Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PANNY

Feature Requests

18 posts in this topic

Can you add this feature? Everytime someone starts downloading from you, ApexDC will sind him a predefined message.

Can you add this feature? Everytime someone starts downloading from you, ApexDC will sind him a predefined message.

What would be the purpose of this feature?

like? 'thnx for the slot' - that would be just spam, and imagine you getting tens of those. :)

Seeker, sending the message to tho ones downloading from me, uploaders. Lots of people do this, and I want to ask them not to upload with multiple instances from same IP, because of the low speeds and number of slots.

Seeker, sending the message to tho ones downloading from me, uploaders. Lots of people do this, and I want to ask them not to upload with multiple instances from same IP, because of the low speeds and number of slots.

Not sure if I follow... so here..

You want to have an auto function, that pm's someone who is downloading from you with multiple instances from the same IP address... so say if user A had two connections to you you would send User A a PM requesting that he not download from both slots? However if User B has 1 connection to you not to send any pms?

You want to have an auto function, that pm's someone who is downloading from you with multiple instances from the same IP address... so say if user A had two connections to you you would send User A a PM requesting that he not download from both slots?

This would be ideal. But sending the message to all that are downloading from you would be good to.

Not sure if I follow... so here..

You want to have an auto function, that pm's someone who is downloading from you with multiple instances from the same IP address... so say if user A had two connections to you you would send User A a PM requesting that he not download from both slots? However if User B has 1 connection to you not to send any pms?

this is resonable. but too much of a hastle i think.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply ask for "maximum connections from same IP"?

yeah! it would be nice option but I don't have much time to write it at this time :)

yeah! it would be nice option but I don't have much time to write it at this time :)

yes much better then sending a pm :)

Wouldn't it be easier to simply ask for "maximum connections from same IP"?

No. Think of the small networks such as schools or internet caffes having to share the same external IP ! You shuld use both the LAN IP and the external IP to determine that the user isn't under a different nick.

I can register a different nick in every hub and when I download something that I know only one user has, and if that user is present in most (if not all) the hubs I'm in, then I will take all the slots I need from that user. L0L sounds complicated... Anyway, I can take up to 10 slots from that user give the fact that there's a max limit of 10 segments. :)

I don't do that. I just wanted to say that someone else might.

SO... Back to the topic. This feature would be nice for a particular folder or file in some folder. For example someone wants to get some plugins for an X application. And those plugins are in that 'some' folder. If someone downloads a file in that folder or the folder itself, then a predefined message would pop up telling him some instructions or a small tutorial of what should and how should those files be used.

You'll probably need to read this post more then once to understant it completly. :)

Makes no sense for me to do it other way. Users has no control how their client choses sources, the can only manually disconnect extra downloads (or disable multisource). And PMs can be simply ignored by users who want to leech at max speed.

And sending PMs..... umm, there was some client that sent back PMs when other passive user tried to download... we (OPs) had a lot of fun reading those spam warning messages on OPchat :)

Don't think it's a good idea.

When ADC will become common there will be no need to worry about current problem, when users will be recognized properly, not depending on nick or hub.

It's not to common to find 2 different users with same IP DLing from You at the same time. Even if such situations happen all they have to do is wait a bit longer until users they share IP with will finish (small price for sharing same IP)

Well.... maybe on some special hubs with a lot of users from same ISP - if You use those don't turn on "maximum connections from same IP" or use high value.

If smo could just explain a working way to do an "ipsend", it will solve the problem (for real IPs), although it will not be unattended. This problem is common for other apps also... Instructions are not so needed, there are F1 and Readme with the appz...

About Kulmegil's: "...And PMs can be simply ignored by users who want to leech at max speed...." Yes, but the message can be repeated, and if no attention - some action to be taken, maybe disconnection from one of the slots. Actually, all this happens most often when the uploader is on 2+ hubs (even with one and the same nick) and the downloader just does not recognize him properly.

In this case if not ADC, then BM will solve the issue, just a matter of time. :)

+ I basically think that would be both to complex (PM send interval, number of warnings before disconnect, fitting PM message controls into gui). And as I know reality devs probably won't like to bother simple users with such stuff as 'customizing PM warning message for multiple users uploading from same IP'. It looks more like a job for some comlex LUA scrpit rather then build-in option.

As for this "ipsend"... (some addition to send internal IP address of user, right?)

I'm not sure about technical possiblities of implementing. Yes, IF possible and someone bother this could solve problem. But only limited number of clients supporting it and ADC next door is it worth the trouble?

Right, it is not worth the trouble.

On a sidenote, ipsend is a command letting you to message someone only knowing his/her IP, via DOS Prompt. Format should be like:

C:\Blabla\>ipsend Hello x.x.x.x , but I can't make it work. So if smo can, please share your experience.

Smth like http://www.worldminer.com/ipmessage.htm , but not for such nasty purposes.

Edited by Zlobomir

I'm still thinking that such requests must not be hardcoded into program, but should be done by some script. I'm waiting for LUA support (at least) :).

When ADC will become common there will be no need to worry
possibly but when you see how much objection dropping old file list formats produces. One has to except that ADC protocol wont be the only protocol implemented for a while. Until there are ADC clients that give "exactly" the same functionality of some of the popular nmdc clients. The NMDC protocol will still be supported in both client and hub soft which will make developing adc exclusive functionality difficult at best

This is probably a wrapper to the "net send" command. however this command requires the receiver (possibly the sender) to have the messenger service running. I think this is disabled by default in win xp sp2. if not it is a good idea to disable it. It is also worth mentioning that people wont be able to send you a message unless you are running on a machine directly connected to the Internet even then it is unlikely to work unless you have no firewall.

some addition to send internal IP address of user, right?

I hope not. Although not a critical security risk. My internal IP address is a piece of information i would prefer to not just give away

edit: here is a link to disable messenger service if anyone is interested

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...e/stopspam.mspx

Edited by balder

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0