almiteycow

Linux Project Development

122 posts in this topic

Lee, just to remind you we originally asked help only for porting the revconnect code, which is just a small portion of the client code...

What's with you today, Crise? I don't need reminding, I wrote the announcement. :)

That was what we originally wanted for a small prize fund, then it got higher. :thumbsup:

Stop raising the fund, devs are maybe ready and just wait it to grow more and more. :)

If smo outside our team builds whatever we need, it is ours, as long as we pay for it, however the dev/s should receive the money + line in credits, acc. to my not so bad knowledge of intellectual property. Other way is the respective dev/s to be willing to join the team? But should we pay them then? :thumbsup:

What's with you today, Crise? I don't need reminding, I wrote the announcement. :)

That was what we originally wanted for a small prize fund, then it got higher. :thumbsup:

What's with me today, I dunno you tell me?

Anyways, why don't we ask opinion from those who originally put the money in the pot, instead of sticking with the "we" all the time, it's still their money you know... they only made a promise to add it to the pot, and promises are to be kept... but that doesn't mean we have the right to do decisions on this on our own, if we decide to change something that was said in the announcement. (this is because everyone that put money in this did it based on the announcement and if something from it is going to change they have the right to have a say in that).

I agree with crise here, this money is for the revconnect code and nothing else. Im a linux user and apexdc is the best dc client. i want one for my linux machine and the revconnect code is a must. none of the developers currently working on this project can do it so we need to give people insentives

I've check the code and SharedFileStream shouldn't be so hard to rewrite for me. The only problem is that I don't have linux so I can't test it :thumbsup:

I've check the code and SharedFileStream shouldn't be so hard to rewrite for me. The only problem is that I don't have linux so I can't test it :thumbsup:

We have a couple of users on Linux to test it.

Crise and Balder: Yeah... the price has increased, so I don't see why the workload shouldn't either. That's my opinion, and obviously it's not my money, but do you see all the people who donated visiting here regularly to stay updated with the latest? We got to make the best of what they donated, which is what I thought they'd want. :)

The only problem is that I don't have linux so I can't test it
ill test

Crise and Balder: Yeah... the price has increased, so I don't see why the workload shouldn't either.
I can see where your coming from; however to me the previous price was not attracting interest but now we already have at least on person (BM) saying that he may do it. a person how has monitored this thread since it started and has only now decided to say they may be able to help. Perhaps things have just started to hapen if you ask for more work you may lose the assistance you have already started to gain.

True balder. I don't want to see money thrown into a project and nothing comes out of it (e.g. the revconnect code gets done, but there's still no linux client).

I know and appreciate that your looking after the project :) cheers

Crise and Balder: Yeah... the price has increased, so I don't see why the workload shouldn't either. That's my opinion, and obviously it's not my money, but do you see all the people who donated visiting here regularly to stay updated with the latest? We got to make the best of what they donated, which is what I thought they'd want. ;)

Hi. I am permanently user of Linux, I can help with programming and testing client. I developing myself multi-platform hubsoft in C++, so I have some experience :)

I hate to bust balls but switching the Gui now for Linux usability is a waste.... the new DC++ commit by arne has something new in it... thus the reason for not needing WTL ... it is called SmartWin and here is the link (check the DC++ SVN if you don't believe me ;-) http://smartwin.sourceforge.net/

cheers iceman however BM beat you to bringing that unfortunate information to us, in this thread i think. either way it don't matter to much. the linux client is not porting th gui stuff it is redoing it and there fore the switch doesn't matter to much

I hate to bust balls but switching the Gui now for Linux usability is a waste.... the new DC++ commit by arne has something new in it... thus the reason for not needing WTL ... it is called SmartWin and here is the link (check the DC++ SVN if you don't believe me ;-) http://smartwin.sourceforge.net/

if you have read my opinion above, you would know that I don't like this change to SmartWin because it's only done to remove dependency on VS but not on platform. SmartWin is only for Windows.

ahh, I didn't think only a test whether it runs correctly but also whether it compiles ;-)

but I think that I need only undefine _WIN32 macro and compile it under Windows and it will behaves as it's being compiled on different platform.

I've check the code and SharedFileStream shouldn't be so hard to rewrite for me. The only problem is that I don't have linux so I can't test it :D

Well, what an excuse, isn't Linux free? :D Or smo needs to assemble a separate box and let you via VNC against, say 10-20% of the money? :)

Well, what an excuse, isn't Linux free? :wacko: Or smo needs to assemble a separate box and let you via VNC against, say 10-20% of the money? :D

Just use VMware or some similar application. I'd run Linux under VMware and let someone VNC in for 10-20% cash (, if they succesfully the write code.) :(

ahh, I didn't think only a test whether it runs correctly but also whether it compiles ;-)

but I think that I need only undefine _WIN32 macro and compile it under Windows and it will behaves as it's being compiled on different platform.

That'll work for 80% of the code. 10% of the rest, I was able to port. The last 10% is RevConnect/StrongDC code: SharedFileStream, Partial File code was the stuff that wouldn't port.

If you can port the 4 or so files so they work in Linux, I don't care about the rest of the client, nor about the GUI. That is what I'll award the cash for, as I totally failed in porting those features when I tried. Final Answer. I'm confident that our members/devs/myself can write a GUI for it without much of a problem. The rest of the client runs relatively well with the core from MultiDC++. However, ApexDC++ is not the pinnacle of file-sharing without the Partial File Sharing/Segmented Downloading features implemented. I feel that this is the single strongest thing we can bring to Linux. (Yeah, I know it's been done by Valknut, but not to the standard we're used to here.)

When those files get ported, I will merge that code into our MultiDC++ base, and we can continue work. I've documented a little of the protocol that can be used for testing, no need for GUI to test. Either that, or to test, it could be merged with LinuxDC++ code as well.

hello everyone,

i'd like to help. i'll b nice to know exactly how, and how to start. :)

(btw: i'm reading the pinned topic, so i just let you know that i'll be testing the cvs)

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. Please contact almiteycow for details. He is leading the Linux project.

Is the rest of the linux port code available for download, so can try compiling & testing porting the partial file stuff ?

translated: for $260 i will give it a damn good try. And if i fail, i know others who won't fail. :thumbsup:

for $260 i will give it a damn good try.

^^ money is teh ****

Is the rest of the linux port code available for download, so can try compiling & testing porting the partial file stuff ?

translated: for $260 i will give it a damn good try. And if i fail, i know others who won't fail. :thumbsup:

The latest code is available to view here.