left it default, keep it the same.
  4. Run setup, and install ApexDC++ into the same Program Files directory (Usually Program Files/ApexDC++). The setup file will check whether you already have the client installed, and only install the necessary parts to upgrade
  5. Run ApexDC++ - you'll be running the latest version
Using the binary

1. Download the binary file
  2. Close ApexDC++
  3. Extract ApexDC.exe and ApexDC.pdb to directory and overwrite when asked
  4. Start ApexDC++
Edited by Lee
dorustegaru likes this

Updated guide: You must close the program before upgrading.

It didn't remember my share :)

And only now I've noticed that backup script link.

All you need to do is recheck your shared folders. It doesn't need to rehash. :(

Or, you can backup section <Share.../> in DCPlusPlus.xml, then run new .exe, quit it and then restore it in that file. It's useful if you have lots of shared dirs, not to tick 1000 (omg) directories... Hope this helps.

I've edited the guide to reflect the sharing issue. :rolleyes:

:) :wacko: :wacko: I remember, update automatically ApexDC++ from version 1.2.1 to 1.2.2. Why to upgrade from 1.2.2 to 1.3 i need to download installer?! :excl:

:):wacko: :wacko: I remember, update automatically ApexDC++ from version 1.2.1 to 1.2.2. Why to upgrade from 1.2.2 to 1.3 i need to download installer?! :excl:

The auto-update feature is still there just disabled... if we get enough feedback asking for it to be re-enabled it will be... but right now you are the first one to make a note of this.

The auto-update feature is still there just disabled... if we get enough feedback asking for it to be re-enabled it will be... but right now you are the first one to make a note of this.

maybe need auto-update system like utorrent auto-update..

I can update ApexDC++ but....

in year 2006 we recommended our abonents StrongDC++ 2.02 some people still use it (screenshot)...

in year 2008 we recommended our abonents FlylinkDC++ v.(329) many people still use it (screenshot)......

ApexDC++ with autoupdate... we recommended to users... now auto-update is off... it was terribly...

many "orcs" can't update client (old version don't work :) )

"orcs" don't understand why they need to install new version.. (they lazy...)

:wacko:

maybe you enable auto-update.. :wacko:

post-12624-126711327961_thumb.png

I also would like auto update, as long as it still is optional. A notification within Apex/DC ++ to say update is available: then one click to update, with no need to redo settings etc.. would be most welcome.

I also would like auto update, as long as it still is optional. A notification within Apex/DC ++ to say update is available: then one click to update, with no need to redo settings etc.. would be most welcome.

The feature already exists (although it's in a need of an update) it has just been turned off for the time being... whether that feature will be re-enabled in the future we do not know yet.

I'm just testing 1.5.0.1021 update. Other than losing my nick in favs, no problems so far. Just copy over the favouites.xml file from a backup, or other hub, and paste over.

Edit.: Losing the nicks was found to be NOT an Apex problem, but one caused by copying over the Favourites.xml file from another client, which apparently stored Nicks elsewhere. So check before copying, if not copying an Apex file.

I'm just testing 1.5.0.1021 update. Other than losing my nick in favs, no problems so far. Just copy over the favouites.xml file from a backup, or other hub, and paste over.

For future reference, please keep all discussion regarding the member-only betas to the appropriate topic. That way it's all together and easier to maintain. :)