Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Squelch

[Bug] File lists out of sync

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I mentioned in my Missing Content thread, that I have been having trouble with filelists in general.

Here are the problems all in one place:

1. Mousing over the filelist entry in the download queue crashes the client to desktop without error.

I never get to see which filelists are queued. They are not included when Apex is restarted.

2. Downloaded user filelists do not show removed content.

If content has been removed from a users filelist, it still shows up in the tree even when the list is downloaded again. I have found that manualy deleting the filelist fixes this, so updates to old content does not appear to be taking place.

3. Failed downloads stall until readded. This is a follow on from the previous bug.

If a file is not found, it's marked as having an error and won't be resumed until it is added again. Autosearch seems to skip error files, even though the content may be available from another source, or even the same user who has moved the files to another location. This is coumpounded by the previous error, when readding files that show in the users list, but are still not available. A manual search for alternatives does update the download queue.

1.-I dont have such problem.And they are removed for a reason.(Its not a bug)

2.-That doesn't depend from Apex.It depends on the other user's client.There's no difference if you delete the filelist and download it again and download it - its overwritten anyway.

I follow you on point one about the queued filelist not being added again on restart. However, because of the crash, I never get to open the file list at all. It still doesn't explain the CTD.

With filelists not being correct, I'd expect there to be a discrepancy over a short time, but with one one particular user, it was more than 24 hours. Only after I deleted the existing filelist, did it show the correct content. If, as you say, it's overwritten, why did it continue to be incorrect? I could tell that something was wrong, because the Hub user list showed thier sharesize to be smaller than the filelist I was downloading.

So don't mouse over the filelist entry in the download queue.

Im sure it overwrites the file.To prove you this - download a filelist.Go to "ApexDir\Settings\FileLists\" and see when the filelist was last modified.After several minutes download it again,click on it and see Modified date again - it'll be different.It all depends on the other client...

BTW are you the admin ?

So don't mouse over the filelist entry in the download queue.
I do try not to :-)

Im sure it overwrites the file.To prove you this - download a filelist.Go to "ApexDir\Settings\FileLists\" and see when the filelist was last modified.After several minutes download it again,click on it and see Modified date again - it'll be different.It all depends on the other client...
I don't have the problem right now so I can't double check. I'm sure the modified dates were being updated, but the list still appeared wrong.

BTW are you the admin ?
Where here? No

As an after thought. Is it possible I'm falling foul of proxy caching at my or the other users ISP? I haven't noticed to date problems with my ISP, and I'm not currently running my Smoothwall router which sometimes cached out of date content.

To view the renewed files the other client must send you the renewed filelist, but before that client does that it must be notified that the share content has changed - the other user can do that by refreshing filelist or restarting the client.So probably the other user added some file to a shared folder and you couldn't see it.By the time you deleted the filelist and re-downloaded it again the other client must have auto refreshed its filelist and therefor everything looked right.

I dont understand networks very much - i know only the stuff i need so i cant tell you about your router.btw about the crash try doing the same thing with the admin acc.

It was the other way around, where content had been removed. I'd already started downloading but was unable to continue the next time I connected to that user. The sharesize in the user list showed a smaller size than the file list I'd freshly downloaded. (Approximately the size of the files I wanted.) As I said, this was about 24 hours later, and I can only assume a file list refresh had taken place by the smaller user list share size showing. Only once I cleared my copy of the users file list did it reflect the changes. Does the Hub use the filelist sharesize to indicate the users share, or is another method involved?

I keep filelists and they are sorted by date modified, and the one in question appeared near the top, so it would be safe to assume the file was modified at the last download. This makes me suspect that content no longer being shared is not being removed from the existing local copy. This puts the problem at my end, or rather my client.

Sorry I misunderstood your admin question. I don't run with admin priveledges all the time, but have a useful subset that hasn't caused problems before. It still has the same result switching to Admin account.

I'm not using a router that caches content at all.

What is the client at the opposite side, or it is some emulation? Have you spoken with the user?

It was the other way around, where content had been removed. I'd already started downloading but was unable to continue the next time I connected to that user. The sharesize in the user list showed a smaller size than the file list I'd freshly downloaded. (Approximately the size of the files I wanted.) As I said, this was about 24 hours later, and I can only assume a file list refresh had taken place by the smaller user list share size showing. Only once I cleared my copy of the users file list did it reflect the changes. Does the Hub use the filelist sharesize to indicate the users share, or is another method involved?

I keep filelists and they are sorted by date modified, and the one in question appeared near the top, so it would be safe to assume the file was modified at the last download. This makes me suspect that content no longer being shared is not being removed from the existing local copy. This puts the problem at my end, or rather my client.

Sorry I misunderstood your admin question. I don't run with admin priveledges all the time, but have a useful subset that hasn't caused problems before. It still has the same result switching to Admin account.

I'm not using a router that caches content at all.

Hmm... So let me get this straight the users share has been updated. However you had tried to get a file from him, but he possibly deleted it/ moved it in mid download, thus when you tried to resume it failed. Now when you try to get said users file list it crashes. And you only see the old filelist?

so curious about what version of Apex are you running? I'll Assume 0.3.0 for now.

it still could be on the other users end as well, perhaps his file list isn't updating correctly, or perhaps it has and does not send the correct one. As for possibilities on your end try moving his stored file list on your side

out of the apex folder and then re downloading his. Then compare them using notepad or by size etc. if you aren't getting a new file list then it will likely not be your problem :), Apex may be crashing then (if it's not your problem) because the file list being sent has an anomaly in it and Apex can't handle for some reason. :) if they aren't the same anymore well hopefully the problem is fixed... but I think it would be interesting for you to post said filelist up here so we could check it against our own clients perhaps in some way or form.

Hope this helps...

Hi all

Hi Squelch

did you already try the search for alternate function and see if the user you want the file from is also in the search result.

Another thing is that when this user maved the contecnt and also other content on his harddisk, it could also be that he is still hashing. This process could really use a lot of time.

Hi baba.runner,

I'll try a search for alternatives next time I manage to catch the user I'm having the most trouble with. The problem is, I've only managed to find the files I was looking for in his share. Unless I manage to spot him on one of the two hubs I know he uses, I'm a bit stuck.

The download from the user who messaged me to warn me about the moved content, wasn't resumed until I manualy ran search for alternatives. Again, I've only found these files in this users share. I had expected an automatic resume, but 8 hours after he had told me that he was back up, they hadn't. Unfortunatley I haven't seen him since, as one of his hard drives was failing. That's why he moved them so I could finish the running ones.

bigcanuck,

I can probably go one better and supply you with both filelists next time I do see the first user online. I'll refresh his filelist on both hubs at the same time. One I know is the deleted and refreshed version, the other is untouched, and presumably will still show the missing content. It's pointless me sending the existing ones as the timestamps would be inconsistent and meaningless.

Earlier I said the Share size differed by 60 Mb. That was in error. it was 60Gb. Still roughly the size of the files I was getting.

I'm not sure if attaching filelists to a public post is wise. PM me if you prefer another method.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0