Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadasch

[Support] Upload Slot Usage

8 posts in this topic

Is it the case that there are no controls for the number of upload slots a single user can occupy?

The problem occurs when another user and I are both connected through more than one hub. In this case, the software allows the other user one upload slot for each hub we share. Same thing happens in downloading, of course. I find myself in the "embarrassing" position of seeming to demand more than one slot from a sender just because we happen to be in more than one hub together. This seems wrong.

Either the software should prevent one user from occupying more than one slot, or there should be controls to set the number of simultaneous upload slots allocated to one user, with the default being one.

I have waded through all the settings more than once looking for such controls and cannot find them. I can't believe there isn't a way to control this, but if there is it's not obvious to me.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

gadasch

If you both have the same name then it wont allow another connection but if you have different names then you will have multiple slots. Like [420]johndoe01 and johndoe01 are same person but the client will see it as 2 seperate users while johndoe01 and johndoe01 will be seen as one person and wont connect again.

@ maciver : what if gadasch (or some1 else) doesnt wanna change his nick?

If you both have the same name then it wont allow another connection but if you have different names then you will have multiple slots. Like [420]johndoe01 and johndoe01 are same person but the client will see it as 2 seperate users while johndoe01 and johndoe01 will be seen as one person and wont connect again.

No, actually the nick and the IP are the same most of the time (on both ends). But even if they weren't, seems like multiple upload connections to the same IP should be controllable. If the sender wants to allow it, fine, but the default should be one upload slot per IP.

gadasch

One upload connection per IP, not going to happen as there are network setups that have multiple people behind one or only few IP's

One upload connection per IP, not going to happen as there are network setups that have multiple people behind one or only few IP's

Granted, but you're telling me there's no way to tell that two requests coming from the same IP through two different hubs are from the same requestor? If that's true then it seems like a deficiency in the send/receive negotiation protocol...whatever that's called in the DC++ world.

And, as noted previously, I'm observing this even when the nicks are the same in both hubs.

Not trying to start a technical argument here. Was simply trying to find out if the inability to prevent the allocation of multiple upload slots to the same requestor was my misunderstanding or a real software issue. I guess the answer is that it's a real issue.

Thanks,

..gadasch

@ Crise: Why dont put an option for that?(disabled by default if You wish so...)

In some torrent trackers there is some option like "Trace LAN IP". Can it be made similar?

Edited by Zlobomir

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0