Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Squelch

[Support] Does Multisource adversely affect hubs?

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've recently been warned on one of my favorite hubs that multisource clients affect the hub in a bad way. As I'm not entirely sure in what way, and a search of various sources hasn't turned up anything, could someone please enlighten me.

Is this just an automatic reaction, or is there some foundation to it?

Hmm, multi-source makes you download the file lists of all the sources in order to Dd the file itself. Can't remember anything else...

Hmm, multi-source makes you download the file lists of all the sources in order to Dd the file itself. Can't remember anything else...

Downloading filelists with multisource, since when?

Er, this is what I see in Transfers... The client gets TTH, then downloads files.xml.bz2 and then starts to download from the same users...

Er, this is what I see in Transfers... The client gets TTH, then downloads files.xml.bz2 and then starts to download from the same users...

it has nothing to do with multisource. It's due to feature Autosearch automatch queue (or how is it exactly called)

Also multisource has nothing to do with hubs, so it can't affect them in any way.

This is what I suspected.

One could just as easily do a manual search, then download all of the matched users filelists anyway.

I do have autosearch turned on, but have set it to 45 minutes since a warning about search spam. This is reasonable, and I understand the consequences of too many searches, but I fail to see where mutisource can be detrimental.

Does the throughput bandwidth increase in any way on the hub when using segmented downloads? To my mind it reduces the load on one particular particular user or hub. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this conclusion.

If anyone can clear this up I'd be grateful. I'm prepared to defend my use of Apex, but I'd like some facts to back me up.

This is what I suspected.

One could just as easily do a manual search, then download all of the matched users filelists anyway.

I do have autosearch turned on, but have set it to 45 minutes since a warning about search spam. This is reasonable, and I understand the consequences of too many searches, but I fail to see where mutisource can be detrimental.

Does the throughput bandwidth increase in any way on the hub when using segmented downloads? To my mind it reduces the load on one particular particular user or hub. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this conclusion.

If anyone can clear this up I'd be grateful. I'm prepared to defend my use of Apex, but I'd like some facts to back me up.

The only thing to argue against multi-source is that if segments are set too high you use too many slots on the hub, but with the way Apex has set it up I don't belive this to be an issue, as the max is 10 and quite often even when I have 10+ sources I only download from 2 or 3 of them even if they all have open slots. :D

Thanks for clearing that up.

I haven't heard anymore on the subject, and can only put it down to ignorance on the part of the user/bot that sent the message.

Can you please clarify how the segments are allocated? I've noticed some files come in 2 Mb blocks and others at different sizes. Hubs that I'm using DC++ emulation only allow the full or remaining file size, and give an error about no more content. This I assume is safe to ignore.

I'm sorry to say I finally got banned from the hub. I had tried to strike up dialogue with one of the ops, but they failed to see any benefit in ApexDC++. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Doesn't DC++ emulation inhibit segmented downloading from that particular hub? If so what complaint does the hub still have? I've made no secret of the fact I use ApexDC++, in fact it's in my default description now. I've only enabled emulation to get around the "No Tags" script.

Do you have a FAQ outlining the pro's and cons? It might be useful to have a "one stop" hub owners and OP's info pack.

BTW As there were some good sharers on the hub in question. I pm'd my favorites and pointed them at TGO so they can continue to share with me.

When emulating DC++, better use a custom, more ordinary description in Fav Hubs>>Properties. The "No Tags" script is put by the OPs on purpose, so if you lie, lie to the end. ;)

Is SDC++ allowed on this hub? If ALL segment-downloading clients are banned, you may try to convince not only the OPs, but also the majority of the users. Even for a larger hub it wouldn't be hard, if the ones alredy persuaded continue your mission. And when more and more of the users see the advantages of Apex DC++ and segment downloading, the OPs will not have much of a choice. :)

#02. Clients allowed are DC++, McDC, TTH supported oDC or fulDC (No multisource, reverse connect, faking or limiting clients).

So it appears ALL multisource clients are banned.

To be honest, and judging by the language used, the ops on the hub are a lost cause. The opinion I got, was that they suspect ApexDC++ as being a leechers tool. Looking through my logs, and from observation, the up/down flow is about even for the users on that hub. It seems they were not interested in even entertaining the thought it might even be.

I'm of the opinion, that being truthful about your action pays dividends. My description says "Using ApexDC++ with no limits" Some hub ops I've found to be very open to it, and a couple admitted to using PeerWeb, and contemplating a change. Even though some hub scripts fail to recognise Apex, and emulation is the only way to get in. It's only right to not appear underhand. I used the emulate function when first switching to Apex as I was already registered on many of the hubs while using DC++. The hub that banned me found out I was using a multisource client somehow. Maybe because I had advertised it elswhere, or through some othe means.

Apart from reconnecting using DC++ under another nick to finish a couple of incomplete files, I'm not tempted to return to that particular hub. I did send pm's, signing my original nickname, to my favorite users there, explaining that I'd been banned, and the reason. I also told them about TGO so they could continue downloading from me. Perhaps they can carry the message back.

Am I right in thinking that segmented downloads are fairer? I've noticed that large files come in smaller blocks, even if there is only one source. After finishing a segment, there is an idle pause before starting the next, and sometimes I get a "No slots available" message and have to wait. Surely this is better than holding a slot for a very long time, and gives other users a chance with the possiblity of getting the missing portions from them.

I've noticed that large files come in smaller blocks, even if there is only one source.

yes, it's true

After finishing a segment, there is an idle pause before starting the next, and sometimes I get a "No slots available" message and have to wait.

this is false. Pause is maximally 10 ms and you can't lose the slot.

Ah! So it doesn't work out as I thought then. But surely if another user is queueing for that file, they get to connect on my disconnection. Does the slot remain opened?

Is the pause user defineable?

there's no disconnection

puase is defineable by your and user's connection speed and it is how many time the "$ADCGET" command takes

Apart from reconnecting using DC++ under another nick to finish a couple of incomplete files, I'm not tempted to return to that particular hub. I did send pm's, signing my original nickname, to my favorite users there, explaining that I'd been banned, and the reason. I also told them about TGO so they could continue downloading from me. Perhaps they can carry the message back

Squelch, I am greatful that you referred them to the Support hub. it is my hope that they will take the time to check out what apex and other multsource clients have to offer. multisourcing is here to stay. IF the hub wont allow them.. then they are a dying breed that probably only needs help in expediting their death. (NO I am not talking about killing the hubs..) MOST P2P or fileshare/chat structures support this idea because simply its faster, more efficient, and actually overall better user experience. Are you going to stay in a place, where you can only download at 2k per sec times 1 user. or 2k per sec times 20 users? to get a 300+ meg file?

Squelch, I am greatful that you referred them to the Support hub. it is my hope that they will take the time to check out what apex and other multsource clients have to offer. multisourcing is here to stay. IF the hub wont allow them.. then they are a dying breed that probably only needs help in expediting their death. (NO I am not talking about killing the hubs..) MOST P2P or fileshare/chat structures support this idea because simply its faster, more efficient, and actually overall better user experience. Are you going to stay in a place, where you can only download at 2k per sec times 1 user. or 2k per sec times 20 users? to get a 300+ meg file?

Exactly which is why I've also changed my hubs main suggested client to Apex as well even though it doesn't matter too much due to our University Lan connection, but it more or less garrenties extremly fast speeds regardless of slots open :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0