Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Optimus_Prime

Search for similar Files

15 posts in this topic

Hey !

I am an old DC++ user, coming back after years of not being here using this great client.

There is a thing that has allways bothered me.

In contrary to diffrent networks.. ed2k the most... here, most or all of the files are genuine... I mean that if you search for something that it has it exact name on the title you will download it, and not a pr0n movie.

Then, lot of people when download something, they change the name of the file to something else, not the original.

For this reason, I think, correct me if I am wrong, I can be downloading something from 12 sources when there are 100 different sources that have the same file with the exact the same size, but they changed the name.

Maybe i'm wrong, I don't know how the hash works.. the TTH ... if it hash includes info on the file name.. or just the size..

My request.. if it is posible in the network or in reality, to create a new feature, that will check files that have some of the parts of the original file.. for example :

If i am downloading LOST-XVID-S03E02-HDTV.avi that is 123456 bytes size, I want the program to be able me to download from someone that has this file Lost - season 3 - episode 2 and has the exact same size.

So, the algorithm, will search for keywords like LOST, 3 ,2 and the exact file size, so i will be able to download from other sources that have the exact same file, but just changed the file name.

What do u think ? or maybe it exists, or it is impossible ?

As far as I know TTH doesnt include the filename...Maybe u are downloading different releases.

EDIT: I think changing Max sources to match will help u ( Settings / Experts only ) (if the TTH is the same..)

As far as I know TTH doesnt include the filename...Maybe u are downloading different releases.

Yep, TTH doesn't care about file name...

but even a one byte difference in file content means different TTH (metadata differences in media files f.ex.)

As for the request what good would it do if you can search for similar files, because you can't add them to your download anyways (assuming that the TTH is different, as if it isn't they will get added to the file in regular search for alternates)

IF the file is the same size, and i get an option to select which of the new found sources i want to select to add to the current downloading file..

from what i understand it is impossible because of the TTH of the original file ?

To download a file form several users simultaneously,the file must have the same hash which doesnt depend on the filename.

Optimus_Prime wants a feature apex to consider two files who have the same filesize as they have the same TTH so that he can download them simultaneously.(I mean as they were the same file)

Surely this happens anyway as TTH is not dependent on filename?

Not really - it still depends on ones and zeros,not the size(only).

I think this feature will only cause corruption...

I agree. It will mean that Apex Won't be able to distinguish the files. The only reason to download genuine files is that you take the one with most hits, which is a god warranty. I have never downloaded wrong release of smth due to program's fault.

tth is a hash of the file.

if every single byte in the file is the same then it can be added as a source.

file name is not important.

if the file size was the thing that is used (as it use to be) then file corruption can occur.

hope that helps

As we have discussed in another topic (sorry, link not handy), corruption can occur always except bit-by-bit comparison ("fc" command in dos prompt), but with tth corruption is very unlikely.

tth is a hash of the file.

if every single byte in the file is the same then it can be added as a source.

file name is not important.

if the file size was the thing that is used (as it use to be) then file corruption can occur.

hope that helps

So, the current function of find more sources should do it ?

So, the current function of find more sources should do it ?

The current function will find a correct match yes, as according to the Hash, thus find you all the files with an exact bit by bit match. Any of those files turned up by a TTH search can be added as a source.

The current function will find a correct match yes, as according to the Hash, thus find you all the files with an exact bit by bit match. Any of those files turned up by a TTH search can be added as a source.

I am supposed after searching to add them manually ?

IMHO yes... But only after resuming from another client or similar... Apex continuously searches for the same TTH on the hubs you are on.

there is a setting in downloads -> queue -> "Auromaticly search for alternate TTH sources every" ... minutes.

if this is checked your client will automaticly look for more sources every ... minutes and add them for you

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0