Lee

ApexDC++ for Linux

23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

ApexDC++ for Linux has been continued by almiteycow, a previous developer who retired on the windows project. You can find his notes here. If you can help out in any way (testing, developing), please contact him or po

t in the topic mentioned. :blushing:

Glad to see the Linux side of things is getting some activety, and even better to see it's from a previous(ly retired) developer.

That's incredible news. I will soon switch over linux and this will be a great reason to hurry the switch :thumbsup:

Hehe, if a release comes quickly then maybe, but I wouldn't get too excited just yet, this could take a while.

Plz dont make perfect emulation in this copy their are 2 clients for DC in linux and both are ok dont create one that isnt

Plz dont make perfect emulation in this copy their are 2 clients for DC in linux and both are ok dont create one that isnt

Well imo. perfect emulation is what we should aim towards to, i know that it won't be good when looked at operators point of view, and that fake clients can use this to their advantage... but even so linux still doesn't have a client that could be used with "all" hubs unlike windows has vanilla DC++, and linux users deserve such client... (say what you say, but some hubs kick linuxdc++ etc. but in all hubs at least one, and usually most of the more recent versions of standard DC++ are allowed)

Well if some hubs kick linux dc++ the hubowners must be retarded cause linux dc is a clean clone with no bad feats. Eg limiter and **** like that what linux users need is a op client not more user clients perhaps u can focus on that instead of a user client. that would be the first op client for linux if u did it

Well if some hubs kick linux dc++ the hubowners must be retarded cause linux dc is a clean clone with no bad feats. Eg limiter and shit like that what linux users need is a op client not more user clients perhaps u can focus on that instead of a user client. that would be the first op client for linux if u did it

Um, ApexDC++ itself is very OP orientated. Porting that would be an OP and user client for Linux.

Um, ApexDC++ itself is very OP orientated. Porting that would be an OP and user client for Linux.

Very true, compared to LinuxDC++, ApexDC++ is very OP orientated.

make it a pure op client then :)

No. Then we're limiting our userbase. :D

No. Then we're limiting our userbase. :)

Actually why, if it comes "user preconfigured" and it is clear for the regular user which settings NOT to play with.

So it wont eat much RAM, only will take slightly more HDD, and IMHO nobody should care for this. :P

The advantages: only one client - faster development, less bugs, easier support.

Actually why, if it comes "user preconfigured" and it is clear for the regular user which settings NOT to play with.

So it wont eat much RAM, only will take slightly more HDD, and IMHO nobody should care for this. :)

The advantages: only one client - faster development, less bugs, easier support.

Of course it would limit the userbase. Plenty of people use "standard" ApexDC++ on hubs where they are an OP already. The non-OP users make up a bigger proportion of the DC network, or so I would hope at least, you don't want more OP than normal users. As such, by making a client targeted mainly to non-OP users you get the target share of the userbase. The current version of ApexDC++ is much more suitable for OPing than any other client I know of available on Linux.

As for the faster development point you raised... anything in ApexDC++ as it is at the moment which can't easily be ported will probably be stripped by almightycow (deliberately [in]correctly spelled) I guess, so I would hope the extra features added won;t slow development too much.

Less bugs... well, hopefully we don't have too many anyway. :P

Easier support... surely it;s easier to give support for things which are in both clients, with a little less that can't be ported, than having to give support for a load of different features etc. too?

Support for both is already going to be hell... Especially since I don't know what I'm doing. As Grogs (deliberately [in]correct) said, I'm stripping out a bunch of stuff that can't be ported easily, as porting is already hard enough for me. I don't even know if I'll be able to keep up with Crise and his features on the regular client. I'd say that most likely it'll be the same as the basic Apex, if we're lucky and find a really good linux dev.

well i think (as almiteycow has said) it is going to take a while to make a decent basic client and i belive the revconnect code is much more of a priority then anything else. however i think it is mabey a good thing to aim the linux client at OP's, if they are using linux then they probably know what they are doing and therfore want a client that can do more then the norm.

the counter argument to this is I want people to use free open source software. ubuntu is making big steps in opening up linux for humans. therefore the argument of "if they use linux they probably alredy know" starts to loose its credence. if we want people to stop using propriatory software then developers have to make software that is easy to use.

well its late, im drunk and have just noticed thati was going to rant for ages so im going to stop. :P merry christmas all :)

well i think (as almiteycow has said) it is going to take a while to make a decent basic client and i belive the revconnect code is much more of a priority then anything else. however i think it is mabey a good thing to aim the linux client at OP's, if they are using linux then they probably know what they are doing and therfore want a client that can do more then the norm.

the counter argument to this is I want people to use free open source software. ubuntu is making big steps in opening up linux for humans. therefore the argument of "if they use linux they probably alredy know" starts to loose its credence. if we want people to stop using propriatory software then developers have to make software that is easy to use.

well its late, im drunk and have just noticed thati was going to rant for ages so im going to stop. :P merry christmas all :D

Worry about getting a decent basic client first, adding stuff in comes later. Hopefully after release we will start to establish a userbase and due to the Linux community (as you mentioned) generally knowing what they're doing, maybe one of these new users will be willing to help the develop the client further. Basically let's just get a usable client for we worry about any sort of extras.

Bingo Greg. That's what I'm hoping for here. You said what I was trying to say, better than I said it.

I don't even know if I'll get a usable client out of what I'm doing (though that's what I'm hoping for), but hopefully we'll get some attention in the Linux community and one of them will come help us out. If not, I'll do the best I can until then, but don't expect beyond what the Windows client offers... if that.

Notice we don't have a Feature Requests section for Linux? :P

Edited by almiteycow

How is this progressing?

I'm just about to set up a new Tuxbox and would like to help if I can. I'm not a programmer, but do have passing knowledge of C++, networks and shell scripts, and have good fault finding skills with an eye for user interfaces.

Any specific areas that need attention or research I'm happy to do. So a progress update with particukar problems and needs that need attention would be useful.

[edit]

Nevermind. I just managed to open the other thread http://forums.apexdc.net/index.php?showtopic=1065 I kept getting time outs for some reason and assumed it was a dead link.

[/edit]

So, take me answer anybody please, can i find a links for ApexDCLinux sources or packages here? Or at anything sites? And I apologize for my English...

Bingo Greg. That's what I'm hoping for here. You said what I was trying to say, better than I said it.

I don't even know if I'll get a usable client out of what I'm doing (though that's what I'm hoping for), but hopefully we'll get some attention in the Linux community and one of them will come help us out. If not, I'll do the best I can until then, but don't expect beyond what the Windows client offers... if that.

Notice we don't have a Feature Requests section for Linux? :crying:

yeah it would be cool if someone would join to help. I will ask some of my friends if they know any Linux communities ... here in Russia