Lee

ApexDC++ Linux development

25 posts in this topic

We'd like to bring your attention to our recently created Linux area for ApexDC++. Almiteycow has been porting our Windows version to Linux, but has come across problems within the RevConnect code used in ApexDC++.

28/02/07: There's a compilable pre-alpha version without ApexDC++'s features, here. We're now looking for people to help port ApexDC++ specific features ready for a release. The prize fund of $130 is still on offer for people who help out porting features. More information is available in the Linux development forum.

11/03/07: We require Linux enthusiasts who are able test these development versions so stop by the forums and participate.

Edited by Lee
Updated to reflect progress.

I wonder if almighty (yes deliberately spelled that [in]correctly) will actually pay the $50. Anyway, hopefully this will get someone to figure it out, and maybe that person may want to do more developement for free? :)

I wonder if almighty (yes deliberately spelled that [in]correctly) will actually pay the $50. Anyway, hopefully this will get someone to figure it out, and maybe that person may want to do more developement for free? :)

Excellent way to convince people to help out Greg. If almiteycow doesn't pay the $50, I'll find some money to do so.

I've got plenty of money. I can send it via PayPal, check, money order... hell, if you take credit card even... You'll get the money.

Also, yeah, I know I'm offering money on an open source project; consider it a "bounty" as they have other places. I want this feature implemented, and I'm willing to pay.

We may need to expand outside of our userbase though for this help. So, if you know any devs from other places/forums/hubs, let them know. If they don't get this one, I'm sure I'll have other challenges as well :) The more linux coders we can get in general, the better we are.

Edited by almiteycow

I will not be a great help in development. But I can consider to be also a subscriber or Donator for this Project :)

If someone does get it ported, I'd be willing to add $20 to the pot.

I've pinned this again to bring further attention to it. Thanks for the contribution Kevo (if it does infact get ported).

i will add $30 to the pot to make it $100 altogether if it get done:)

Perhaps another email should be sent out... if someone hears about $100, that might be a good incentive. Or, if there are no takers and almightey can't do it, we could always hire out (i'm not sure how far $100 would go, although there isn't tons of coding I guess, just converting it to code linux can use).

Cheers for the extra price funds both of you. I've updated the first post and I'll send a little update reminder via email. :)

I will not be a great help in development. But I can consider to be also a subscriber or Donator for this Project :o

Perhaps another email should be sent out... if someone hears about $100, that might be a good incentive. Or, if there are no takers and almightey can't do it, we could always hire out (i'm not sure how far $100 would go, although there isn't tons of coding I guess, just converting it to code linux can use).

I want also to contribute and I want to put $30 to the pot. Just let me know how you want to get the money ;) *

I really want to get the Linux version in place as I am waiting since a long time for a working version of a "good" Linux-DC-client.

:)

The only thing i'm good for with C#/C++ is debuging :o

I'm good with PHP/MySQL, so sorry for that :)

Anyway, if someone need a debuger under linux, i'm here ;)

A linux version would be nice. I wonder why DC++ never got ported... The source is there and it's open, so why not do it ?

Too much effort ? :)

A linux version would be nice. I wonder why DC++ never got ported... The source is there and it's open, so why not do it ?

Too much effort ? :)

DC++ is being ported, via LinuxDC++.

I think i can help you guys, well not me, but i may know the man of the hour. I'm an OP on our university's DC hub, been using apexdc since you guys started, well enough about me, the guy that runs our hub and server is an Computer electronics engineer, linux boffin and just to say the least an amazing programmer, i'll give the code to him and ask him what he can do, will get back to you guys asap!

I think i can help you guys, well not me, but i may know the man of the hour. I'm an OP on our university's DC hub, been using apexdc since you guys started, well enough about me, the guy that runs our hub and server is an Computer electronics engineer, linux boffin and just to say the least an amazing programmer, i'll give the code to him and ask him what he can do, will get back to you guys asap!

That'd be great if he were able to help Almighteycow, and tell him he has the chance to make $130 in the process (I'm sure it'll help him make up his mind... he is a university student, and they always need money;))

Woohoo! Thanks guys! It looks like we're generating some good attention to the project, from the buzz I'm hearing various places on the net.

LinuxDC++ is the port of regular DC++, but I've heard rumours that they'll probably not work with us. They're working on porting the base DC++ only, no special Apex features and that sort of thing. Difference of opinions I guess (but that's the beauty of open source software, choice), best of luck to them anyway. It's a good baseline to work off, but some of the more advanced features we offer in Apex are derived from RevConnect, which seems to be really linux unfriendly code.

Let us know what you find out, Anarion.

Once again, thanks for the support, both monetary and kind words.

I'm not saying I'm taking up the job, but here's a few things that you need to fix that are not related to your linker problems...

SharedFileStream.h

lines 71, 90 - changed to long for 64-bit CPU reasons

FileChunksInfo.cpp

lines 492, 597, 1009 - min() call not casting (int64_t) (or the relavent cast)

You don't have a main() either, which is sort of important.... heh.

Also, you need to add a few things to your Readme and SConstruct...

Required libs:

openssl-devel

pcre-devel

Yeah, that main thing is bugging the hell out of me, but I can't find it in the original code either. :S

Will look into your suggestions on Monday. Thank you very much. Keep 'em coming :)

Hello,

I've come to this forum through a link in revconnect's forum. Anywho, i've posted there the same thing, a viable linux version of dc++, a porting of revconnect to linux. Personaly i am a fan of revconnect, ( and by the way i considered to be the best client in the dc++ area ).

Besides the money, ( and i don't think that the person who will create the linux client does care about the money ) what are the details, what exactly does not work ( besides the obvious differences between win and linux ) ???

And if there is a "team" already assembled that's working on the project, i want in. And if not, i want to start one.

Hello,

I've come to this forum through a link in revconnect's forum. Anywho, i've posted there the same thing, a viable linux version of dc++, a porting of revconnect to linux. Personaly i am a fan of revconnect, ( and by the way i considered to be the best client in the dc++ area ).

Besides the money, ( and i don't think that the person who will create the linux client does care about the money ) what are the details, what exactly does not work ( besides the obvious differences between win and linux ) ???

And if there is a "team" already assembled that's working on the project, i want in. And if not, i want to start one.

Thanks for registering and showing an interest. Almiteycow is currently working on the project, so the best persont o ask would be him. He keeps a record of what he's working on, including his errors, here. :lol: